To think school reading logs are a pain?

(36 Posts)
pointythings Sun 22-Sep-13 22:04:50

They drive me mad. DD (Yr6) gets books home from school. They are really good books - Inkheart, that kind of thing. Really excellent children's literature. She is supposed to read for half an hour a day from her school book.

Trouble is, she creeps off and reads them constantly. Half the time I don't know she's reading them, because she's curled up in the spare room with them and reads them. In a week, she's read them. And can discuss content too.

Am I supposed to stalk her around the house to check what she is reading and when? To complicate matters, she also usually has a library book on the go at the same time. It's driving me up the wall.

WIBU to enter entirely fictional entries into DD's reading log, given that she is a complete bibliovore and I can't keep up with it all?

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Mon 23-Sep-13 11:21:22

I don't bother.

DS is 10 and is a good reader. That's enough for me. I'm not stalking him around the house or interviewing him about what he's reading/read.

I'm currently trying to teach him independence. He's just started popping to the corner shop, staying home alone, etc. He can read what he likes, I don't need to know.

Besides, what goes on at home is none of the school's business anyway and I want him to read for pleasure like I do. I'd rather he didn't associate reading with homework. Might put him off!!

hmm

grin

DIYapprentice Mon 23-Sep-13 11:21:59

If I wanted him to be a public sector worker I'd get him to fill in the sodding log.. talk about a waste of everyones time.

Or maybe a top solicitor in a law firm who has to account for every minute spent on a client's case for the charge sheet?

Filling forms in is a fact of life!

It doesn't have to be that bad, child fills it in with page numbers on a daily basis. At the end of the book they make a brief note of why they liked/didn't like the book, would they like to read more of that author.

It's good preparation for future studying - when you have to analyse what you've read, and prepare yourself to write an essay on it.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 23-Sep-13 11:28:54

You could just put: ' w/c 23 Sept read X book over a number of nights.' You don't need to make a meal of it.

ClockWatchingLady Mon 23-Sep-13 11:30:11

Yep, I gave up with filling in that stuff when DS was in reception. If he wants to read, he reads. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He seems to be doing fine. I do wonder whether I'll be the same with DD though - maybe more, er, disobedient feisty children need more monitoring!

BlueSkySunnyDay Mon 23-Sep-13 11:32:55

DS is a brilliant but unwilling reader - school have an obsession with "reading 4 times or more a week" If they read 4 times they get a team point - even if its only been one page.

After the week where he read a few chapters over two days, but didn't get his team point he just reads when he wants and I split up in the log.

Cant say I like it but it's more important that he reads and enjoys it than we force it and he grows to see it as a chore on busy days.

I read all the time, obsessively, it is a disappointment that the children don't enjoy it. I also wonder how good he would be if he was "a reader" - even with his reluctance his reading age is 15 rather than 11.

WetGrass Mon 23-Sep-13 11:38:52

I just randomly sign them (my handwriting is bad enough that I could be writing anything - ha ha).

ClockWatchingLady Mon 23-Sep-13 11:42:00

MrsRajeshKoothrappali (by the way, can I borrow your husband from time to time? grin) what goes on at home is none of the school's business anyway. I also agree with this and feel a bit arsey about school's intrusions. But I feel a bit bad about it too, because the teachers all seem to mean very well (and to some extent it's part of their job to check all's well at home).

steppemum Mon 23-Sep-13 11:47:10

ds is year 6 for the last 2 years, since he took to reading for pleasure, he has filled in his log.
I know he reads 2-3 proper books per week, he orders in and reads books from the local library. (eg he read Harry Potter, all 6(?) books in about 2 weeks)
He writes down all that he reads, split over 7 days.
There is a small prize for every time you read 30 times and one of his teacher kept them in to read at playtime if they hadn't read at home (!)

In year 4 he filled it in and I signed each day.

Now in year 6 he fills it signs it and I sign at the bottom of each page.

we gave up writing in page numbers/chapters ages ago. He just writes the name of the book on 4/5/6 consecutive nights, and then name of next book etc.

steppemum Mon 23-Sep-13 11:49:28

I wouldn't bother at all (the point is to get them to read and he does, so I can't see the need) except that ds likes to get the prizes and he didn't want to be kept in at playtime.

SatinSandals Mon 23-Sep-13 11:51:41

I can't see a problem, just get her to write in it and sign it.

NoComet Mon 23-Sep-13 12:42:34

I don't think we had reading logs after y4, if we did they got lost in the first week or two of year 5.

This was a blessed relief after 5 years of writing ..

DD2 read beautifully and with expression
And
DD1 still hasn't a fucking clue what's she's doing!

(Ok neither me, the TA, the helpers or the teacher actually wrote that, but it's what our platitudes meant).

DD1 is dyslexic, as absolutely obviously, copy book, tick everything on the check list dyslexic as you are ever likely to meet. It still took until March of Y6 for school to acknowledge this. Despite them and me religiously hearing her read and writing accurate no/not much progress comments in her sodding reading record.

They are a total waste of time and paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now