to wonder if you care what your child's teacher dresses like

(139 Posts)
MsColour Thu 19-Sep-13 12:30:29

The school I work in has just introduced a new dress code. Basically we need to look smart - no denim, skirts not too short, no strappy tops, tattoos covered....Most of generally dress like this anyway so it's not a major issue - I always cover my tattoos for work. My dp thinks that it shouldn't matter as it's the results that count.

Just wondering if parents care what their chidren's teachers look like or is it not an issue.

MrsOakenshield Thu 19-Sep-13 14:39:59

I think if there is a strict uniform policy for pupils then it's only right and fair the same should extend to the staff. If you believe that uniform has a positive effect on children's behaviour and outcomes, then presumably the same could be said for staff - that they will be respected and more authoritative than if they were casual and down-with-the-kids.

Not saying I believe that, just that the two seem to go hand in hand.

DragonsAreReal Thu 19-Sep-13 14:41:32

I really disliked my ds reception teacher showing her thongs and wearing leggings abit to see through sometimes. I say tht as someone who wears thongs and wears leggings.

gobbledegook1 Thu 19-Sep-13 14:42:10

I couldn't care less what they wear provided its not too revealing (doesn't make them look like a hooker) and doesn't contain offensive slogans (including swearing and nudity). I'm all for individuality and care more about the standard of their teaching.

steppemum Thu 19-Sep-13 14:42:48

simple answer - no I don't care what they wear, only if they are a good teacher.

But I would assume that they would be appropriately dressed, no thongs/ cleavage showing, or skinny tight mini skirts.
dd1 teacher in year 2 was fab, totally amazing lady in hippie draped tops over leggings with long purple hair with sometimes red streaks. I actually loved the fact that she looked 'alternative'

mrsjay Thu 19-Sep-13 14:43:24

wny would anybody show their pants especially teachers hmm i have a thong phobia they do my head in when i see them hanging out the back of trousers

bigbluebus Thu 19-Sep-13 14:46:32

I too subscribe to 'professionals' dressing like 'professionals'. That doesn't necessarily mean a suit - unless you are the HT in a Primary or HT/Deputy in a Secondary school - in which case I think a suit for a man and smart business wear for a woman is a given. But appropriate smart wear - not dressing like you would to slouch on the sofa at the weekend. No wonder people report on here that youngsters turn up for job interviews inappropriately dressed. My DS has on more than one occasion been asked to wear 'business wear' to go to events off the school premises, instead of the school uniform of polo shirt and sweatshirt. So if that is the expectation of the children, then it should be how the teachers dress too. I appreciate that primary teachers can get messy when working with small children, but just buy washable smart clothing and not Dry-clean only. No big deal.

And I don't think this should just apply to teachers either. I go to lots of meetings with LA and Healthcare professionals, as a parent. I have lost count of the number of times I have come away from those meetings thinking "what a scruffy bunch" . I'm afraid I can't take them seriously in their professional role if they are not dressed smartly - especially if I am dressed more 'business like' than them. I'm not one to dress up most of the time, but if going to a meeting, I think it shows respect to dress accordingly.

AmandaPandtheNightmareMonsters Thu 19-Sep-13 14:47:29

I don't care about tattoos or alternative clothing. I would expect the clothing to be professional and not too revealing though. I don't think banning very short skirts, strappy tops, etc is out of order. It is a work and learning environment and my children are expected to look smart, so I think teachers should follow suit.

I once had a boss who used to say (about our casual dress code) that if you would wear it to go clubbing, to garden or to the beach you should think twice about whether it was right for work. I thought that wasn't a bad rule of thumb!

DameDeepRedBetty Thu 19-Sep-13 14:52:32

If headteachers and boards of governors had to crawl around on the floor with the Infants and get covered with paint glue glitter mud and all the other things that size child is magnetically attracted to, perhaps we would see the end of the utter craziness of uniform for small children.

And if my dtds are expected to spend the day wearing a sticky synthetic blazer which looks like it cost £5 on a market stall but actually cost nearer £40 as you can only get it from the school, then I expect their teachers to do the same. Especially the Head, who I spotted in his office in shirtsleeves one day last term three days before finally allowing his unfortunate pupils to do the same. angry

I think teachers can wear whatever they like so long as it doesn't provoke wet dreams in adolescent boys and girls (or their parents) - and children should be allowed to wear what they find most comfortable, as long as it is also practical and safe.

