To think, actually, no method of contraception will suit me?

(50 Posts)
FennCara Mon 23-Sep-13 20:45:34

I'm breastfeeding, so combined pill is out.

I'm rubbish with the minipill and forgot it enough to get pregnant.

Condoms, although a must in terms of sexual health, have torn THREE TIMES and I really want an additional method.

I am terrified of needles, the injection and implant fill me with fear.

I know a couple of babies conceived with the coil in place, but I'm open to positive stories. Ditto IUS.

I've never had regular periods so natural methods are out.

The patch? Does it work in real life?

I dont want any more children but not certain enough for permemant methods.

What do you use & how is it? Why is there not a pill you take once a month?!

Loopytiles Mon 23-Sep-13 21:59:07

Vasectomy!

christinarossetti Mon 23-Sep-13 22:04:58

Thanks, will do. My GP made it sound like they aren't really available anymore, although a quick consultation with Dr Google suggests otherwise.

MrsMongoose Tue 24-Sep-13 01:58:38

I think you should man up and get injected.

Lottystar Tue 24-Sep-13 02:06:49

Just to say if you don't want another bouncing bundle, get on whatever contraceptive as soon as you can (or your partner of course) wink I fell pregnant when my first baby was 3 months old ... Didn't think it would happen to me, breast feeding etc. It did. Obviously I wouldn't change a thing now I have my second little fella smile

I vote vasectomy. grin

What about the ring. I'm not in the UK so I don't know if it's available there.

Driz Tue 24-Sep-13 06:09:52

If you won't take contraception properly, then you should probably look at permanent methods.

glastocat Tue 24-Sep-13 06:21:54

I bloody love my copper coil. A few horrible minutes getting it fitted ( take vodka and Valium) followed by twelve years and counting trouble free contraception, and no hormones too.

FellatioNelson Tue 24-Sep-13 06:28:50

Why don't you use a condom and a diaphragm simultaneously?

On their own they are both pretty crap (mostly because it's so easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment and not bother to use them at all, rather than a genuine failure rate) but assuming you do actually make the effort to insert/wear then I imagine they make a pretty impenetrable combination.

Fairylea Tue 24-Sep-13 06:45:50

I got pregnant with dd using the diaphragm, and was using it properly too.

Could you consider taking the pill again but leaving the packet somewhere you will always remember everyday? Mine is tucked inside the same cupboard as the mugs - so when I go to make my first cup of tea for the day the packet is staring me in the face. You could also set a daily alarm on your phone. I also make sure I have a spare packet in my bag just incase I do forget and I am out then I can take one - hasn't happened yet but good to know its there!

meditrina Tue 24-Sep-13 06:55:12

Persona is horribly unreliable, and I don't think you can get it in UK any more for thtreason.

Mirena or Nuavaring is probably best for you.

Though if another pg really would be disastrous, you might find that your ability to take minipill properly improves dramatically.

juniper9 Tue 24-Sep-13 08:27:27

Cerazette is a mini pill that has a 12 hour window like the combined pill. I was on it for years until I swapped to something similar (but can't remember its name now).

Ruralninja Tue 24-Sep-13 08:45:21

I second the nuvaring, it's absolutely fab - lowest dose of hormones you can have and you can just forget about it for three weeks at a time

FennCara Tue 24-Sep-13 09:30:22

The baby's seven weeks so still needs a lot of milk, didn't realise you could still take combined later on though.

The condom thing: one was an ancient 'lucky one' kept in a wallet so was weakened (I was a v young and an idiot at the time); one was nails; one was my broken engagement ring!

"D"H ran away months ago so definitely not a stealth boast in that department.

I can't really insist new conquests have a vasectomy, I'm not that much of a catch!

Theas18 Tue 24-Sep-13 09:36:08

Combined methods ( pill patch nuvaring etc) are not " completely out" in established breast feeding. You need to be aware they can affect supply and work at it though. 7 weeks is probably a bit early.

Can I just ask a blunt question, and I'm not asking it to be rude.

How important is it to you and your partner for you NOT to get pregnant at the moment?

If it's actually really vital you should be motivated to look at alternative strategies to manage taking cerazette every 24hrs ( with a 12hr window) eg alarm on phone, tick calendar etc etc.

If it was an epilepsy pill that, for instance meant that poor pill taking could lead to a fit and loss of driving licence ( on which perhaps your job depended) you would manage , somehow to take that pill every day without fail....

BeatrixIsPotty Tue 24-Sep-13 09:38:24

I have a ten year copper coil, it is great, I had it fitted and that is it, done. Once a month after my period I check that the strings are still there and that is all I ever have to do, for ten years!

MrsWedgeAntilles Tue 24-Sep-13 09:54:55

The nuvaring has the same type of hormones as the combined pill so if you've been advised not to take the pill you probably should steer clear of the ring as well. Also the ring is quite new so there isn't the depth of evidence as to its effect on breast feeding as there is with other, more established methods.

I'm laughing at the though of how you would manage your chat up lines if you had to invite every new man to pop along for the snip grin

A lot of this advice is brilliant but working out which method is best for you is a bit like buying shoes or bras, you really have to get down to clinic and work it out with some one who's trained.

FennCara Tue 24-Sep-13 10:20:51

MrsWedge I can't imagine much success.

I'll talk it through with a nurse. Joking aside, it's vital I don't get pregnant. Yes, I know, in that case I shouldn't be having sex. It's fairly vital that I don't crash my car as well but I still drive it (albeit with a seatbelt on...).

MrsWedgeAntilles Tue 24-Sep-13 10:36:00

Sex is much more important than driving OP grin
There will be something for you, you just need to explore your options and the best thing for you will pop up.

HeirToTheIronThrone Tue 24-Sep-13 10:42:56

I understand the needle fear ruling out injections, but the implant needs one tiny injection in your arm once every three years, just to numb it. If you can manage that it's a good option, no need to even think about it after it's gone in.

ChairmanMeoww Tue 24-Sep-13 13:57:38

People with Minerva - did it cause you any weight gain?

TheFuzz Tue 24-Sep-13 14:02:51

Vasectomy long term, but not if you plan any more kids. Might also ruin your sex life also if your hubby is one of the unfortunate ones.

I have to agree with the implant people on this.
It really is just a little local injection and then it's in.
And it lasts 3 years.
I got a period with it in month 1 and haven't had one now for 9 months.

I wanted the coil to start with but they couldn't get it in - couldn't even open my cervix open so that was a no go - and bloomin' painful to boot!

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 24-Sep-13 14:14:55

Well hang on, if you're talking a new relationship/casual sex then you need to use condoms anyway. I would just stick with those personally until your baby is older, then go on the pill. Keep a supply so you don't end up using an expired one, check for kite mark when buying (Durex, Mates and Trojan all have these and they're the most common brands to buy anyway) - Boots often have 2 for 1 on condom packs. At least if it breaks, it's usually obvious - I'm guessing you don't wear the broken ring now? Aside from the nails issue they all sound avoidable to me. (Not judging the past, just - for the future!)

redexpat Tue 24-Sep-13 16:20:50

I have the patch and I love it. No weight gain, regular light periods (can put my mooncup in the night before I'm due), no pmt, and no pregnancy. I'm not sure if you can use the patch whilst bf?

McNewPants2013 Tue 24-Sep-13 18:49:48

Nothing is 100%.

Have a look on the FPA websites loads of different choices for you to look at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now