ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

White girls should stop Twerking AIBU

(154 Posts)
Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 13:25:09

To find this comment offensive? A FB (sorry!) friend has posted this comment on a video. I have never twerked nor do I intend to but find it outrageous to be told I shouldn't because I'm white

Thepowerof3 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:20:55

What a way to make a living SP

Thepowerof3 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:20:30

The video that the girl commented on wasn't of anyone famous ie Miley Cyrus, just a random girl (white) Twerking

mignonette Sat 21-Sep-13 11:42:16

grin SPs

<twerks showing off name>

frogspoon Sat 21-Sep-13 10:38:20

I was about to say YABU until I realised that you thought the comment was offensive.

YANBU, I find it offensive too. It has nothing to do with skin colour, but I don't like twerking anyway.

nicename Sat 21-Sep-13 10:34:06

I saw the miley cyrus video last night. I almost laughed my twerk off. She doesn't actually have a bum does she? And what's with the mankini?

Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:55:55

Im twying to twerk it out but I cant seem to grasp the gist of it, I must be a twerp

ChoudeBruxelles Thu 19-Sep-13 21:54:45

Twerk - stupid autocorrect

ChoudeBruxelles Thu 19-Sep-13 21:54:26

No one should tweak

Power You gotta twerk it out

Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:49:48

Freudian slipper your post makes no sense to me im afraid

MistressDeeCee Thu 19-Sep-13 20:22:58

some of us do have twerk to be getting on with you know, no time to sit around here rhyming all evening like some grin.

mignonette Thu 19-Sep-13 20:20:50

grin understandable to think Ali G- that Clash song is pretty obscure...

FreudiansSlipper Thu 19-Sep-13 20:14:35

oh blush

mignonette Thu 19-Sep-13 20:11:54

grin at Freud. T'was Joe Strummers' Julie.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 19-Sep-13 20:09:32

yes it is like twerking itself smile

though

Julie's been twerking for the drug squad' shock shock

is that me Julie?

mignonette Thu 19-Sep-13 20:05:41

'Brothers gonna twerk it out'

'I got my Mojo Twerking'

'Twerking my way back to you'

mignonette Thu 19-Sep-13 20:04:06

'Welcome to the twerking week'

'Twerking class hero'

'Twerking in a coal mine'

'She twerks hard for the money'

'Julie's been twerking for the drug squad'

Freudian Its a little fun isn't it?! grin

"Daddys twerking boots"

"Paddy twerked on the railway"

DragonsAreReal Thu 19-Sep-13 20:02:48

I think we should all do a home video of us and our familys twerking and make a MN xmas special wink

FreudiansSlipper Thu 19-Sep-13 19:59:01

We can Twerk it out

but only if we are

Twerking day and night

grin

mignonette Thu 19-Sep-13 19:57:53

I speak French and Spanish but the only opportunity I get to hear Creole now is when I meet up with a friend who comes from the Seychelles and her Creole is a bit different w/ her French accent. I got badly bullied when I returned to the UK because I had forgotten most of my English and they teased me. My Spanish Master told me I spoke like a Mexican Peasant which made things worse and made me feel ashamed. I would now say proudly that the people who taught me to speak Spanish and French would maybe be considered 'peasants' by some UC snob but I loved them.

So for many years I refused to speak in anything other than English and became very rusty in Spanish especially. I have now resumed speaking it and thank goodness it appeared to be subconsciously there and came back.

I've been replacing the word Work with the Twerk in songs. It quite amusing grin

"I like the way you Twerk it, no diggity"

"Twerking 9 to 5, what a way to make a living"

"I like to twerk it, twerk it"

"Tommy used to twerk on the docks"

"The drugs dont twerk"

I am easily amused

QueOnda Thu 19-Sep-13 19:51:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MistressDeeCee Thu 19-Sep-13 19:48:07

mignonette Im in St Lucia *. Ive been to Trinidad, I wouldnt mind going to Haiti tho (wonders if mignonette speaks creole..)

TrucksAndDinosaurs very true.

Its crazy that twerking movements have caused so much uproar in the uptight west where white women shouldnt be appropriating quite such a vulgar dance (what are y'all doing tryna be black dont you know you must only do ' white ' dances ) & black women who do it are no better than they should be (stop all that vulgarity, we need to show & prove to other nations how naice & refined we are so they can actually believe it..! )

Couple years back there were some dances that looked similar to twerking but, far wilder. Theres an obvious reason why they didnt cause uproar smile they would have if Miley started doing them tho.

I cant be bothered to get too serious about it, its just a dance. I do like Amber's definition of dancehall tho..Caribbean call & respond dances have their roots in Africa, the dances dont change that much really, just the names of them do

Still just a dance tho & if folks are twerkin all over the club down the road then more power to them if theyre having fun. I hope all dont start Bollywooding thatll cause even more confusion & uproar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now