To think Godfrey Bloom was put on Earth to remind women that we still need feminism?

(79 Posts)
BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 18:07:27
Stravy Fri 20-Sep-13 20:32:08

DameFanny because they have 12% in the polls

DameFanny Fri 20-Sep-13 20:33:39

The greens have an actual MP Stravy - don't see them on every other Question Time

Saffyz Fri 20-Sep-13 20:35:55

Sometimes women on here joke that they are "slatterns" if they haven't kept up Stepford-Wife immaculateness in their home that day. Fine if they're saying it about themselves and it's clearly ridiculous. Not fine having a man effectively saying a woman's place is behind the fridge and using insulting words into the bargain.

Some other groups of people will reclaim rude/insulting words about themselves in an ironic type of way. That doesn't make it fine for other people who aren't in that group to use the word in the negative way it was originally meant.

Stravy Fri 20-Sep-13 20:40:37

Yes, that's true. UKIP have MEPs though. UKIPs rise has been scarily meteoric, a bit like the Nazis in the '30s. I would be interested to see how many people they have standing in the next General election. I've never lived anywhere with a Green Party candidate in any election but there is always a UKIP person. I think that may be fairly representative, especially in the North and Midlands where they are taking votes from both Con and Labour.

Dobbiesmum Fri 20-Sep-13 20:50:12

The problem with UKIP is that if you listen to them they say very sensible things intertwined with scary shit. I listened to Farage today on the news and found myself being almost lulled into nodding in agreement with some of the things he said until I actually listened to everything, and I'm a pretty left wing tending towards Green in my political beliefs.

Dobbiesmum Fri 20-Sep-13 20:52:04

Having said that I was actually dozing off with the toddler at the time...

BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 21:17:40

LOL it's just occurred to me that UKIP members think Slutwalk are a bunch of mopless women making some sort of protest about domestic chores.

MadBusLady Fri 20-Sep-13 21:37:08

grin

ExcuseTypos Fri 20-Sep-13 21:43:26

He's the man who referred to 'Bongo Bongo' land last month.

He's a grade A twat.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Fri 20-Sep-13 21:58:16

He's such an idiot.

But that's what some people are looking for in their politicians, so what can you do? hmm Democracy in the world of the Daily Mail.

kim147 Fri 20-Sep-13 21:59:26

I wonder what the Daily Mail, well known supporter of women's rights. will think?

babybarrister Fri 20-Sep-13 22:12:12

Sorry but I thought the slut joke was hilarious - of course it was meant as a double entendre

Haven't and wouldn't vote for BNP and think that they are racists in general but I really cannot see the problem with that joke. I live in London and am not in my eighties and knew what the original meaning of slut was ..

kim147 Fri 20-Sep-13 22:13:23

You mean UKIP, not BNP?

PatPig Fri 20-Sep-13 22:13:49
Viviennemary Fri 20-Sep-13 22:19:04

It's a ridiculous fuss about nothing. It was a joke about messiness.

BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 22:24:13

Um, the double entendre thing is neither here nor there.

If he meant slut as in the messy woman meaning of the word, it's still sexist. It's tapping into the idea that it's women's job to keep the place clean, while men get on with doing important things like ruling the country.

babybarrister Fri 20-Sep-13 22:26:40

It was a joke though .....!!

Permanentlyexhausted Fri 20-Sep-13 22:27:33

Possibly the most cringe-worthy part of that clip is the self-satisfied woman defending Godfrey Bloom by suggesting that the reporter in particular, and the media in general, have failed to differentiate between the words slut and slag because of their lack of a proper grammar school education. No doubt she is one of those who laughed heartily at his hilarious joke - I have a mental picture of her chortling "Oh, Godfrey! You're such a card". She has failed to recognise that it is, and has always been, a derogatory term.

Still, never mind, I'm sure Godfrey was having a gay old time anyway.

kim147 Fri 20-Sep-13 22:28:59

In the meeting, he was being challenged on his comments about women "not cleaning behind the fridge". Two women said they did not clean behind the fridge and he called them "sluts".

He's just a sexist man who ironically sits on the gender and equality committee. He expects women to be in the house doing the housework.

BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 22:30:35

Ah yes, it being a joke excuses any level of sexism, racism, anti-semitism, homophobia etc.

That's why UKIP are so jovial, as Saffiz remarked.

BasilBabyEater Fri 20-Sep-13 22:31:44

It works for Boris as well doesn't it? That joviality, that bonhomie - you can be as rabid as you like as long as you're charming and hail fellow well-met.

namechangesforthehardstuff Fri 20-Sep-13 22:38:08

'it was a joke though'.... And therefore OK?

AdventureTed Fri 20-Sep-13 23:11:09

The BBC news coverage of the 'slut' remark ruining Farage's party conference looked positively gleeful. By being so obviously biased against UKIP, they will make people feel sorry for Farage.

Most people don't like to see bullying, and so might feel a natural instinct to protect the 'underdog'. They seemed to gloatingly portray him in a way akin to a boy who's long awaited birthday party had been ruined. I think it could backfire.

WetAugust Fri 20-Sep-13 23:14:27

I posted this on the similar thread that's running on In the News.

You said the BBC looked gleeful. The Telegraph are also having a very personal pop at Farage by printing this photo

Farage photo

I think the Press are being rather stupid as this will backfire.

PatPig Fri 20-Sep-13 23:38:42

Yes they are playing the persecuted line quite well, just check C4's coverage

www.channel4.com/news/ukips-godfrey-bloom-biffs-michael-crick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now