Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To let ds do his special head rub to other babies?

(42 Posts)
froken Thu 19-Sep-13 20:22:15

Ds is 9 months old, he has started liking other babies.

We go out to different groups most days, he has started doing a special strange head rub thing to other babies. He crawls up to them, puts his head down and leans his head on the other baby's head.

He doesn't bite or push them over, he is gentle but it is invading the other babies personal space.

I think (hope) that the head rub is actually a cuddle, I always put my head close to his whilst cuddling him and dp sniffs ds's head when he cuddles him.

A couple of times the child at the recieving end of the head rub has become upset and I have immediatly taken ds away, normally the child just looks at ds.

Some of the little children pinch/bite/hit, I am aware that that is compleatly normal behaviour in small children. The parents follow them around saying "no we don't bite/hit/pinch"

Should I also be telling ds "no we don't head rub with other people"?

TarkaTheOtter Fri 20-Sep-13 15:58:22

I would say something like "aww gently, X" so the other parent knew I was watching but no I wouldn't stop it unless it upset the other baby.

Teapigging Fri 20-Sep-13 14:35:15

Gouger. Grr.

Teapigging Fri 20-Sep-13 14:34:59

Mine was more of an eye-gouged at that age...

Mojavewonderer Fri 20-Sep-13 14:32:30

Aww sounds so cute smile

froken Fri 20-Sep-13 14:20:59

The groups that we go to are split into babies who can move and babies who can't move. The youngest babiesin his group are 6 months but moving.

I wouldn't let him do it to a teeny baby!

We don't have a cat and he has never really seen a cat, those people with cats and babies who head rub each other are very lucky what a cute thing!

Thepowerof3 Fri 20-Sep-13 13:39:35

Try and only let him do it to babies with older siblings, you'll be able to tell!

edam Fri 20-Sep-13 11:08:53

Sounds just like ds and our cat - they do enjoy rubbing heads. grin But some other babies will not like it. You seem to be doing the right thing by taking ds away if another baby is upset.

I read the title and thought "wow, this baby does Indian head massages?!"
blush grin

SkodaLabia Fri 20-Sep-13 11:00:04

DD would have HATED that and wailed for ages, so, cute though it may be, some babies don't like have their personal space invaded when they're happily minding their own business. smile

Crowler Fri 20-Sep-13 10:54:48

You're actually making me want a baby, so YABU.

StElmo Fri 20-Sep-13 10:51:41

OMG. That was so BORING!

Dorris83 Fri 20-Sep-13 10:20:44

I must be in the minority but I would find that bizarre if a 9 month old did that to my baby. It sounds very sweet but is be worried he might mistakely kneel on my baby, bang heads or otherwise unintentionally hurt him.
I think I'd be ok if you we're right there next to him and said something like 'gentle' becuse I would know that you were involved and would feel better, but if he came over to my non mobile baby and you weren't around I'd probably gently distrat him and move him away (which is what I tend to do when older babies are likely to crawl directly over my baby.)

Sounds like a lovely little cuddle to me. My boy has only just started cuddling and kissing at 17 months, and it mostly involves a gentle rubbing headbutt!

Finola1step Fri 20-Sep-13 09:11:36

Sounds like he is exploring and it's an attempt at a cuddle or "nuzzling in". Don't worry about it.

Squitten Fri 20-Sep-13 09:10:14

Wouldn't bother me. I would stop him doing anything potentially dangerous like putting fingers in the mouth though - that could get nasty very quickly for both of them!

Cluffyflump Fri 20-Sep-13 09:10:05

Awwwww
That is so cute smile

stella69x Fri 20-Sep-13 09:08:23

I would hope he grows out of it thou coz I have 1 word for you - nits!

Thepowerof3 Fri 20-Sep-13 09:06:25

Some people could do with the help getting a grip

SoupDragon Fri 20-Sep-13 08:55:52

Think about how you would have felt had a bigger baby/child come up to yours and did the same thing. Some people would be horrified at a bigger child coming up to their little baby - I know I would have been appalled had a child done things to DS1 that DS1 did to DS2 smile

There's nothing wrong with it but just be aware others may see a large baby looming over their littler one. Depends on the age of the babies he's doing it to really smile

lottiegarbanzo Fri 20-Sep-13 08:51:47

Fingers in your mouth is a normal stage and sign of affection. Doesn't go down so well with other people!

Dd has always tried to interact with other babies and toddlers, with mixed success. She used to touch faces, which didn't go well and I'm always hovering to remove her if they dislike it or she 'hits' instead of stroking. They learn and get gentler through practice.

CrazyOldCatLady Fri 20-Sep-13 08:49:45

Ds used to do this, I honestly do think he picked it up from out cats. as long as he was gentle we left him to it. He was just being affectionate. We were always beside him and never let him hurt anyone. Now he likes to give other kids hugs and kisses, especially if they're crying.

Thepowerof3 Fri 20-Sep-13 08:43:26

He's welcome to give my 9 month old a head rub, sounds cute

valiumredhead Fri 20-Sep-13 08:25:57

That sounds so sweetsmile

Do you have a cat OP? My cat does this grin

WafflyVersatile Fri 20-Sep-13 00:14:20

He's a 9 month old exploring his world, same as the other babies. Leave him be, unless the other baby looks upset, same as you are doing and same as you would do with any other behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now