To think people don't seem to recognise the difference between evening wear and wedding clothes any more ?

(247 Posts)
BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:24:47

(Disclaimer yes it doesn't matter compared to Syria , I do get out a lot, yes the bride and groom were lovely , etc etc)

Day wedding yesterday. Just too much tit. Too much bare top halves. Shiny cocktail dresses in a country church.

Just too much.

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:46:45

Everyone there needed a blunt friend ™

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:47:15

Re funerals SO. No cheap black t shirt material.

raisah Sun 22-Sep-13 08:48:14

P.S. i had a sari on & got lots of nice comments from people. I didn't tell anyone I was held together by safety pins out of fear of it all unravelling & falling in a heap bymy feet!

IsabelleRinging Sun 22-Sep-13 08:48:18

Back in the day, people used to get changed for the evening do!

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 08:49:45

You realise we all sound like our mothers and someone is about to come and tell us off for our lack of solidarity with women. (Women should be able to wear what they like and be proud of their bodies sort of thing)

I was pondering this issue the other day and decided fashion for women allowed us to expose parts of the body which are not perfect... Whilst being imperfect is both normal and fine, dressing to show it off isn't so great. Men just wouldn't do it. I hate the fact that women are made laughing stocks by fashion.

Ordering comments like ours to be suppressed wouldn't stop lots of people thinking them anyway.

Badvoc Sun 22-Sep-13 08:51:25

I went to a wedding last week.
Most of the female guests were bright orange and looked like a strippers.
Most odd.

MotherofBear Sun 22-Sep-13 08:51:48

Trazzle knee length skirts are fine for any size or shape of leg, imo. It's when those of us with massively slightly chunkier legs wear skirts that only reach to mid-thigh, or shorter, that it looks less than attractive.
Wear your knee-length skirt with pride!

BikeRunSki Sun 22-Sep-13 08:52:46

Ah MumOfMonster, dh' s family still talk in hushed tones about that dress that one of dh' s cousins wore to GM' s funeral. It was actually a really nice black wool pinafore style shift dress, but stopped mid thigh and wad v short on her.

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:54:15

I agree that there's a point where we say "I'm not apologising for my body" but there's a dress to suit everyone. And they aren't always worn .

DrCoconut Sun 22-Sep-13 08:54:41

I was at a Christening where half the guests looked like they were going clubbing. I bet the minister didn't know where to look.

ZillionChocolate Sun 22-Sep-13 08:55:52

I don't think black is appropriate for a wedding.

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 08:56:01

Perfectly put Betsy!

My personal fave at a recent wedding was a young lady ahem in a skin tight, off the shoulder, white dress. Although the lady with the backless dress that was so tight she looked like she had boobs on her back was a close second.
But again, the worst part was that neither of them were comfortable, and spent the whole day fiddling with their clothes

Me (the largest bridesmaid ever at 9m pregnant) and my youngest sister begged for saris at my middle sisters wedding grin

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 08:56:51

Ok slightly stunned.

An AIBU thread being a reasonable discussion.
Ill chuck in a "Leave the bastard /you nazi" for old times

fluffyraggies Sun 22-Sep-13 08:58:05

Hmmm ... this has made me think!

When i look around at any 'do' these days i find myself musing on how many women are in clothes which could be said to be unsuitable for the occasion or unsuitable for their shape.

However i get intensely irritated at mothers attitude that nothing should ever be tight or skimpy. Everything should be tailored or altered so that there's no hint of flesh beneath the fabric. Everything should 'skim the body'. Yawn. She also has a bad habit of loudly pointing out and criticizing larger women. Especially in summer when they are wearing bright clothes or have flesh on show - looking confident and good IMO. All this ''ooh look at 'er'' crap angry

She herself is about 2 stone overweight! But that doesn't get mentioned, although to be fair she is always in large elasticated sack like clothing, and gave up with fashion about 40 years ago.

I am determined to not turn into my mother so i'm determined not to get judgy about other peoples choices of clothes!

Sorry for that ramble.

Dont mention funerals, I had a thread about a woman in red stilettos at a funeral and got torn to pieces! grin

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 08:58:50

Is it a maturity thing? I suspect I took a few years of experimenting with what I thought, fashion thought, I should be wearing before deciding sod that and wearing what suited me?

Currently fashion is dictated by WAGs it seems (the orange Amsterdam red light district look sums it up)

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 22-Sep-13 09:02:24

I think anything in church requires respectful dress - so no bare shoulders etc. What's that line from 4 weddings about 'nothing worse than the vicar with a hard-on' wink

I will admit though, I now look at my wedding pictures and think "beyond, why are your boobs hanging out!"

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 09:03:03

Nothing wrong with being overweight or wearing sexy fitted clothing. Being any size and wearing badly fitted clothing is the issue.

Mid thigh or belt length mini skirts are also a bit of an extreme version of flesh on show along with 'only just covering the nipple' low cut tops

BetsyBidwell Sun 22-Sep-13 09:03:46

Woman in one shoulder Betty Rubble kind of dress. Stretch black mini.

TiredDog Sun 22-Sep-13 09:04:02

Betty ...also stunned at how the thread is going. I'm waiting for the eruption...

ClaraOswald Sun 22-Sep-13 09:04:53

I will admit, at my own wedding most of the guests were older so nothing inappropriate. One younger guest wore a full length ballgown, but it suited her fabulously.

At my sisters wedding, the grooms youngest sister wore a black ill fitting trouser suit with white edging to the collar. His other sister looked delightful in a 1950's style full skirt and cardigan.

At a friends wedding three years ago I couldn't take my eyes off one young woman- she wore a dress that resembled a silver corselette with her breasts almost falling out and you could see the crotch of her knickers when she bent in half to pick up her handbag. She was bright orange in colour and abandoned her heels early on in the evening as she couldn't stand upright on them. She can't have enjoyed herself- you could see she was massively uncomfortable.

I agree though- fashion has a lot to answer for in it's sheer mockery of women.

CooEeeEldridge Sun 22-Sep-13 09:06:11

YANBU! Same goes for races.

noddyholder Sun 22-Sep-13 09:06:20

I have the outfit down pat just hate weddings though so avoid. But agree too much flesh for weddings now it's like disco wear ok as long as you have a jacket

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now