To really think that I only want one child?

(56 Posts)
teacher123 Fri 20-Sep-13 20:08:59

I love DS (17mo) More than words and he is adorable in every way. He was much wanted and longed for and I can honestly say he is the best thing that's ever happened to me. However I also feel a strong sense of horror at the thought of ever having another baby. I just don't want to do it again, I have had anxiety and PND diagnosed but I don't think it's that, I just don't want to. However EVERYONE keeps asking me when we're going to have another one and I feel like a freak. Loads of people say that the only reason they stopped at 2 is because of money/practicalities. I just feel really strongly like I don't want one. Has anyone else felt like this?

Silverdaisy Fri 20-Sep-13 22:21:26

EST, that is so similar to what I was wanting to say. My parent passed away recently and now my other parent is very unwell, I am in my early 30's and am thinking a sibling would have been of help!

Nobody knows what is ahead of them though, and i have been a very happy person with good friends.

I also believe if your circumstances only fits one child then that is your answer.

ChrisTheSheep Fri 20-Sep-13 22:34:33

I know how you feel, OP: I had a similar situation with DS1 (PDN, anxiety, intrusive thoughts of suicide - not good). When friends were having their second babies, I remember having those feelings: terror and horror at the thought of voluntarily putting yourself through that again.

The difference in my situation was that I knew I wanted to have two, in the end. I'm now pregnant with DC2, but to be honest it isn't easy. I spend a lot of time feeling sick at the thought of the next two years, and, really, the only way I convinced myself to do in the first place it was to think of prospective DC at 2.5 years old, and how it would all be better by that point. I have been having some bad times, though, and I honestly wouldn't have considered doing this without actually wanting to. Don't let other people push you into a decision like this: they aren't the ones who are going to have to live with it!

FWIW, I'm an only, and I never, ever resented my parents for not "giving" me a sibling. Barring the perinatal MH issues, I'm really pretty normal, too smile

PosyNarker Fri 20-Sep-13 22:35:54

I hate the stereotype of 'lonely only'. I am very self-sufficient and not overly social admittedly, but very close to my parents, but I don't miss having a sibling even though I know my parents planned more than one, it just didn't happen. DP is also an only and he is very social, more detached from parents (still close but once a week call, not multiple) but also very self sufficient. He doesn't miss non-existent siblings either.

The only possible reasons I could think of having a sibling for myself are selfish & to having seen the dynamic between my parents and their siblings, there's no guarantee that siblings will be close, even if close in age.

MyBaby1day Sun 22-Sep-13 02:38:37

YADNBU, it's entirely your choice OP, I am an only and my Mum also had this and used to say "I got perfection the 1st time"!! grin. I really loved being an only child and also plan to adopt just on child. One is the ideal number for me too, one DS-like you! smile

MyBaby1day Sun 22-Sep-13 02:51:56

one

missingmumxox Sun 22-Sep-13 04:17:27

You are not wrong, I had My one and only, which where twins, I would have loved another but I couldn't risk more twins, Mine are 1 of 3 sets in my family at the moment.

you may change you mind in the future but hay ho, you are allowed too, singletons are great, trust me they are..as a mum of twins I find the only Mums who want to do play dates with my twins (god I hate that expression) are the mums with one child, I think because they don't have other children to entertain, other than their one, and I am happy to reciprocate as I only have one to entertain on top of my 2.

I don't know many singletons in adult life? but I have a brother and when my Dad was ill and needed care my Brother was in the Army and so it all fell to me, so having a sibling does not stop that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now