to thinj working 3 days a week doesn,t mean you work part time x

(115 Posts)
maddymoo25 Sun 22-Sep-13 19:14:07

Would you class working mon to Wednesday so 3 days but 13 hr shifts is working pt or ft ? X

JedwardScissorhands Mon 23-Sep-13 10:38:41

I work 30 hours and think that is part time.

Somerset8 Mon 23-Sep-13 10:32:24

Full time.

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 23-Sep-13 10:08:27

Opt outs from the WTD are fairly standard in the City - they form part of the employment contract (particularly for lawyers/finance workers). Sadly working 3 days per week would be considered part time in many professional firms (including mine), regardless how many hours you work per day - it's expected that you'll work significantly more than the standard 9-5. Doesn't make it right though!

sarahtigh Mon 23-Sep-13 09:54:48

NHS FT is 37.5 hours

someone working 7-7 will get breaks so it is not 12 hours as no breaks is also illegal

however any job over 30 hours per week is generally considered FT as someone else said more than 48 hours is illegal, I do not think opt outs are that common though I think like for farm workers at harvest is can be 48 hours average over a period

PT for a working credit claim is over 16 hours and under 30
on JSA looking for FT job means upto 40 hours contracted the rest is overtime upto 8 hours can be compulsory

BoozyBear Mon 23-Sep-13 07:58:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Firsttimemummy33 Mon 23-Sep-13 07:52:44

Nhs full time hours are. 37.5.

LovesBeingOnHoliday Mon 23-Sep-13 06:17:27

Ft compressed hours

NameChangedForAChange Mon 23-Sep-13 05:53:02

As many people have said, if you say you work three days then that is perceived to be part time. If you say 39 hours then it will usually be perceived to be full time. It's up to you how you describe it.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Mon 23-Sep-13 04:53:37

How can it be pt?

In the NHS 37.5 hours is full time. Just because we work 12 hour shifts doesn't mean we're part time. Not everyone has a 9-5 job.

Morloth Mon 23-Sep-13 04:42:53

DH and I both do 12 hour days. I do 3 (so 36) and he does 5 (so 60).

It is all good, we reap the benefits in pay, DH is a workaholic who is going to work like that in any case so he might as well get paid for it.

We tag team the kids a lot and are fiercely protective of our weekends being for our family.

VestaCurry Mon 23-Sep-13 01:20:55

I know a lot of people who do compressed FT hours, either into 3 or 4 days.

BackforGood Mon 23-Sep-13 00:45:21

It depends on your job though.
When I was FT, I worked around 60 hrs a week,(as did/do most of my colleagues) so when I went to 0.6 of a week, I was working around 36 hrs a week, but only being paid 0.6 of a FT salary.

It did confuse people when I had to fill in documents and they asked if you worked FT or PT, then asked your hours though grin

As others have said though - if YOu only leave for work 3 days a week, then people generally 'perceive' that as being Part Time - you would have to specifically explain that you have compressed hours or that you do 3 x 12 hr shifts or whatever, for them to understand that you are actually working as many (if not more) hours as them. You can't expect everybody to automatically know that.

Does it matter what her perception is anyway? You know what you do.

BOF Mon 23-Sep-13 00:17:00

It isn't a matter of opinion though, is it? It's a simple fact that it is full time.

utreas Mon 23-Sep-13 00:15:26

Part time IMO

ceeveebee Sun 22-Sep-13 23:43:48

I live in London, in finance, and know many people that work 50-60 hours a week, including my DH. I used to before I had kids too, now I work 3 x 11 hour days plus expected to be available 24/7 on mobile/email

But 39 hours is FT by any definition

Turniptwirl Sun 22-Sep-13 23:28:00

Full time, compressed week, very common in my office.

I'm full time and work 35 hours.

You may well be classed as part time in some ways for administrative purposes. Like in my office if you don't do 7 hours per day 5 days a week you have holidays calculated in hours (same entitlement as 9-5ers ), whether you do 3 hours a day 5 days a week or 12 hours three days a week

Samnella Sun 22-Sep-13 22:43:40

Ft

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sun 22-Sep-13 22:37:38

I'm having the same issue with hours, op.

I work for the nhs too, and reduced my hours from 37.5 hrs a week to 30. I have read that 30 hours upwards is full time, yet a poster on the employment thread says I work part time. You could try on that thread for answers if you are still confused.

I know I am hmm

Altinkum Sun 22-Sep-13 22:07:11

Depending on you're breaks your only working 36 hours or 35 hours (every 6+ hr shift = a 20 mins break, 30 mins = a 8 hr shift.

You need 11 hours between your finishing times and start times.

Either way, yanbu, it's irrelevant really, you work as you need to, or required too, part time/full time is a load of bollock when their is so few hours between each shift

Shallistopnow Sun 22-Sep-13 21:59:39

What is your job artandco? I'm intrigued!

pooka Sun 22-Sep-13 21:57:47

Full time. I used to work 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday. That was definitely classed as full-time. Because I then worked post first dc for 20 hours - which was part-time.

maddymoo25 Sun 22-Sep-13 21:49:58

We were talking about people where we live vinegsr , not one person here that I know works 50 hours and more .

fuckwittery Sun 22-Sep-13 21:48:57

Think long hours depends on your profession and professions of your friends rather than location. I know a lot of bankers, junior doctors and lawyers!

mamapants When do people who work 50hrs do other stuff? Like eat, see friends, exercise, spend time with family, read ie have a life
I did very little of this stuff when working 50-60 hours a week. I ate virtually all meals as take outs, breakfast on my way to office, lunch at my desk, a little trip out to pret for dinner at my desk around 6pm before starting the evening shift, or sometimes tried to fool myself that I'd be leaving soon, and then end up eating shit from the newsagent on my way home at 11pm.

My exercise was running for the train and speed walking to/from work to the station.

I hardly saw my kids or my husband. Did nothing else. Sometimes read a book on the train, mainly fell asleep though. I am now a SAHM and much poorer but much happier, as my job was not compatible with having a life! (lawyer). I am seriously shock at how my kids ever were clothed or fed or the house ever tidy (had a cleaner once a week, but it was probably only tidy on cleaning day before I got home)

VinegarDrinker Sun 22-Sep-13 21:44:28

Most if not all your junior doctor colleagues will be on 48 hr contracts maddy - the 48 hrs is an average tho so includes weekends, and a mixture of 8-5, long days, nights etc. Some weeks will be less, some more.

MrsKoala Sun 22-Sep-13 21:44:20

Art - Lack of commuting makes a massive difference. If you have 2 hours either side of 9-5 it amounts to the same 'work' day as you really. I used to work in an office where it was commented by my boss that tho i got in at 8am i left at 5pm on the dot (commuting train left at 5.15 and only one an hour), but my colleagues left at 6-6.30. I pointed out that most of them arrived at 10ish and took full, and often longer, lunch hours, so in fact i worked longer hours. But just because they all did those hours, it looked like i did less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now