To give DD (4) soya milk...

(70 Posts)
Feminine Tue 24-Sep-13 14:44:04

at school 'milk time'?

The school is fine with it. Apparently the many of her reception class don't like the milk that is provided.

I remembered that sometimes she enjoys the Alpro strawberry carton.

So, she will be drinking one 5 times a week!

I know that the jury is out on soya... is that too much for a little girl?

Obviously I know that with a diary allergy there is little choice. My dd does not have that concern and it made me wonder?

Thanks all smile

Misspixietrix Tue 24-Sep-13 21:04:13

Ds is lacto intolerant he has the alpro soya cartons I bring in. OP I use to get the Big cartons and the Teachers would put it in a Cup for him but then the kids were kicking off wondering why he got to have his in a Cup/beaker and they didnt! grin I buy the vanilla cartons as they dont have plain in the carton with straw Types. It looks more like his friends then so they dont have a meltdown and Ds dont feel left out as he gets to have the 'same' thing as his friends. Its a case of trial and error with soya some of the stuff I wouldnt Feed to a dog is foul and others are actually quite yummy!

Feminine Tue 24-Sep-13 21:08:50

miss I'm going to look for those too. They sound a bit like the 'regular' milk some of the others are having!

Thank you smile

Groovee Tue 24-Sep-13 21:10:46

Can I ask you to check there are no allergies if you do take almond milk. I have a brownie who is allergic to almonds and the school nearly killed her last year when they used marzipan on cakes.

bellablot Tue 24-Sep-13 21:13:00

Something about soya disrupting hormones. Children shouldn't eat too much of the stuff, espesh little girls

Remember something about it not being great for teeth years ago on some TV prog.

Lots of pics of diseased milk teeth!

saggyhairyarse Tue 24-Sep-13 21:17:13

Why isn't the milk cold at your DDs school though? At ours, they divide it up and put it in coolboxes with ice packs outside the classrooms and the kids have it at morning breaktime so it is still chilled.

I would have to read the studies to know whether the research about soya causing premature puberty, affecting ova maturation and embryonic development were relevant to humans.

awaywiththepixies Tue 24-Sep-13 21:36:37

I would rather give my kids coke than soya milk. It's evil, GM in most cases, rubbish.

phantomnamechanger Tue 24-Sep-13 21:44:14

awaywiththepixies - don't be daft, I assume you have never had to make that decision. soya milk for many is the simplest & most widely available alternative to cows milk if there is a problem with dairy.

DD has been on soya milk since she was 3 and is now almost 12. she has coke maybe once every couple of moths when we go out or at a party. she has perfect teeth, no fillings or cavities or shading.

And cows milk is just so great hmm

oohdaddypig Tue 24-Sep-13 21:48:05

I wouldn't. The jury is still out on soy milk. I just don't think we're meant to drink heavily processed soya beans. And not five days a week.

Misspixietrix Tue 24-Sep-13 22:04:51

Does nobodys school have. Fridge? confused DC's school always puts Ds's along with the other Milk in theFridges? The Nursery used to have its own but now hes Reception it goes in the bottom Staffroom. I never liked Dd being given a lukewarm carton that someonehad forgot to put back at the end id the day as a treat <Snob disclaimer> grin. OP they sell the 3packs in Tesco for £1.09. They are next to the Chocolate and Strawberry Milks in the Big Stores smile

kali110 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:10:36

Yanbu! I cant drink milk anymore due to being forced to drink it when i was little and most times it was rank!i always wanted the juice :-(
Get the soya strawberry, its lovely, so is the chocolate and banana!

kali110 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:11:56

I used to have soya nearly everyday sometimes more than once at my last job. Hot chocolate made with soya just tastes soooo much better

ivykaty44 Tue 24-Sep-13 22:16:26

Cows milk is meant for cows, why do humans drink milk that is meant for calfs? Why is milk marketed to be good for you ever wondered if it is propaganda. Why don't two thirds of the world drink milk designed for calfs and not have any problems not drinking the stuff
a few myths about milk

Totally agree ivy

People rely far to heavily on milk to suppliment kids diets. It creates more health problems than it solves.

primarymonkeyhanger Tue 24-Sep-13 22:33:02

I can't believe some kids were 'kicking off' because a child had their own milk in a cup! A child in my class had a milk allergy and mum brought in big cartons of almond milk that she had at milk time. Another child had a yoghurt drink out of his lunchbox, many others get water from the tap.

It should not be an issue at all. I am shocked that the rest of he class are having UHT milk, how come it is not fresh? Ours is delivered everyday about an hour before milk time but we dont have enough fridge space for 150 cartons. It is still cool on all but the hottest day though.

JenaiMorris Tue 24-Sep-13 22:57:54

Strawberry milk, whether from cows, soya beans or hand spun from carefully harvested moonbeams, is surely sweeter than plain milk. And pinker.

It's not really in the spirit of school milk. Am not at all certain about the nutrition side, but it's wrong.

JenaiMorris Tue 24-Sep-13 23:02:52

Hang on, who the fuck is Vivian Goldschmidt, "MA"? I would take that site with a rather large pinch of salt.

kali110 Tue 24-Sep-13 23:03:56

Id would rather my child was drinking something they liked than be forced to drink something they hated.some soya drinks have less calories and sat fat than full fat milk

Misspixietrix Wed 25-Sep-13 00:32:12

primarymonkeyhanger me neither confused one kid had a right meltdown because she wanted hers in a cup like Ds's. To be fair they were 3 and 4 so don't really understand when a teacher tells them why master pixie has to have his in a cup and that his don't really taste very nice as hers but the poor sod has no choice. He doesn't kick off when he sees a kid with something different. He accepts that having such things will leave him with a very upset tummy like it did last week.when he nabbed the sponge and custard for his pudding when the dinner lady wasn't looking! grin

ivykaty44 Wed 25-Sep-13 07:43:00

Jeana to much salt can cause health problems - better to use onion granules or go and read something by a biochemist Colin Cambell or Caldwell Esselstyn a surgeon.

Tbh, with the dairy industry being one if the biggest world wide, and the fact it sponsors sports and is advertised in every drs surgery/nhs facility I don't think anyone will really ever hear the truth about it. Those that do speak ill of milk will forever be renegade to blogs and obscure websites where no one takes it seriously.

DontPanicMrMannering Wed 25-Sep-13 08:13:53

I refuse to give credence to a site supported by fuckwits that declare stuff like

"I have met people with past cancers, that were told they would die soon, but instead of having doctors force feed them their pharmaceutical propaganda, they switched to alternative programs, most were switching to all raw organic vegan diets. Needless to say their cancers reversed and they are still alive and kicking!"

Yeah alright then hmm

And you are entitled to believe what you like too smile

All I know is my kids are far healthier without it than they ever were with it, so no, I don't believe that a substance meant for other animals is good for us.

JenaiMorris Wed 25-Sep-13 08:59:37

'Needless to say their cancers reversed' - that would be funny if it didn't prey on desperate people.

I don't doubt that lots of people are better off reducing or eliminating dairy - I do however doubt people who make out that vegan, raw diets regularly cure terminal cancer.

Mind, I've only got a BA. Who am I to doubt someone with an MA hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now