Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

about Christmas thread rudeness?

(79 Posts)
froken Thu 19-Sep-13 19:19:18

Recently more and more Christmas threads have been popping up in AIBU. Yes we all know it is September but the people posting obviously care about the issue they are posting about.

On every thread there allways seems to be a couple of people popping us saying "yabu to even think about christmas in September" "I don't even think about Christmas untill after 9pm on the 24th of December" and the worst "there is a Christmas thread you should post in there instead of in AIBU"

The threads are clearly marked as containing Christmas bassed issues but still some people who have a hatred of early Christmas planning open the thread, read the thread and then post a rude reply. I have seen this happen on threads with fairly sensertive content.

The idea that all Christmas bassed AIBU should be in the Christmas thread is really mean in my opinion. No one goes onto a thread where the person has written something like "AIBU to be worried that my 6 year has no friends at school?" and says "ummm you do know there is an education topic, you should post there not in AIBU"

Many people don't need to plan Christmas in advance, some people do need to plan Christmas in advance. I need to book flights, dp will need to book time off work, there are complex family issues behind who is where on Christmas day. I don't think I (and other posters who need to plan Christmas in advance) should feel like we are offending people by asking questions about our issues.

AIBU to think that if you don't want to think/read about Christmas in September then don't open threads with the word Christmas in the title?

Trigglesx Fri 20-Sep-13 16:40:16

I don't mind it. But then I love all things Christmas (except the cost!!).

I will say that I feel I've missed something though... parkin is better than Christmas cake? What's parkin? Must do some looking on that..... confused

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 15:38:20

I quite like Christmas and I do read the Christmas bargain thread.
But I'm quite arsey about any thread being posted in AIBU just because the OP never posts anywhere else.

<dons thread police hat>

PeppiNephrine Fri 20-Sep-13 15:31:19

Sometimes the right answer is yabu to be talking about christmas though. If someone comes on saying "oh I'm so worried about where great aunt muriel is going to sit" or "AIBU to wonder if my sister will bring her new boyfriend to lunch" etc etc, then the absolute correct answer is for fucks sake why are you are stressing about this now? Its months away, get a grip on yourself.
nothing to do with being mean spirited or bah humbug about it.

usualsuspect Fri 20-Sep-13 15:28:46

Some posters never leave the AIBU topic, so I suppose it's inevitable that they will post about Christmas in there.

froken Fri 20-Sep-13 14:51:08

I find it sad that posters are saying they don't even read tge Christmas thread just wade in and post their petty "yabu to be talking about Christmas" what if that thread has sensitive content or a vulnerable op?

It is ok to not want to talk about Christmas early, If you think those who have posted about Christmas are so very dull why do you bother to reply/read their threads? If you don't reply/read the threads how can a word be so offensive? I understand that a few people have upsetting memories of Christmas but I would assume no more than any common aibu subject.

Those people saying it is unreasonable to discuss Christmas hampers and pyjamas have you actually seen aibu to buy my dc's Christmas pyjamas from primark type aibu? All the aibu surrounded Christmas that I have seen have been aibu to say no to the extended family coming for Christmas dinner on my due date and that sort of thing.

StuntGirl Fri 20-Sep-13 12:28:51

There are plenty of reasons on MN to show annoyance. But a question from someone about a fraught family situation that will be exacerbated at Christmas isn't one of them.

This.

Some people get in an absolute grump over Christmas. You know what I do? I ignore 'em. They could take a leaf from my book grin

HotCrossPun Fri 20-Sep-13 12:16:34

YANBU.

HO, HO HO!

LazyMonkeyButler Fri 20-Sep-13 12:13:31

Very true guilty.

guiltyconscience Fri 20-Sep-13 12:12:46

I see what you mean Lazy, it's all anon on on here so ppl get away with stuff they wouldn't even dream of doing/saying in RL take it all with a pinch of salt most of the mns esp here this am have been lovely and very funny. Think we have to get to know who to bounce off and who to avoid like t'plague.

LazyMonkeyButler Fri 20-Sep-13 12:09:24

Not bitter. Well maybe just a little. I despise bullying & childish behaviour (from adults) which is what all the "ooo - your thread is in the wrong place, waa waa" basically is.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 20-Sep-13 12:05:23

I dont think YABU. Just don't reply to the thread if you don't want to read about xmas! Some of us (like me) start planning xmas early as it helps with money. I find if i scrabble with presents in december i panic/can't afford things. I start buying in september and by xmas I'm the smug one nearly all done grin

guiltyconscience Fri 20-Sep-13 12:04:30

Lazy you sound bitter my dear

LazyMonkeyButler Fri 20-Sep-13 12:02:51

Thread Police make me angry TBH.

I don't read the threads with Christmas in the title, because it is September.

I don't find it difficult not to click on them though.

Just because some posters are better known/have been around longer doesn't make them god. Individual posters have no right to be saying what topics other posters can have an AIBU question about.

AIBU, by it's very nature covers all topics. Unless you are using it to gloat about your Christmassy readiness & don't actually have an AIBU question. Then you deserve shooting.

SunshineMMum Fri 20-Sep-13 11:39:55

grin I know I sometimes dislike myself!

guiltyconscience Fri 20-Sep-13 11:39:13

Sunshine I could really get to dislike you lol!

guiltyconscience Fri 20-Sep-13 11:38:33

Usual mine too ! They never even heard of a hamper on xmas eve hehe !

PeppiNephrine Fri 20-Sep-13 10:35:08

Lazy posters ruin things for the rest of us. There are topics for a reason, you're not such a special flower that they don't apply to you.
Its months away, and its just not that important. Early christmas chatterers are the worlds dullest people, do you not have anything else on between now and then?

SunshineMMum Fri 20-Sep-13 10:25:21

YANBU I have nearly finished my Christmas shopping and I have wrapped it grin

KoalaFace Fri 20-Sep-13 08:37:22

YANBU

There is a weddings board but everyone still loves a bit of wedding action in AIBU.

And weddings can be very triggering too you know.

There are plenty of reasons on MN to show annoyance. But a question from someone about a fraught family situation that will be exacerbated at Christmas isn't one of them.

Well I haven't started any threads but have been watching the bargain threads and am happy to click on a thread if it looks interesting. I have a baby due in December so need to have finished my Christmas shopping before then. If that makes me deathly dull then so be it. Couldn't give a stuff what you or anyone else thinks. I happen to find the thread police deathly dull. If you don't want to see it, why click on it?

londone17 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:58:51

Well said.

colourmehappytheresasofainhere Thu 19-Sep-13 22:53:09

Yanbu! Fuck off thread police, frankly. Ruins things. Sigh.

Mintyy Thu 19-Sep-13 22:46:02

Yes, I would be blissfully ignorant about elf-on-the-shelf, Christmas Eve pyjamas and now this new pile of nonsense the Christmas Eve hamper (ffs) if it wasn't for Mumsnet.

I "do" Christmas in 3 weeks and we all have a lovely time. I reckon we might spend about £4-500 more than in a usual month, so that takes some planning for, but afaiac, people who are discussing what they are having for a starter 3 months in advance are just deathly dull.

Parkin is better than Christmas cake.

Ergo Bonfire Night is better than Christmas.

AnneUulmelmahay Thu 19-Sep-13 22:41:40

God I love parkin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now