Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask for recommendation for for a book that explains death to a six year old

(29 Posts)
user10 Mon 23-Sep-13 21:52:15

Just that really. A little family angel going to leave us in a few weeks and I'm looking for anything that will help explain what happening. sad

Growlithe Tue 24-Sep-13 07:18:46

The British Heart Foundation have made a whole pack on this called 'The Small Creature'. It's appropriate for any bereavement situation, not just heart related. I haven't got the pack, but there is a video on their website that tells the story of the sall creature losing his friend, bird. It explains all the different emotions he felt and suggests ways to deal with them, in a very child friendly way. I've got to say I felt it helped me too.

Tanith Tue 24-Sep-13 07:31:50

When one of our mindees died, we used Gentle Willow and The Snowman. We also used an activity book: Muddles, Puddles and Sunshine.
I recommend contacting Winston's Wish, too; they're very helpful. We made up one of their Memory boxes.

www.winstonswish.org.uk

Amy106 Tue 24-Sep-13 07:32:25

Always and Forever by Alan Durant

peppersaunt Tue 24-Sep-13 09:22:41

I found The Fall of Freddie the Leaf quite lovely for my 5 year old when my mum died.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now