Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Aibu to think i have the best mil in the world...

(52 Posts)
londonrach Sun 22-Sep-13 18:56:18

Came back late from holiday last night or this morning if correct. Before going on holiday we moved flats and everything in boxes, were really stressed etc. Walked into new flat at after 2am this morning to find the washing basket empty, washing was washed, ironed and put away, boxes emptied and my favourite bits and pieces out, the fridge full of food as was the fruit bowl, the bed changed, the whole place vacuumed and clean, two new rugs on the floor, new plants, 4 new glasses(with a little letter apologies for buying them and hoped okay) and best of all a bottle of wine in the fridge and my fav but never bought as not paying 5.50 for 6 cakes even if fiona cane made them waiting for us......sent mil about five texts as i explored the flat which i left as a flat and came back to a home.....is there best mil awards.....if so i have a clear winner..

karinmaria Sun 22-Sep-13 20:02:06

How lovely of her! My MIL is wonderful too. She has the spare key to our flat and has never used it without permission - except once. When I was in labour she let herself in, cleaned, put lavender oil beside the bath, decorated with celebratory balloons and filled our cupboards, freezer and fridge with easy food. I lost my own mum during my pregnancy and that thoughtful gesture made me feel very lucky.

mumthetaxidriver Sun 22-Sep-13 20:17:03

Your MIL sounds wonderful! Sadly I don't have one as my husband's mother died at just 54 so before we met. My FIL is however a lovely man who will do absolutely everything he can given he lives over an hours drive away. Loving this very positive thread compared to lots of other MIL ones at the moment - thank you OP smile

Lomaamina Sun 22-Sep-13 20:19:53

Mine is lovely too! Looked after (with dear FIL) our lovely DS so I could go back to work with an easy mind for 3 days a week all the way from babyhood through primary school.

Now we try and pay back in a small way when they need our help, but nothing can repay their generosity (and I know they did it out of love, but it's still a massive undertaking).

I'm taking notes for when one day I'm a MIL. e.g. not interfering when DS was born, other than to very gently offer help when she knew I was struggling (and no DM of my own around). She also did that leaving food in the flat - when we returned from honeymoon - unfortunately mistiming it and the chicken in the fridge had gone off. We never told her.

HavantGuard Sun 22-Sep-13 20:23:03

I would hate that if anyone other than DH had done it.

microserf Sun 22-Sep-13 20:28:23

You have a wonderful mil! I am quite spoilt with my one too you know. I feel quite sad when I see some of the mil problems on aibu, as sometimes it's clear with a slightly different approach, each party could get on very well!

confusedofengland Sun 22-Sep-13 20:42:25

You certainly do have a gem there (although personally I get all itchy about people doing stuff like that for me, far too independent grin

However, I do think my MIL is amazing, too. She & FIL recently travelled 120 miles each way (so 240 in total) to spend one day helping me & DH do up our new house. MIL brought dinner with her, as she does every time they come down - usually a stew she has been making at 5 that morning. She also brings little bags of chopped up carrots, swede, parsnips etc for my freezer so I don't have to spend hours doing this. They will happily babysit both DSes whenever we want.

Plus she is always buying us little treats & even saves her McDonald's free coffee cards for us! Also, when we were really hard up, she used to give us (and to SIL & her DH) half her pension every month, saying she didn't need it as FIL was still earning. We tried refusing a couple of times, then they just went out & bought things for us anyway that we needed. Oh, and she always arrives with a bagful of shopping for us (tins for the cupboard, usually) And she knows how to laugh at herself, which is something I've not quite mastered blush

Whereisegg Sun 22-Sep-13 21:07:31

Oh this is a lovely thread!

I love my dmil too.

She totally welcomed me and my dd from day 1, and now, 10 years later often remarks that we are the same person as we are so alike.

I think my favourite thing about her, is her sense of humour though. Many a time we have both been silently laughing with tears rolling down our faces, while dp sits looking at us with a mixture of amusement and annoyance as he can't believe how immature we both are grin

Elektra83 Sun 22-Sep-13 21:45:08

Ahh this thread made me cry! My MIL died a few weeks ago and she was a fantastic one too. When we moved into our house both MIL and FIL were so helpful. She has been so supportive throughout all of my family issues (my dad has disowned me) and this thread made me realise how much I miss her.

