To think people don't seem to recognise the difference between evening wear and wedding clothes any more ?

(247 Posts)
BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:24:47

(Disclaimer yes it doesn't matter compared to Syria , I do get out a lot, yes the bride and groom were lovely , etc etc)

Day wedding yesterday. Just too much tit. Too much bare top halves. Shiny cocktail dresses in a country church.

Just too much.

fluffyraggies Sun 22-Sep-13 09:06:39

Funerals is my personal bug bear! Purleeease have some respect! It's only for one morning. Put something black on and turn your phone off.

Oh and just wearing a black version of what you would wear out clubbing isn't quite right either!

ClaraOswald Sun 22-Sep-13 09:06:50

I say young woman- she was probably around my own age. I'm only 34.

StainlessSteelBegonia Sun 22-Sep-13 09:09:51

Don't most people wear coats/jackets in church anyway? In my yoof, I always wore a coat over my invariably short & sleeveless dresses during wedding ceremonies.

These days I dress very sensibly with skirts to the knee and nice cap sleeves, but then my body is much more sensible than it used to be, too. (Sigh.)

I have a wedding Wednesday and finding a dress for an afternoon til night after do hard!

Its 3.30pm til midnight so have to find something suitable for daytime as well as night time.

One tattoo will be on show though. I can only hide one grin

MairzyDoats Sun 22-Sep-13 09:11:46

I would LOVE to go to a wedding where (like in the good ol days) there was a gap between the wedding breakfast and the evening 'do' to give everyone a break/time to freshen up/change into evening attire. Why has that stopped happening?

It is hard sometimes to find something appropriate to wear in the daytime that will translate to evening. Naturally I carry it off brilliantly myself, blush but not everyone has one's sartorial gift.

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 09:12:23

a dress that might be sleevelss
or trousers and a jacket with a top under it suitable for the evening

its not hard

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 22-Sep-13 09:14:46

YANBU. I'm old fashioned particular about what I wear to weddings. Last year DH's cousin got married in a Catholic Church. I was always told you don't wear bare shoulders to a church wedding. One guest turned up in six inch heels & a chiffon halter neck dress with hundreds of huge plastic rhinestones & a puffball skirt that finished just below her ovaries.

fluffyraggies Sun 22-Sep-13 09:16:09

SPs - i feel your pain. We are governed by our budgets and what's actually in the shops!

I had to do a day to evening recently. SO many nice dresses (and i'm talking just simple slip dresses which are good for day to evening) are ruined by being mid thigh length or this weird lower at the back than the front thing.

I bought a ruched floral stretchy dress from Coast in the end. Nice length. Cost more than it should though. Change of shoes and make up and ditching the cardi for the evening.

noddyholder Sun 22-Sep-13 09:16:09

Skinny trouser suit silky top beret combo has been my uniform for this. Add big earrings for evening Done

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 09:16:12

thats a perfect example of the genre. well done.

also chiffon maxi dresses - as if from a night out in Ibiza.

We are going to town after wards so need it to suit that too. I'm not a trouser and jacket person.

I am after a lovely dress as my mum is paying for it as its my birthday the day before.

I spent 5 hours searching yesterday! I was also with a toddler, that was torture.

Ahh, thats one thing I don't do - attempt to hide my tattoos. Not that they are "on show", displayed prominently as centre of outfit grin but they are there.
Guess I'd better leave the thread, am a disgrace wink

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 09:18:21

beret?!!

Went to a wedding once where some of the male guests wore tracksuits shock

noddyholder Sun 22-Sep-13 09:20:03

Yes can't do those twiggy head dresses like butterflies on your hair. Love a beret with a skinny suit take it off pm obvs

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 09:20:10

LOL
tracksuits
brilliant

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 22-Sep-13 09:20:49

Oh betsy there were several of those as well. Another well endowed guest with most of her breasts on show as well.

There was another guest who only came to the church who was wearing jogging bottoms, but I was so speechless at that I'm still not sure I've quite processed it.

Never did I think I'd feel overdressed at a wedding, but I did!

Trazzletoes Sun 22-Sep-13 09:22:57

Phew!

And you're right, it will be a cold day in hell before my thighs see the light of day <shudder>

BellaOfTheBalls Sun 22-Sep-13 09:23:28

Quite murder. It's usually safe to assume that unless you rock up to a wedding wearing your own wedding dress you're laughing.

sp 50s type dress or wrap dress?

Preciousbane Sun 22-Sep-13 09:24:07

I agree and for your delight op I will describe the worst outfit I have seen at a wedding.

DH cousins wedding in a really pretty church.

Her friend turns up in a skin tight floor length Lycra dress with obviously no underwear on at all, plenty of nipple due to nippy day.The dress is blue with a New York City skyline at night printed along the bottom with skyscrapers reaching up to her knee. There is a slit in this floor sweeping number that reaches about half way up her thigh in between her legs. It is a backless halter neck with a keyhole cut away so her cleavage is saying hello to everyone.

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 09:24:30

that finished just below her ovaries grin

Badvoc Sun 22-Sep-13 09:27:19

I think the rules for weddings are pretty simple tbh:
Nothing above the knee.
Nothing white.
Dont wear heels you cannot walk in.
Don't have a bag so small all you can fit in it are your lipstick and mirror.
Don't wear something you aren't comfortable in. You will be in it for at least 12 hours so make sure you can sit, bend over and walk comfortably in it.
Easy really.
Funerals can be difficult. Lots of people now state no black to be worn. I always wear black to funerals often teamed with another colour like dark blue or grey.

I'm trying to find a plain skater dress but all dresses seem to have random cut outs!

I dont want my love handles on show.

Just seem to be finding half price prom dresses. I dont think I would suit a wrap dress. I just want to look and feel nice. Not often I get the chance grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now