To sell most of my vintage and antique Christmas decorations?

(40 Posts)
ICameOnTheJitney Sun 22-Sep-13 16:55:11

I wonder...we need money badly and over the years I have collected lots and lots of vintage and antique christmas decs. Some of them are so fragile that I can't use them because the children will poke them...they're like paper...others are very fragile due to being made of paper and fabric.

Will I regret it? I won't sell the DCs favourites of course...but the ones they love are the ones they've chosen...mostly quite tacky but gorgeous things.

I can probably raise about 300 pounds on Ebay with the things...we need it...shall I or shan't I? Feelling torn!

beaglesaresweet Mon 23-Sep-13 01:16:47

..or if you are determined to sell, pm me too about the older ones grin

VestaCurry Mon 23-Sep-13 01:31:48

Oooooooh, wish I could take all of them but would definitely be interested in some. Me and dh have bought Christmas decorations for each other as a long standing tradition and we have some v unusual ones. Our tree is always a talking point to visitors anyway grin! Pm me too if you have some left after earlier posters have swooped in smile.

VestaCurry Mon 23-Sep-13 01:34:49

And agree, do keep the very best. A number of years ago now I sold a collection of books, with some first editions within it (some signed too). At that point I really needed the money but if I had just held onto 2 or 3 of the collection it would have been extremely wise.

StupidFlanders Mon 23-Sep-13 02:11:45

Well the bitch in me says please pm me as I collect vintage decorations, if there's any chance you'll pull through without selling them I wouldn't, there's something so beautiful about christmas memories that I would personally kick myself if I did that and as your dcs get older they will live looking through them!
But seriously: pm me if you sell!!!!

ICameOnTheJitney Mon 23-Sep-13 07:26:05

Thank you all for the advice and interest! I got them all out last night, laid them out...and can't bear to let the buggers go. sad I just can't....I know they're only things but as someone said, they'll increase in value...and I love them. They're full of memories...not only mine either!

When I bought them they were old but now ten years later they're even older and I used to think that I was carrying on what the previous owners had done in caring for them so well...given that they're so fragile.

I also don't want to risk them not fetching what I think they're worth and once the money's gone it's gone! As we're moving I think that the familiar things should come to help with the change.

ancientbuchanan Mon 23-Sep-13 08:05:39

I think you are quite right. You would regret it.

trixymalixy Mon 23-Sep-13 09:02:43

Oh they sound lovely! Don't sell them unless it's to me!!

Wossname Mon 23-Sep-13 09:42:06

Think keeping them is definitely the right thing to do, what a lovely thing to collect- any chance of any pics? <nosey>

VestaCurry Mon 23-Sep-13 10:37:48

Glad you've decided to keep them smile

beaglesaresweet Mon 23-Sep-13 11:01:54

right decision, OP, especially as you already have memories attached to them!
Maybe sell something else (equipment of any kind!), or borrow for the move?

StupidFlanders Mon 23-Sep-13 12:39:21

I think you've made the right decision- good luck with your move!

WaitMonkey Mon 23-Sep-13 13:14:11

Glad you have decided to keep them, they sound wonderful. Would love it if you could put a picture on your profile. Would love to see them.

Vintageclock Mon 23-Sep-13 13:33:32

I'm glad you're keeping them. It sounds like a beautiful collection to have.

ShowOfHands Mon 23-Sep-13 13:41:53

I collect antique and vintage Christmas decorations and books and even in our most cash-strapped moments, I've never sold them.

They're quite special.

ICameOnTheJitney Mon 23-Sep-13 14:09:14

No and I knew the moment I began unwrapping them that it was impossible! I want to pass them on! When my DDS are my age, these things will no doubt be very rare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now