Altinkum Sun 22-Sep-13 21:50:32

Aw my mil is exactly the same.

We moved to our forever home 5 years ago, not only did she pack and clean the "old" house, she also helped unload the new house.
Better still she sent me to Spain with the girls and I came back to a stress free environment.

intangible Sun 22-Sep-13 22:27:31

god damn im jealous. Mine isn't like yours at all

Tuon Sun 22-Sep-13 22:32:33

Loving the lovely MIL stories.

Mine is a Darling, treats her step grandson as her own. Drove me to hospital when my appendix went and had ds for a few days so I could recover.

Cooking her a lunch once I'm back on my feet, there will be wine and flowers for her, lovely woman.

jojane Sun 22-Sep-13 22:34:17

My MIL is great. When she comes to stay y the time I get up around 8am she has fed, washed and dressed the kids, emptied the dishwasher and started to refill it, hung up washing, put more on, hoovered, etc etc.

Dubjackeen Sun 22-Sep-13 22:34:48

Lovely thread! I don't have a MIL, so nothing to add, but it's lovely to read these positive stories. flowers to all the lovely MILs!

AWwwwwww grin Isn't it lovely to hear about nice MiLs for a change grin

londonrach Mon 23-Sep-13 07:41:46

Sorry to hear about your mil elec. Xxxx

Morloth Mon 23-Sep-13 07:50:07

My MIL is also a gem.

She was discussing moving to a retirement village just around the corner the other day and was feeling us out as to if we would be OK given how much closer they would be.

I just about jumped for joy and said we could have coffee and go shopping and garden and blah blah blah.

Both my children are there this week, I love that I can drop them off knowing that they are with people who love them as much as we do.

Captainbarnacles1101 Mon 23-Sep-13 07:50:40

She is indeed a lovely mother in law. I agree that you must both love and appreciate each other. There are plenty if misery guts who would complain about this. grin

LookingThroughTheFog Mon 23-Sep-13 08:05:08

Mine is also awesome. I've waxed lyrical about her over in Relationships already in an epic, epic post. Bottom line; awesome.

Beastofburden Mon 23-Sep-13 08:49:02

What is nice is that these relationships go both ways. You have allowed your MIL into your lives without fighting the "intrusion" and she has responded by knowing where to draw the line. Life is so much better when we allow ourselves to accept affection. Hooray for you lovely DILs.

londonrach Mon 23-Sep-13 13:41:15

Two years ago mil was going through bad time with fil following retirement, moving etc. As a result of that she would turn up announced to see me, sometimes without even seeing her son. I always welcomed her, provided tea and an ear. Luckily everything was sorted and i can honestly say i really enjoy her company. The bad time she went through showed me she was just someone trying her best for her family. She and i have the same interest, her sons happiness. She my fav person to go shopping with and is excellent with her advice, cooking help when asked. I still have no idea how the dirt on an oven magically disappears when she looks at it whilst i can scrub for hours and its still there. My life is so much better having her in my life. Seems im not the only one who appreciates the gems we have in our life.

londonrach Thu 26-Sep-13 20:17:15

Seriously is there somewhere i could nominate my mil for this year.

StitchingMoss Thu 26-Sep-13 20:22:58

This is a really lovely thread smile.

My MIL is sadly a complete cow but as a mum to two utterly gorgeous boys its reassuring to know that positive MIL/DIL relationships do exist!

sadly my MIL died in april of this year and had been ill for a very very long time, and was losing it when i got together with dp, so i didnt get to know her very well.
i did manage to give her a granddaughter though and she always had a smile for us, i will miss her forever. my FIL is bloody brilliant!!

mumofweeboys Thu 26-Sep-13 23:29:03

Glad u appreciated what she did, she must know u well. I love my mil but sould have been annoyed if she unpacked my boxs but im a control freak

WahIzzit Thu 26-Sep-13 23:40:07

Yabu

Only because I have the best mother inlaw in the world grin
For the 9 months of pregnancy I had terrible sickness for most of that time, so ate at hers nearly every day. (Dh cant cook). Then after dc1 was born, she cooked for us for 6 months. Yep 6 whole months!! She would have continued but we put a stop to it as realised we had taken the piss for long enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now