To think AA Gill must be the most joyless journalist on the planet.

(242 Posts)
Vintageclock Mon 23-Sep-13 13:38:42

He just moans and drones about everything. His restaurant reviews are almost unreadable and he seems to make a point of despising the kind of television programmes that the Hoi Polloi love. Why doesn't he just go and live on top of a tree someplace where he can look down on the rest of us, lip curled with total disdain.

mlamle Mon 23-Sep-13 13:43:36

He can take David Starkey up there with him while he's at it. And Liz Jones, who will have to make her own clothes from leaves...

springybuffy Mon 23-Sep-13 13:47:49

They should rename the Sunday Times AA Gill because he writes most of it.

He has too much power and too much space - challenge is good for a person and he has none. He used to be amazing back in the day but now he spreads slime over everything he touches. Such a shame, he is monstrously clever.

newgirl Mon 23-Sep-13 13:50:09

Agree - a good brain wasted on criticising tv and food. Perhaps he should try writing a drama?

wanderings Mon 23-Sep-13 14:27:25

The fictional review by AA Gill in "Adrian Mole - the Cappuccino Years":

"The sausage on my plate could have been a turd. It looked like a turd, tasted like a turd, smelled like a turd, had the texture of a turd. In fact, thinking about it, it probably was a turd."

wanderings Mon 23-Sep-13 14:28:06

No apologies for quoting the above - how joyless of me! grin

FitzgeraldProtagonist Mon 23-Sep-13 14:39:52

He's Hilarious. I love a curmudgeon. If DP (funnily enough, a true optimist) ever shuffles off I will be begging AA Gill to be his blonde.

Vintageclock Mon 23-Sep-13 14:58:45

I don't know how his current blonde puts up with him. Surely all that weary cynicism would wear you down after a while?

EstelleGetty Mon 23-Sep-13 15:02:20

He is a boring dick. His sarkyness is so....90s.

And he's terrified of anywhere north of the Watford Gap.

Beeyump Mon 23-Sep-13 15:03:54

He makes me feel nervous.

Nancy66 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:05:49

He has the worst halitosis I've ever encountered.

HarlotOTara Mon 23-Sep-13 15:06:37

He says he's a Scot though

grovel Mon 23-Sep-13 15:09:41

He doesn't drink alcohol. No wonder he's so miserable.

curlew Mon 23-Sep-13 15:10:29

He's best friend is Jeremy Clarkson.

He shot a baboon to see what it felt like.
(No so hilarious, perhaps?)

No more need be said.

mignonette Mon 23-Sep-13 15:16:23

Didn't he show naked photo's of his partner, Nicola Formby to Piers Morgan over lunch once?

He also has the insecurity of an auto didact around academics.

Maybe part of the reason why Mary Beard makes him feel so threatened and confused.

curlew Mon 23-Sep-13 15:20:08

And he started the Mary Beard thing. And made ghastly homophobic jokes about Clare Balding.

Even more hilarious. Positive National Treasure material.

motherinferior Mon 23-Sep-13 15:21:10

Isn't he the one who is convinced he is incredibly goodlooking, too?

Kinnane Mon 23-Sep-13 15:29:38

Joyless too is Giles Coren. Describing the front row at London Fashion Week he says".....the dregs of society's shallowest echelon gawping down the runway..." ..."Our catwalk catastrophe has exposed the world of fashion. Behind the emaciated face is a sick heart ..... "
and
" Well, thank God London Fashion Week is over for another season. Ye Gods, what a procession of vain lunacy and simpering dimness. What a mockery of all that is modest and decent. What a hideous picture of female priorities and preoccupations. What a nuclear explosion of vomitous superficiality, custom-made and hand-finished to blast the public perception of women back to the Stone Age.
......"

i'm lost for words smile

LadybirdsEverywhere Mon 23-Sep-13 15:30:14

I think he's hilarious, most notably in his Uncle Dysfunctional column.

BringMeTea Mon 23-Sep-13 15:37:24

A very unpleasant person. I think the auto didact comment is correct. I believe he is dyslexic and I get the impression he revels in his flowery prose as some kind of salve for past academic troubles. This would help to explain his love of Jeremy. Makes him feel superior as no man more dim than him exists.

Think it was actually the Blonde herself who showed P Morgan the nekkid pics... Nice.

Beeyump Mon 23-Sep-13 15:52:09

Kinnane Whenever I read Giles Coren's Saturday piece in the Times, I always feel vaguely stupid - like, am I missing out on the big, amazing joke? Am I just being slow and dull? Or is he really just a numpty.

usuallyright Mon 23-Sep-13 15:53:59

Peter Hitchens (daily mail) is more joyless.

EstelleGetty Mon 23-Sep-13 16:02:47

He is a Scot only by birth. And that could happen to anyone. He is one of those Scots who revel in their family's country piles, stag's head on the wall, recite a bit o' Rabbie wae a dram, but who would never, ever dreaming of living here unless his home was flanked by a ten-deep army of gunmen.

Which is totally fine with the Scottish population - I'd imagine most of us don't want him! grin

Beeyump Mon 23-Sep-13 16:07:21

Estelle - agreed grin

curlew Mon 23-Sep-13 17:26:33

"I think he's hilarious, most notably in his Uncle Dysfunctional column"

Yep. Especially when he shot a baboon through the lungs to see what it was like to kill a man.......absolutely hilarious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now