New car decision- we disagree

(65 Posts)
Pinkpinot Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:35

Dh doesn't drive. And is probably in the car for 2/3 long journeys a year
I do about 10-12k miles per year.
Who gets to decide what car we get?

Andro Fri 20-Sep-13 12:55:43

He moans when he gets in the A6, makes a big fuss about putting the seat all the way back

I now fail to understand why he wants another one then!

If you don't like the Q5 (and I don't blame you) then I'm sure he understands that your 'dislike/discomfort' is as valid as his...

Andro Fri 20-Sep-13 12:57:15

X-post. Why get a car do don't want though? Especially if you're the main driver. I think you need to look as some other options tbh.

WMittens Fri 20-Sep-13 13:15:08

*It's a sportier model of the A4. He thinks the A4 is too small for him.
It's still a family car.*

It has a coupe roofline so if at any time he needs to sit in the back then he's going to be squashed; in the front he should be OK, but I would pity anyone who sits behind him.

And this:

AKAK81
YABU for wanting to spend so much on such a bland euro box.

Pinkpinot Fri 20-Sep-13 13:24:12

He's never going to need to sit in the back

And I didn't really ask for opinions on my choice of car, thanks!!

Anyway, I don't think we'll be getting it any time soon, so I guess we have time to discuss

StuntGirl Fri 20-Sep-13 13:41:07

Why don't you both look for an entirely different car that isn't the one either of you have chosen here?

I think YAbothBU tbh, so look for another compromise!

cumfy Fri 20-Sep-13 15:07:25

But won't his ban expire fairly soon and you won't be the sole driver ?

Pinkpinot Fri 20-Sep-13 15:28:19

But we've both already chosen stunt girl!
It's not a dealbreaker, if I insist he'll say yes, get the A5, and really I'm happy with the A6
We are not actually rowing about it

He's not banned cumfy, he needs to take driving tests, and I just know he'll never get round to it. It's been 2 years
And even if he could drive, he wouldn't ever do the driving I do. He rarely goes anywhere at the weekend and works long hours during the week

Hulababy Sat 21-Sep-13 07:53:19

Not been in an A5. I did used to have an a4 cabriolet though. You suggested it was similar size to an a4. Well we found the a4 cab a bit compromised in space tbh especially in the back. Was a lovely car but not very practical for a family car I guess. But it really does depend on what size an a5 is.

Have you been for a test drive along with DH?

Hulababy Sat 21-Sep-13 07:55:49

You say DH won't need to go in the back? Do you not have other adult passengers? What about growing children?

Pinkpinot Sat 21-Sep-13 09:10:17

I've driven them, he's sat in them!
We have one small child
He rarely gets in this car, we occasionally go to friends 20mins away
Rarely any other adult passengers as well as him.
I do long distance motorway driving to my parents, he doesn't come
I only ever have one other small child in the back.
My older niece can sit in the front

lljkk Sat 21-Sep-13 09:27:10

Weird, my dad is about* 6'3" and 16-18 stone. He fits fine in my Fiat 500. He doesn't fit in a Smart car, though. smile

*Dad used to be 6'4", but he's 71yo now so probably shrunk a bit.

Get a copy of What Car? and compare the running costs, OP, or look at Honest John. Anything like an SUV will be so expensive to run.

SirChenjin Sat 21-Sep-13 09:28:39

My DH is 6'1", 17 stone and drives a (new) Fiesta. Manages to fit in there absolutely fine!

nokidshere Sat 21-Sep-13 09:44:51

We bought a new car recently . I already have a seat Alhambra for work so the new one is essentially DH's for work and our family car. I am 5ft2 and DH is 6ft6 and our two boys at 12 & 14 are 5ft5 and 6ft respectively.

I do the research - cost, value for money, running and maintenance costs, and safety.

Then I choose what we are going to look at

We all go for test drives because both adults need to drive it and both boys need to fit behind the driver

Then we all choose which one we like best

Then I decide which one we are having grin

Because if you do it in the right way everyone feels that we made a joint decision. Even though I had already decided which one we were going to get before we started the process

lljkk Sat 21-Sep-13 09:58:24

And costs of parts omg, the frigging repairs. Any repairs on our diesel Kia cost a bomb.

MrsMook Sat 21-Sep-13 12:09:25

I get a veto on DH's car as I'm an occasional driver, and will take turns on long journeys. The critical thing is that I have a comfortable driving position as being small, some large cars are not well designed for a petite driver with things like blind spots. I sat in one car in a showroom and said no immediately as the windows were so I high felt claustrophobic. As a passenger my demands are slight. The only thing I'm really against is sports style seats as my chest isn't broad enough so my arms kind of crush in on me. It still leaves a broad choice of cars for him, and he'll tend to decide on costs and efficiency. We tend to go for the same colours grin

My car is a mid-size so that gives him few comfort issues, so once I'm comfortable, the choice is again about value, and there's not much grounds for him to veto. Again, he's an occasional driver. We tend to use mine more to avoid shifting car seats and prams, but his extra boot space is handy on occasion.

The car needs to be comfortable for the drivers, for size and positioning. It's rare for an adult partner to need to sit in the back. (Bagsy me to be the only one small enough to contort between two car seats hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now