Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu to think the school lunch DD had today was a joke?

(223 Posts)
ICameOnTheJitney Mon 23-Sep-13 21:31:37

Seriously....noodles and a beef burger with no bun...the other veg on offer was potatoes and cauli....followed bu "A cookie as big as my face" according to DD aged 5. Is that crap or am I fussy? She usually has a packed lunch....

dollywashers Mon 23-Sep-13 21:33:58

My youngest dd once had cucumber and a Yorkshire pudding. She's now on packed lunch.

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:35:29

Presumably you had to pick the meal in advance from the menu? Go for packed lunches if you're not happy with what the school provides.

hungryallthetime Mon 23-Sep-13 21:37:41

It sounds crap to me, but Nick Clegg would probably call it a 'hot, nutritious meal'! :-D

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 23-Sep-13 21:38:38

And this is why we won't be taking up the offer of free school dinners!

YANBU.

Seriously? That's it? Potatoes are a carb not a vegetable. Potatoes and noodles and a cardboard burger. If your paying for that then complain. That's appalling.

hiddenhome Mon 23-Sep-13 21:40:23

Ds2 used to be given pizza and baked potato hmm

He's on packed lunch now too.

MrsWolowitz Mon 23-Sep-13 21:40:43

Presumably you had to pick the meal in advance from the menu?

Why do you presume this?

YANBU, that is a crap dinner.

ItsNotATest Mon 23-Sep-13 21:40:43

Did she choose the noodles? Beef burger, potatoes and cauliflower doesn't sound terrible.

Buns aren't compulsory with burgers.

minihahawithafringe Mon 23-Sep-13 21:41:25

was there a bun but she didnt eat it?

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:42:51

Why do you presume this?
In every school I've worked in, meals have to be chosen in advance from the menu.

Many schools also work on a first come first served basis. Hence things running out and kids having ridiculously crap combinations and filling up on bread. Not unusual at sll

Smoorikins Mon 23-Sep-13 21:45:25

I would presume its what she chose from the options available.

I've never been given the option to choose my kids school meals.

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:45:52

Fair enough then! Seems a bit inefficient though!

MrsWolowitz Mon 23-Sep-13 21:46:03

GetStuffezd I've never heard of that. Maybe its a regional thing.

SmallTorch Mon 23-Sep-13 21:46:42

At our primary, I have never seen a menu. The children pick themselves, right drom reception.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 23-Sep-13 21:47:32

I think that would be a good idea Getstuffezd, but it certainly doesn't happen here.
That's rubbish OP, I wouldn't be happy with that at all.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 23-Sep-13 21:48:02

GetStuffezd that isn't how it works at DS1's school, the children choose on the day unless it is a 'special' meal (Christmas, Harvest Festival etc).

It is a joke, which is why DS1 has packed lunch, and why he will still have packed lunch even when this mad plan to give free lunches to all infants is rolled out.

phantomnamechanger Mon 23-Sep-13 21:48:12

noodles and meat balls, rather than burger, I could understand - but you'd expect some sauce/salad too

Tiggles Mon 23-Sep-13 21:48:12

DS1 once got 3 chicken nuggets for dinner (he must have been about 10 at the time). They had run out of everything else.
Best £2.10 I've ever spent hmm.

shrunkenhead Mon 23-Sep-13 21:48:34

Do you not get a copy of the menu on a regular basis? Other wise, perhaps tell your child to make wiser choices if they are not opting for any veg and getting abit carb heavy.

phantomnamechanger Mon 23-Sep-13 21:49:33

our school sends out the menus for the term in advance, so you can book the days you want and avoid the days you don't.

GetStuffezd Mon 23-Sep-13 21:49:44

Not sure it's just regional as I've worked across the country, but I'm surprised it's not more widespread. Works very well with minimal wastage. Anyway, sorry for hijacking, OP, but I think this is a sign it's time to move onto packed lunches!

steppemum Mon 23-Sep-13 21:49:47

that is why I just don't get this whole push to hot meals.

How is a bad hot meal better or more nutritious than a packed lunch?

ours aren't bad, but they aren't anything to write home about.

Sirzy Mon 23-Sep-13 21:52:18

This thread reminds me why I will still be sending a packed lunch next year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now