to be fed up with DH deciding he needs his shower when its the kids bedtime?

(45 Posts)
BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 18:59:21

Its 6.55, i get the kids ready for bed at 7pm and he's just decided, having been sat on his hole for the last 25 minutes since he got up (he works nights), that NOW, RIGHT NOW is when he needs to go and have his shower.

Means i cant get in there to brush the kids teeth and let them go to the toilet until he's done. They need to go to bed, they're tired, but noooo, now i have to keep them up longer!

angry

turn the shower off............

littlemisswise Mon 23-Sep-13 19:02:34

Why can't they go in there?

I would just take them in and carry on if it were me.

littlemissnormal Mon 23-Sep-13 19:02:41

Run the hot water tap!

Johnny5needsinput Mon 23-Sep-13 19:02:41

Run the hot tap in the kitchen.

TeaAddict235 Mon 23-Sep-13 19:02:43

Start doing something else like washing up or cleaning, and ask him to give the kids a quick bath! Do it reguarly, and he'll get the message.

Why can you not go in there when he is showering?

MortifiedAdams Mon 23-Sep-13 19:03:14

Send them in with him, "go with daddy, he will do your teeth before he has his shower".

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 19:05:34

because he locks the door. and shower is on different loop so running water in kitchen doesn't work.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 23-Sep-13 19:07:54

turning the water off at the stop cock would though. [grumpy]

EllesAngel Mon 23-Sep-13 19:11:57

Start getting them ready at 6.50pm from tomorrow.

NotYoMomma Mon 23-Sep-13 19:15:00

take the piss out of him. or next time when he says he is about to go in, dart in first and lock the door abd point out its no different to what he does

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 23-Sep-13 19:21:36

Jeez how utterly selfish and thoughtless! Tuen the water heater off so he has no hot water <wicked emoticon- don't think I'd be mean enough to do that!>

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 19:22:09

i huffed and puffed loudly about "lets you guys into your pjs so we can get your teeth done WHEN DADDYS FINISHED in the bathroom"

he came back out after deciding to contemplate his navel for a bit first.. so have got them to bed.

Just getting annoyed with him doing this most nights, its not like he doesn't know what time the kids go to bed.

AnyFucker Mon 23-Sep-13 19:25:15

Why doesn't Daddy do the bed routine thing while he is up there ?

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 19:29:28

because our bathroom is downstairs off the living room grin

we live in an ancient terrace thats 150+ yrs old, the bathroom was built into an extension off the downstairs to maintain 3 bedrooms upstairs.

MissStrawberry Mon 23-Sep-13 19:32:20

Because he doesn't want too.

He prats about getting himself sorted so that he doesn't have to do any parenting.

IrisWildthyme Mon 23-Sep-13 19:33:29

How unbelievably selfish!

Until such time as he sees the error of his ways - get a potty (if you don't already have one) for last minute toilet before bed. BUT make it a house rule that whoever is monopolizing the bathroom is in charge of emptying and cleaning the potty if it has to be used while the bathroom can't be accessed. Teeth cleaning can be done anywhere in the house - you just need a glass of water from the kitchen and an empty glass to spit into.

TBH though I'm not sure I'd bother with a relationship with someone quite that self-centred. Nor am I quite sure what the value is of a relationship where you feel more able to moan to complete strangers on mumsnet about this kind of annoying behaviour rather than addressing the issue with him. It's not like it's emotional or physical abuse, it's just unthoughtfulness and if he's a grownup it should go: "I'm having a shower"/"Please hold off for 10 minutes while I do the kids teeth"/"OK" or alternately "I'll need the bathroom for the kids bedtime in half an hour - can you make sure you're done with the shower by then". If these conversations can't happen, there is something much more seriously wrong than the timing of the kids bedtime. I mean, have you not talked to him about it?

Therealamandaclarke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:38:07

That would drive me nuts tbh.
If he did it regularly I would have something happen to the lock. Just remove or disable it. Things are always getting broken in homes aren't they?
Then be clear about the Dcs routine and stick to it.
He can either shower before, after or with them. Without you having to wait or rush.

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 19:40:19

he does plenty of parenting thanks hmm, he's a very hands-on dad.

He's just annoying me with this thing about deciding bedtime is a good time for his shower.

Therealamandaclarke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:40:26

Ow old are the DCs? My dh sometimes has his shower while ds is in the bath, then I can get on with something else MN-ing

Therealamandaclarke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:42:21

Ow? Sorry. How.

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 19:43:13

Iris, yes.. he's just struggling getting back into the 'school' routine as the kids went to bed later over summer holidays.

Toe has been applied up his backside about it and he has apologised, he promises he'll make sure i get the kids to brush teeth before he goes in there from now on.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 23-Sep-13 19:46:04

Bring forward the time you get the kids ready for bed. If he responds by bringing forward showertime then ask him what the fuck he thinks hes doing.

Therealamandaclarke Mon 23-Sep-13 19:46:21

Hurrah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now