To think Godfrey Bloom was put on Earth to remind women that we still need feminism?

(79 Posts)
BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 18:07:27
KarenRChenard Mon 23-Sep-13 01:36:19

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tavv Sun 22-Sep-13 10:52:06

If UKIP don't want bizarre reports written about them, they could always stop having bizarre opinions and doing bizarre things.

fancyanother Sun 22-Sep-13 09:33:26

But didn't the woman confront him because of a previous comment of his that women shouldn't have a political opinion until they had cleaned behind the fridge? That, in my opinion should have been a sacking offence far, far earlier. The fact that it wasn't says more about UKIP than this! ( but then again, I haven't cleaned behind the fridge...)

ExcuseTypos Sun 22-Sep-13 09:23:54

Timid, what with him calling a group of women sluts, then hitting a reporter on the head, the reporting was bound to be a bizarre.
Things like that don't happen everyday in the political world.

I also think his age isn't an excuse. Would it have been ok for him to use the P or N word because 'old people did in the past'?

BasilBabyEater Sun 22-Sep-13 07:58:59

I think it's a bit ageist to assume old people are bigots tbh. wink

timidviper Sat 21-Sep-13 23:13:41

I think this man made a very ill-judged poor joke and while I really don't like UKIP, I am becoming concerned at the biased way the media are covering them. The news tonight was comparing their conference to a Carry On convention and asking members of the public very leading questions then broadcasting their answers as if that were fact. If I need an opinion I'd prefer it to be from an "expert" rather than an average joe who may well know nothing.

I would like the media to give me the true facts and let me make up my own mind about which parties are disgusting. I am appalled at the standard of coverage on UKIP despite my dislike of all they stand for.

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:08:27

From his blog:

"Godfrey is well known for his forthright views in support of business women. His popularity with them is in an inverse ratio to that of the women’s political class who represent no one but themselves.

He is totally against the idea of Gender Quotas, he believes they are patronising to women and believes that women can get to the very top of businesses, as shown by The Body Shop and WH Smith, on merit and where trust and faith is shown towards them by their colleagues. He points to his own party, UKIP, where the party have achieved three very successful by-election results, all with female candidates.

Godfrey sits on the 'Gender Rights and Equalities Committee' (FFEM) within the European Parliament. "

www.godfreybloommep.com/#/womens-rights/4578057728

He reminds me of someone else who "says it like it is" on This Morning. I wonder what his views on child names and birthday parties are?

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:02:12

Dear god.. there is no hope is there?

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 23:01:08

Gender rights and equalities committee sad

Tavv Sat 21-Sep-13 23:00:34

> he sits on the gender equality committee in the European Parliament.

shock

Oh god kim tell me you're kidding? He doesn't does he??

Ffs! Why is it a womens fucking responsibilty to clean behind the fucking fridge.
The fact of the matter is, that it isn't.
We did have a feminist movement, didn't we? It wasn't just a figment of my imagination?
I see nothing funny in women being referred to by derogatory terms, no matter what the context.

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 22:51:30

"There must be some slack cut to an older generation who perhaps dont have all the political correct phrases and opinions that the young generation have,"

It's kind of ironic he sits on the gender equality committee in the European Parliament.

namechangesforthehardstuff Sat 21-Sep-13 22:37:59

He said women who don't clean behind the fridge are sluts and that's therefore OK? And not sexist? Because he just meant they should be doing the housework properly?

Ummmnmm.

Did someone change the way the English language works while I wasn't looking or something?

They've clearly changed the meaning of 'funny'.

Mooskit Sat 21-Sep-13 22:28:00

Lighten up folks... It was a lighthearted, off the cuff remark, and a woman who was a poor housekeeper, used to be called a slut. It meant a slattern not a 'loose woman' as it seems to mean today. I am amazed at how unforgiving some people seem to be today. There must be some slack cut to an older generation who perhaps dont have all the political correct phrases and opinions that the young generation have,

ohmymimi Sat 21-Sep-13 12:24:06

He's what I would call a useful nob. Thoroughly peed off good old Nige and dropped a big, fat smelly one on the Kippers' conference. Score.

DalePie Sat 21-Sep-13 10:53:21

Well apparently your all sl&ts Lmao!

UKIP are basically another right wing party. They come along, "tell it like it is" and typically one UK newspaper (DM or Express) falls in love with them. If they are lucky they win a seat at the GM or EU elections and the media starts to focus on them.

This focus of course, is when the media discovers all sorts of nasties: racism, holocaust denial, sexism, homophobia and belief in Christian science over research.

I guess this recent outburst is an example of the media discovering Godfrey Bloom is sexist. I will be very surprised if UKIP are anything but a bit of a joke come the next GE.

Pagwatch Sat 21-Sep-13 10:48:10

I can't get worked up about slut in a cleaning context. Mu mum used to make jokes -''gosh, it's nine o'clock and I still haven't cleared the table - a terrible slut I am'
They were talking about cleaning [meh]

But he is quite odious so I am not upset about his demise.

babybarrister Sat 21-Sep-13 10:35:15

Surely the context is important though - he said it in front of a room full of intelligent powerful women NOT behind their backs to a room of old men.... Of course the bongo bongo land comment was NEVER said in front of a room of African people - for me that is a crucial difference.

Yes I thought it was funny and frankly that he knew it was ridiculous when he said it - that it a part of comedy isn't it?

I am a feminist - I am also an independent person who does not need to be told I should be offended or I cannot find something funny - it was funny

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:31:25

I think slut is gender specific when it comes to someone whose housework is left undone.

kim147 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:30:43

As a UKIP guy said today, he needs to remember he's not Sid James.

But I think a lot of UKIP followers have some admiration for him. Which says a lot about UKIP.

Saffyz Sat 21-Sep-13 09:28:49

> slut can mean someone whose housework leaves a bit to be desired

I don't suppose he'd have made the same comment if men in the room said they didn't clean behind the fridge.

joanofarchitrave Sat 21-Sep-13 01:33:15

It was a funny joke. He shouldn't have been chopped for it.

He should have been chopped for 'bongo-bongo land' months ago. That wasn't a joke.

Try the foaming tsunami of bile that Nige actually produced for his keynote speech as leader of the party. Which gets, God help us, serious reporting as the profile of an actual party or something.

MmmmWhiteWine Sat 21-Sep-13 01:21:23

I agree he's probably an arse but you slut can mean someone whose housework leaves a bit to be desired. Which, given the context, is probably what he meant...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now