Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to NEVER drink again!?!

(38 Posts)
Icantstopeatinglol Sun 22-Sep-13 23:08:56

Hangover from hell and that's it I've decided I don't need to drink! I'm not a raging alcoholic but I just can't handle my drink anymore and ended a good night in a total state!
Gym and healthy eating is the way forward I think from now on!
Jeez I'm 35, I need to grow up!
Aibu to think I can do this? It can't be that difficult even if others are drinking?

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 22-Sep-13 23:51:20

SP 20/20 and Thunderbird were the drinks in my late teens! Tastes like fecking rocket fuel!!

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Sun 22-Sep-13 23:52:05

I gave up drinking three months ago after a(nother) drunken argument with DH which totally ruined our evening. I'm embarrassed to say I threw my rings at him in a field and then had to spend 15 minutes combing through grass trying to find them.

I was so embarrassed and ashamed by my behaviour I've not touched a drop since - and have done hen parties, weddings, holidays etc in that time. I don't miss it as I've decided to do without. There is no temptation, and I'm pleased that it's becoming normal for me to not drink now - my friends no longer question it.

I still feel crappy the next day after not enough sleep though.

I loved the orange one. I'm tempted to buy a bottle for the bride it was her I used to drink it with grin

Its all black sambucca shots these days.

MrsKoala Sun 22-Sep-13 23:55:39

Since i had DS a year ago my hangovers are awful - well, tbh they probably are no worse than before, but not being able to laze around eating crap and snooze and shag all day means they feel much worse. Having to get up at 6 and function with a baby is more shit than any fun the night before could possibly be.

So altho i still drink, i rarely get drunk now. But then again i can still have 6 pints and not feel drunk or hungover so i should be alright. If i had one glass of red wine tho i'd be spewing the whole next day. What is it about having babies which changes what you can drink?

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 23-Sep-13 00:04:20

hotel I'm always wary going out with dh drinking cos we have had many a ruined night with alcohol. Not just me though, he's the same but i think when you've had a drink you just say what you want without thinking!

sp me and my bf used to drink the orange one as quick as we could!....feel like vomming now just thinking about it!

mrskoala I think after you have kids your priorities change and you're not getting enough sleep to cope either!
Im definately calling it a day on getting hammered and going to save drinking for birthdays etc!

Lj8893 Mon 23-Sep-13 00:35:14

Yanbu. But everyone says it don't they!

I'm 25, and a good drunk, Im just an exaggerated version of myself. However, no matter how much or what I drink, I die the next day. Like actually die.

I'm 8 months pregnant and dreading my first night out after I have had the baby!!

AnaisHendricks Mon 23-Sep-13 00:39:24

I did three months off no problem and I bloody LOVE wine.

It really is about taking it a day at a time and relishing the extra energy and positives.

Nobody ever said, "I really wish I got drunk last night"

I'm going off until Christmas and looking forward to it. Good luck smile

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 23-Sep-13 07:47:53

I'm actually looking forward to not drinking and feeling fresh as a daisy! Still feeling sluggish today, it is just poisoning your body at the end of the day. Think I've had my time getting mortal and I'm going to concentrate on staying healthy!

Cat98 Mon 23-Sep-13 07:53:34

I did this last week and vowed from now on my limit will be 2 large glasses max (on a night out). Enough to get tipsy but not falling down drunk!
Time will tell.

HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Mon 23-Sep-13 08:17:15

Yes DH is just as bad. The stupid thing is often our arguments have been as a result of misunderstandings - and more than once we've been arguing the same side of the argument but too stupid to realise it.

He still has the odd drink, but is generally a lot more moderate than me - I tend to be all or nothing! But since I stopped I think, stag weekend aside, he's had a glass of wine on a night out and had two glasses at a wedding and that's it. I'm very impressed that he's being supportive and sensible.

fatlazymummy Mon 23-Sep-13 09:10:48

Go for it OP. If you hate being teetotal you can always start drinking again, but it's worth trying.
I've been teetotal for 3 years now and feel so much better for it.

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 23-Sep-13 18:19:24

Thanks everyone, I'm thinking mainly my health too. I take tablets for inflammatory arthritis and as much as they say as long as I don't drink more than 14 units a wk i still don't think it can be ok?
My dh has started exercising more recently too and he's not drinking as much so it shouldn't be too bad. Infact I'm happy to go for it! smile)

Do it, if you want to. I very rarely drink, the last time was 2 years ago just before getting pregnant. I am a pleasant, giggly, energetic drinker, but I cannot handle the after effects and it ruins the whole next day.

Occasionally I will have a mojito, but that's about it. I never did drink wine or beer.

I honestly find that other people are more bothered by me not having a drink than I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now