to thinj working 3 days a week doesn,t mean you work part time x

(115 Posts)
maddymoo25 Sun 22-Sep-13 19:14:07

Would you class working mon to Wednesday so 3 days but 13 hr shifts is working pt or ft ? X

BrianTheMole Sun 22-Sep-13 20:02:53

Its 39 hours. So its full time compressed hours.

FreeWee Sun 22-Sep-13 20:04:54

What Pirate says. Everything in that post is true.

Featherbag Sun 22-Sep-13 20:10:48

Of course it's full time, and the NHS most definitely sees it as as such too! I work the same, counts as 12.5 hour shifts when the half hour unpaid break that often doesn't happen is deducted.

fuckwittery Sun 22-Sep-13 20:10:51

Its full time, but I used to work a lot more hours when I was only meant to do 8 hours a week every day, this turned into 12 hours plus 2.5 hrs of commute 5 x a week. Working compressed hours I do think frees up a lot more time in the rest of the week, you only have to get ready and commute 3 x a week etc.

MrsOakenshield Sun 22-Sep-13 20:11:10

Art - I live in London, always have done, and have worked here for 20 years. Never, contractually, have I done more than a 40-hour week, and that was my first job, so for the last 15 years it's been a 35 hour week, with odd bits of overtime as and when needed (unpaid, mainly). And that's the norm for my industry. Please don't think you speak for everyone who works and lives in London!

VinegarDrinker Sun 22-Sep-13 20:11:17

I do 36 hours per week but class myself as PT because FT in my job is 48 hours.

MrsKoala Sun 22-Sep-13 20:13:33

I work in HR and this is considered FT condensed hours. But it doesn't stop people making snipey comments about colleagues who do it. But then again people make snipey comments about 'jammy' part timers. I often point out they are also on part time wages. It appears some people think unless you do 9-5 mon -fri you don't really have a proper job.

mamapants Sun 22-Sep-13 20:13:47

My full time job is 37 hrs.
When do people who work 50hrs do other stuff? Like eat, see friends, exercise, spend time with family, read ie have a life

Portofino Sun 22-Sep-13 20:15:05

My official hours are 39. I work full time.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Sun 22-Sep-13 20:16:51

Full time - and hopefully there's a full time salary to go with it. If you can condense hours like this, I think it's great and allows much more time to spend with children/do what you like.

MrsDeVere Sun 22-Sep-13 20:17:14

Roaring @' anything under 50 hours is part time'.

Do you wear red braces and eschew lunch art

grin

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Sun 22-Sep-13 20:18:20

I work 36 hours over 4 days. In local govt, a 36 hour week is full-time.

MrsDeVere Sun 22-Sep-13 20:18:44

Are you a nurse OP?

That is a standard full time shift pattern isn't it?

I might be out of date but it was when DD was ill.

AaDB Sun 22-Sep-13 20:20:43

Full time condensed hours.

motherinferior Sun 22-Sep-13 20:21:02

I live in London, know plenty of people in interesting fairly high powered and well paid jobs and most of them don't work 50 hours per week. I worked like that 20 years ago...

miffybun73 Sun 22-Sep-13 20:22:03

Definitely full time as 39 hours.

80sMum Sun 22-Sep-13 20:31:45

When do people who work 50hrs do other stuff? Like eat, see friends, exercise, spend time with family, read ie have a life?

I can answer that one. We don't! Well, I don't anyway. I guess I can't speak for anyone else. Actually that's notqui true, I do manage to find time to eat but that's about it.

What are your contacted hours OP?

MrsKoala Sun 22-Sep-13 20:35:17

Perhaps if you work in London in the city longer hours are expected and in certain professions. Also my DH worked for a US company and they thought he worked 24/7 (Calling him and giving him work on xmas & boxing day and expecting him to work on our holiday - which is why he left). But everyone else i know who works in London at an office based job does 9-5 hours.

When DH went to work in the office the the US (about 1 week a month) they were shock when he stood up at 5pm to leave. He said loudly to his team, 'in the UK it's considered very unprofessional to work longer hours than you have to, it shows you can't manage your time or do your work in the hours expected'. Which of course is bollocks as we have a culture of presenteeism just as much as anywhere else he's worked. But the next week while he was there all his staff left at 5pm, and still got just as much work done smile . Sadly wen he left they reverted as were overseen by a US manager sad

Artandco Sun 22-Sep-13 20:38:57

No I'm not a nurse

''When do people who work 50hrs do other stuff? Like eat, see friends, exercise, spend time with family, read ie have a life? ''

If I'm home at 7.30pm, I would go for a 30 min run, shower and have some down time before eating around 9pm. Friends might join for meal sometime as also on same work times, same as dh. After I would have a few hours free to catch up with dh/ emails/ bake/ watch something before bed. Some Eve's I would go out. At the weekends i am either free all day to do the above or il add a few hours of work in if needed.

expatinscotland Sun 22-Sep-13 20:40:23

Katie Hopkins, is that you?

catgirl1976 Sun 22-Sep-13 20:41:18

39 hours = ft to me

MrsOakenshield Sun 22-Sep-13 20:41:27

MrsKoala - that's very interesting. On Woman's Hour a few weeks ago there was an MD who said that she like having working mothers working for her as she felt they were far more efficient with their time as there was no way, in many cases, they were able to stay late to get things finished - the work had to be done in the time.

I have also read that companies that almost depend on unpaid overtime are in effect treating their employees like a charity - i.e. the employees are donating their (unpaid) salary to the company, which I believe has all kinds of tax implications.

My cousin's husband's company sent him over to the US for a bit, and they were thinking of making the move, but he thought the hours expected were so unconducive (sp?) to any kind of life that he bailed pretty quickly.

BOF Sun 22-Sep-13 20:42:31

And they wonder why the City has a massive coke habit?

MrsKoala Sun 22-Sep-13 20:42:58

So Art after eating at 9pm you have a few hours to do other stuff? Wow. That means you go to bed at about 1am? What time do you get up and have to leave your house to get to work at 7am? How much sleep do you get? Do you have dc? I'd die after about a week of that! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now