8 week kitten free to a home, must be gone by tomorrow

(32 Posts)
Altinkum Sun 22-Sep-13 21:31:36

AIBU to say contact the local RSPCA, or the local cat rescue centre.

AIBU to think what happens to the kitten if. I one collects it tomorrow??

This was posted on my local selling/swap/free to pick up page...

annoyednow Sun 22-Sep-13 21:35:50

Poor thing. Hope it has luck on it's side and finds a safe landing.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sun 22-Sep-13 21:47:03

Hate this sort of thing. Hate people who treat a living thing the same way they'd treat a mobile phone. You know like "I'm sick of this phone/kitten time to get rid and get me a new one". I know someone like this. Her attitude towards the pets she's had is so apalling we are no longer friends angry

maybe3x Sun 22-Sep-13 21:52:01

Such a shame, I saw marmoset monkeys advertised on our local Facebook selling page this week angry shock

sooperdooper Sun 22-Sep-13 22:07:32

So sad sad I'd be tempted to go and collect it myself, even if I only took it to the local RSPCA, why can't people just do that??

YoureBeingADick Sun 22-Sep-13 22:10:25

angry

festered Sun 22-Sep-13 22:22:14

sad I always have to say something when I see adverts like this. Horrid people-animals aren't objects there for our convenience sad

Rachel778 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:38:38

I hate when people advertise animals to free homes . . So many come to a rotten end . .. Bloody horrible people.

Rachel778 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:38:55

for

sadangry I see these sorts of ads on fb sell/swap sites nearly daily, just shocking how people show such little disregard for their pets !
This week a bearded dragon, 3 dogs & 2 cats all with simular title to the opsad "Must be gone by..." Like the pet is a throwaway objectangry

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-13 22:41:59

Where was it? Poor little thing. sad

SummerRain Sun 22-Sep-13 22:44:49

poor wee thing sad

i have to say i'd probably go get it too and rehome it safely myself

gordyslovesheep Sun 22-Sep-13 22:47:06

poor kitten sad

Remotecontrolduck Sun 22-Sep-13 22:47:44

Oh god please contact someone like a rescue centre if you can. 8 weeks is so young. It genuinely upsets me to see things like this, and how disposable some people treat their animals sad

Altinkum Sun 22-Sep-13 22:49:22

Well I left a message saying t contact the local shelter or RSPCA, I'd get it myself it ds and I are allergic to animal hair (both acute asthmatic)

Darkesteyes Mon 23-Sep-13 01:32:50

Oh poor little thing sad sad I hate people who treat beautiful animals like this. angry I hope the little one finds a good home.

PumpkinPie2013 Mon 23-Sep-13 07:01:32

Poor kitten sad angry if people cannot/don't want to properly care for pets they shouldn't buy them! Makes my blood boil angry

Hopefully they see your msg OP and act on it x

SIL has an unwanted kitten atm - the rest of the litter have already gone. She is finding it a good home in some desperation, but she hasn't set a date by which she'll kick it out.

Maybe the person who posted that message is in a similar state but also about to move house or go on holiday or something so more pressed for time.

Poor baby kitten.

livinginwonderland Mon 23-Sep-13 07:37:01

I got my kittens free from someone who's cat got pregnant when the builders let it out by accident (despite her strict instructions to make sure the cat stayed indoors!)

I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong with giving kittens away for free so long as you know they're going to a good home. But specifying a date is really harsh - they are still SO tiny at eight weeks. We got ours at 6 weeks old and they were so, so small.

catsmother Mon 23-Sep-13 07:42:07

My blood runs cold at ads like these - they're an open invite to the low lives who train dogs to fight etc. Fucking Gumtree is the worst - and it consistently breaks its own rules in accepting ads for animals too young to leave their mothers, or animals being offered for stud purposes.

If you really can't physically collect it yourself, please contact a local animal shelter to see if they can instead. Or ask a friend to do so and then pass it onto a shelter. I know all shelters are under huge pressure ATM but I doubt they'd completely wash their hands of this. IME they usually have no problem in rehoming kittens - it's the older cats which are more difficult - but difference is most will vet prospective owners and homes, plus they ask for a rehoming fee which deters time wasters or worse.

If you say - roughly - where you are, we might be able to recommend a shelter nearby.

ubik Mon 23-Sep-13 07:44:30

I think there's something very wrong with not getti g your cat neutered.

There's no excuse.

catsmother Mon 23-Sep-13 07:44:43

Also, many shelters these days don't let kittens go until they've been neutered - they tend to operate younger now than a few years ago. Which is another good reason to get it into a shelter if possible. "Free to a good home" with no checks increases the likelihood that someone gets the kitten on a whim and doesn't think about stuff like innoculations and neutering.

catsmother Mon 23-Sep-13 07:45:16

x-posted with Ubik.

wonderingsoul Mon 23-Sep-13 07:48:37

8 weeks is to early to leave the mum.. isnt it 12 weeks when they can go safely?

Mogz Mon 23-Sep-13 08:29:54

8 weeks is the absolute minimum a kitten should be separated from mum, they do much better if left with her until 10 or 12 weeks. But the longer the owner leaves it the bigger they get and therefore less cute and sellable hmm
Where abouts are they OP? My DH has the afternoon off work so we'd be happy to collect, lecture the idiot and take to a shelter.
It wouldn't be in the shelter for long, kittens never are, but at least it will get its jabs and flea/worming treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now