To be Happy I do not have to worry about Christmas...Because I married jewish?

(91 Posts)
Chickensoupyum Mon 23-Sep-13 13:23:58

That's all really grin

candycoatedwaterdrops Mon 23-Sep-13 14:40:15

I'm Jewish, we do Chanukah and Christmas. As children, we got small presents on each night of a Chanukah and one big present on Christmas day. There is loads of 'discussion' (like Tee said) about which sent of grandparents to go to on first night Seder or to light the candles on Chanukah. This year, there was nearly a family riot because my sister and I chose to spend Rosh Hashana with our mum's side and not our dad's, lots of guilt and "this is what your recently deceased grandpa would have wanted". Honestly, it's chaos. I love it really sometimes.

Tee2072 Mon 23-Sep-13 14:45:05

I got away from it candycoated by moving to Belfast. grin

twistyfeet Mon 23-Sep-13 14:54:56

lol at the Seder table drama. It's already on my mind grin

DidoTheDodo Mon 23-Sep-13 14:56:56

I'm a Christian and am jolly glad I DO have Christmas to "worry" about!
Even though I actually don't like the part/presents/family/food part of it. The spiritual significance and renewal is good enough for me.

ashleysilver Mon 23-Sep-13 15:13:00

YANBU I'm Jewish and I feel the same. I can bypass all of that stuff, I feel no obligation. We don't do anything at home on the day, just watch tv and eat mince pies.

SamG76 Mon 23-Sep-13 15:16:24

We try to go the whole festive period without mentioning anything Xmas related. There's a family forfeit system in place for anyone who does!

HarderToKidnap Mon 23-Sep-13 15:19:53

Christmas-loving Jew here. It's my favourite festival as I don't have to go to shul for it.

I'm Jewish and we celebrate 'Christmas' (or rather, it's more her cultural heritage and it's fun) too. It's extra low key, but we still have a tree, some presents and a nice meal.

candycoatedwaterdrops Mon 23-Sep-13 15:34:09

My maternal grandparents fuck off to their holiday home in Israel for the main festivals to avoid the drama. See, older does mean wiser! wink

SorrelForbes Mon 23-Sep-13 15:34:55

I'm Jewish, Dh isn't. We sort of do both but really any celebration is just a cultural thing. I'll probably go to Shul and DH will stay home with the DSC and eat!

FlapJackFlossie Mon 23-Sep-13 15:42:13

Any more smug posts, OP ??? hmm

SecretWitch Mon 23-Sep-13 15:49:24

Convert here. My oldest children are Catholic, my husband, and my youngest dd are Jewish. We celebrate everything. We tend to be very low key though so spin the dreidel, decorate the tree, eat latkes all at the same time..

Mimishimi Mon 23-Sep-13 22:44:54

Don't you still have your own side of the family to buy presents for and will be expected to attend their events? Hope you have fun throwing out/cleaning out every bit of grain from your house before Passover each year. Every religion has tiresome aspects to some of it's festivals....it's sad that you don't just see it as a time to hang out with your family.

squoosh Mon 23-Sep-13 22:51:39

I missed the memo saying Christmas had to be stressful and a pain in the ass. It's only as stressful as you want it to be.

I'd like to be in a multi cultural family, more stuff to celebrate!

sonlypuppyfat Mon 23-Sep-13 22:52:53

All that cleaning must be very stressful.

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 23-Sep-13 23:03:28

I have enjoyed Christmas more as DH and I have significantly scaled back the festivities over the years.

My favorite holiday is US Thanksgiving; no presents, just food, friends, and family.

TheSporkforeatingkyriarchy Mon 23-Sep-13 23:22:06

I understand OP, it can be very unloading to know you don't have another issue on your plate and quite happy to avoid another conflict. Personally, I gave all of Christmas up when I left home, the peace and release of it was and still remains to be great, quite happy without it and in our own celebrations.

foreverondiet Mon 23-Sep-13 23:34:46

But same discussions on whose house you having Passover Seder with or rosh hashana? Yes Chanukah isn't that significant. My friends who aren't Jewish are amazed as I seem to have a "Christmas" scale festival every few months.... So yabu!!

pippop1 Tue 24-Sep-13 00:08:04

Oy vei! I'm glad I don't Christmas too. We have a family meal as no one is working that day though. We also eat Christmas pudding (veggie one) as it's so yummy and such an easy dessert (if you buy it).

DS2's friend asked him round for christmas as she felt sorry for him. He enjoyed it I think.

FairPhyllis Tue 24-Sep-13 00:35:46

Is going to a Chinese restaurant or getting Chinese takeaway at Christmas a thing for Jews in Britain? I ask because all my US Jewish friends have always told me that this is basically the Christmas tradition for Jews in the US now.

The family aspects of Christmas have strangely become less important to me since I became a Christian - I feel like it is mainly atheists, agnostics and the vaguely spiritual who get really het up about it being a family event. I suppose if the family gathering is the main event of the day for you there is more pressure to have the Perfect Family Day. I don't really care about that side of it now as long as I can find somewhere I can go to mass.

OP I can't imagine that getting ready for Passover is any less stressful than getting ready for Christmas - and at least the shops won't be blaring seasonal music at you while you're doing it.

AdoraBell Tue 24-Sep-13 00:44:34

I don't have to worry about Christmas because I'm not much of a people pleasergrin

Catkinsthecatinthehat Tue 24-Sep-13 00:47:36

A colleague is Catholic and married to an American Jew. They do Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas (twice - it's his second marriage so he does Christmas dinner with his wife and then the kids come round and they do it again on Boxing Day) and New Year. In January he does Weightwatchers....

Morloth Tue 24-Sep-13 00:52:22

I am a non-discriminatory celebrator.

As a member of a multi-cultural family there is always a reason to have a party/festival.

Is most excellent.

kingbeat23 Tue 24-Sep-13 00:54:45

I'm Jewish. We do Christmas. The only things we don't do is go to church. We had all the squabbles about whose house to go to (split families - 4 sets of grandparents for my siblings) and more.

As PPs have said you have more festivals to cope with too. 8 days of Chanukah, Purim, Pesach and all the other ones.

I like Christmas.

raisah Tue 24-Sep-13 01:07:44

My family are muslim & we don't officially celebrate xmas but it is the only day we are off together so we usually visit or host. It is nice to have a none christmassy christmas without the faff. I do make a big deal out of Eid so my dc know that is our main celebrations but at 2 &4 they just want presents & they think santa is my dad! Also I have a few none muslim sils now so I do buy them gifts etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now