Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be a bit hmm about a person who said she couldn't get on with women?

(182 Posts)
TheRunawayTrain Thu 19-Sep-13 20:46:19

Apparently female friendships are bitchy (implied/said but not in those words) and so on hmm

I thought we were making friends too. Then I mention I'm friends with this woman who does x (she was talking about that subject so was relevant) and she starts.

AIBU? I asked her why she was writing off half the population (in politer ways) and the conversation carried on awkwardly as we both disagreed, but didn't get heated much. I can remember one woman at university saying something similar. I think dismissing being friends with people for their gender is hmm especially as she's a woman herself!

passedgo Wed 25-Sep-13 02:06:28

Good god I never saw you as a pushover, how strange.

It might be that women don't like you because of your confidence. I usually precede the word bitch with'insecure'. The two go together.

The truth is that women are morr concerned with being popular than men, that comes before productivity, effectiveness or even morals.

Passedgo, that's an awful way to think about half the human race. Do you include yourself in that?

lavenderhoney Wed 25-Sep-13 04:04:57

We invited a couple round, my dh knew him from work. His dw came in, sat down, accepted a drink, and after about 10 minutes chatting said " I don't normally get on with women, but you seem alright"

I wasn't sure if this was a compliment or not tbhsmile I just laughed. She said women found it hard to accept she wasnt after their dh, tossing her hair back and giggling as she said so.

I'm afraid I laughed like a drainsmile it was quite entertaining actually. Her dh even said it was nice for his dw to find another woman who she could talk to as it was difficult for her as she was so beautiful. My dh nearly spat his drink outsmile

she was ok really, and didnt have dc. I think the reality of babies and needing women friends in her situation might change her, i don't know.

TartanRug Wed 25-Sep-13 04:11:22

How can anyone say that a percentage of women/men are a certain way, that's ridiculous.

I work with a woman who claims she does not get on with other women because she believes they are all jealous of her. Its actually because she's never particularly nice to the women at work yet bends over backwards for any of the men. She has also never shagged any of the women but will happily tell you which of the men she's shagging at that point.

Fecklessdizzy Wed 25-Sep-13 09:44:20

This thread has really opened my eyes. Every single individual that ever done me wrong was a human being of some sort. Bastards. I'm only going to hang out with lizards from now on.

NoComet Wed 25-Sep-13 12:57:48

Women as real friends are great, as colleagues and acquaintances they can be judgmental, competitive, gossipy and untrust worthy.

As casual acquaintances men are far nicer.

The only two real cunts I have ever met were, sadly, female.

NoComet Wed 25-Sep-13 12:58:35

Make that 2.5, I can think of another woman who tries very hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now