To be appalled at this 'Breastfeeding Welcome' sticker?

(75 Posts)
becsparkel Thu 19-Sep-13 22:17:15

There is (and has been for some years it would seem) a 'Breastfeeding Welcome' sticker on a TOILET door, in the antenatal department of King's College Hospital, in London. My friend tried to get the sticker removed a few years ago but it's still there. KCH is accredited stage 1 under UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative - this sticker is not baby friendly. The message is totally subversive.

If you tweet and feel inclined, their twitter account is @KingsCollegeNHS

AnneUulmelmahay Thu 19-Sep-13 22:23:32

Evi please, not just on your sayso iyswim.

izzydazzling Thu 19-Sep-13 22:31:11

maybe someone with a sense of humour stuck it on all those years ago...

in my local supermarket the 'feeding room' is a cubicle right next to an actual toilet cubicle. That's telling those breast feeders where they can stick it eh?

becsparkel Thu 19-Sep-13 22:37:59

Have uploaded photo on my profile page.

hmm, sense of humour... on a toilet door... in antenatal department??

oohdaddypig Thu 19-Sep-13 22:38:56

In fairness, sometimes I think it's just a way of letting people know there is a private area in which they can breastfeeding, should they not want to in public.

Perhaps all in all not an ideal place in a hospital, but it doesn't sound like they are saying "only breastfeed here"

I've possibly just been lucky but have never felt uncomfortable breastfeeding anywhere public nor made to feel unwelcome doing so...

CatAmongThePigeons Thu 19-Sep-13 22:41:04

It's in a place where most women who would breastfeed will see. It's not necessarily saying you must only feed in the toilet, is it?

It will be seen by the demographic they want to see it.

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 19-Sep-13 22:42:06

Yes you are lucky.

In a toilet? Euw.

olidusUrsus Thu 19-Sep-13 22:43:09

OP your profile isn't clickable...

MariaLuna Thu 19-Sep-13 22:48:49

Yes, bit weird to see it on a loo door in a hospital hmm

I do think however it would be great to see it on coffeeshops and cafes in town for us breastfeeding women to be able to relax in. While out and about doing our business, baby in tow sling.

I breastfed for a year 20-odd years ago. There were few places I felt comfortable retreating to with a hungry baby at the time. (Always had a pashima-style shawl to cover us).

Awks Thu 19-Sep-13 22:51:20

It doesn't mean breasfeed in the loo, it means breastfeeding is welcome on the premises.

PictureMeInThese Thu 19-Sep-13 22:53:34

Maybe its telling the mums that are sitting in the cubicle about to feed their child that its not necessary to feed them in said cubicle!

izzydazzling Thu 19-Sep-13 23:04:37

Well I would laugh. I would assume that someone was taking the piss by sticking a breastfeeding welcome sticker on an ACTUAL toilet door in a hospital in antenatal clinic because they couldn't possibly be being serious now could they?

Why don't you just peel it or pick it off if you upsets you so much? Women can breastfeed wherever they want to nowadays with the full clout of the law behind them, who needs a toilet?

Saffyz Thu 19-Sep-13 23:13:07

It's unnecessary, as women have the right to breastfeed wherever they like. If the stickers become popular, people might assume that places without stickers are not for breastfeeding.

cafecito Thu 19-Sep-13 23:52:27

I'd suggest it should be on the entrance to the antenatal department not on the toilet door, I can't really remember it when I had mine there other than there being a huge waiting area often very multicultural and very very busy.

I think appalled is a strong word when the place is full of people working their socks off 24/7/365 trying to save lives, though. priorities etc.

Amy106 Fri 20-Sep-13 00:55:14

Yikes! Who would want to breast feed in a toilet?

WorraLiberty Fri 20-Sep-13 00:57:50

My friend tried to get the sticker removed a few years ago but it's still there.

Why didn't she just pull it off?

TiggyD Fri 20-Sep-13 06:17:23

Still no proof.

TheFallenNinja Fri 20-Sep-13 06:22:36

Just perhaps it's nothing more sinister than a sticker on an upright surface and means nothing more than what it says in said sticker.

DropYourSword Fri 20-Sep-13 06:28:02

Peel it off!

I misread MariaLuna`s post initially and thought she said she had breastfed FOR 20 years!

MrsMook Fri 20-Sep-13 06:37:55

A toilet door is an unfortunate location for the sticker.

How many people would have a need to feed in an antenatal department though? How many people are still BFing while pg with a subsequent child, and have bought the child with them, and that child requires a feed?

The stickers generally are a decent idea. There's a few at cafes and restaurants near me, and in the first month or two it was reassuring that it was "welcome" having heard various stories of people being challenged. It didn't take me long to gain confidence to feed wherever was required, but for many people confidence is a much bigger issue, and often people lacking confidence in public feeding are more likely to switch to formula sooner.

MrsLouisTheroux Fri 20-Sep-13 08:21:56

cafe: I think appalled is a strong word when the place is full of people working their socks off 24/7/365 trying to save lives, though. priorities etc.
^^ This!

OP. I will leave the task of removing this sticker to those who make a career out of being offended.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Fri 20-Sep-13 08:24:59

Do you often find yourself reacting strongly to minor annoyances?

I would assume it was meant up be taken as welcome in the premesis and that the toilet door is garunteed to be seen by more women than if it was put anywhere else.

God some people take offence so easily who on earth would honestly think it would mean actually on the loohmm

There was an advert on a loo door for a party at soft play. Doubt that's held in the loo either.

Moxiegirl Fri 20-Sep-13 08:27:40

Appalled hmm
Calm down it's only a sticker.

greenbananas Fri 20-Sep-13 08:30:56

Ah but the little things are important because they are insidious. It might be a joke, but there are loads of people who don't get it, and pregnant mums are not the best audience.

Just peel it off yourself. or mention it to the staff in an "oh no, did you know?" kind of way. If it goes back up, then you can make a fuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now