Canthisonebeused Thu 19-Sep-13 14:56:00

One of dds teachers always has her tits bursting out of her top, that bothers me slightly but other than that I don't really notice what they wear.

Saffyz Thu 19-Sep-13 14:58:40

The dress code sounds fine to me.

NomDeOrdinateur Thu 19-Sep-13 15:01:04

I like the "can't see up it, down it, or through it" rule, and agree that clothes should be clean, ironed (where appropriate) and in good repair. Things like hair colour, piercings, and tattoos really shouldn't come under judgment, IMO - great teachers generally will be somewhat unusual types (in how they act and/or dress), and I prefer to see learning environments where diversity and harmless self-expression are modeled by adults.

The headmistress of my primary school was an amazing female role model and an exceptional educator, IMO, who ran a very tight ship and was extremely well respected. She always wore eyeliner, a Patsy Stone-esque updo, and a suit that could have been worn on-stage by Chrissie Hynde with a Rolling Stones/other rock band tshirt underneath. <Outs self to anybody who lived in catchment...>

sparkle12mar08 Thu 19-Sep-13 15:23:50

I'd prefer not to have to see tattoos, cleavage or camel toes, but otherwise I can't get too worked up about the type of clothes and fabrics they use to cover said parts. Not a big fan of facial piercings either it must be said.

littleducks Thu 19-Sep-13 15:29:16

I really dislike leggings and waist length tops, especially if they bend or crouch down (primary) and show underwear.

A but scruffy or eccentric bothered me less

larry5 Thu 19-Sep-13 16:19:27

Dd has just started a PGCE and was told by the Deputy Head of one of the schools she could be placed in that the sixth form all wear suits so the staff are expected to dress smartly. We then had to go and look for a jacket to go with the black trousers and skirt that she already has.

RoonilWazlibWuvsHermyown Thu 19-Sep-13 16:23:17

I wouldn't be bothered what my children's teacher wore as long as it was decent so that no one felt awkward. When I was volunteering in a local primary, the teacher wore low cut vest tops almost every day. She had large breasts and every time she bent over to look at a child's work, they'd almost fall out of her top. I could imagine that would make some children and some other members of staff feel awkward. I like that "can't see up it down it through it" rule! I think its nice though if the teacher looks comfortable in what they are wearing (scruffy or smart) because they seem more approachable like that.

quoteunquote Thu 19-Sep-13 16:24:11

Nope I care not one jot how any of my children's teachers dress, (I would object to them covering their face). But as long as they are good at their job then I am happy.

usualsuspect Thu 19-Sep-13 16:26:16

No

Prissyknickers Thu 19-Sep-13 16:27:43

This thread just reminded of when ds1 (now 20) was in reception . His teacher was wearing a vest type top and he told me " Mum when Miss X bends down I can see her lungs!" grin

oscarwilde Thu 19-Sep-13 16:28:44

Welcome to the world outside teaching. Tedious isn't it?

grovel Thu 19-Sep-13 16:30:37

At Eton the teachers wear the same as the boys (well, a short jacket for teachers rather than tailcoats for the boys). Quirky but it seems to work.

motherinferior Thu 19-Sep-13 16:31:59

No.

Though I am deeply cheered by DD1's form tutor who wears staggeringly high heels. She is a dance teacher. I do admire Miss X. She is no stranger to the short skirt either.

thebody Thu 19-Sep-13 16:33:47

fluffy, do our girls go to the same school? grin

oh for sense to break out in education I have that dream.

reception class TA. we have 40 new 4 year olds. we dress them exactly the same and then spend the rest of the year dodging irate parents who cannot seem to grasp the fact that if things arnt labelled we don't know where 'little maisys' school coat is as they all look the BLOODY SAME!!!!

Poledra Thu 19-Sep-13 16:38:02

No.

Though I long to know where one of our teachers buys her clothes - she has some lovely unusual long jumpers and tunics that she wears with leggings and I wants one!

macskater Thu 19-Sep-13 16:44:05

Teachers are, by nature and necessity, creative people and should be allowed to dress accordingly and I would always oppose dress codes. It is interesting for pupils to observe different outfits and styles. If all teachers dressed in Next suits the world of education would be duller. Having said that, an individual who is incapable of judging what is appropriate in a professional sense should be given guidance by the Headteacher. I agree with all the above re personal hygiene and cleanliness.

oscarwilde Thu 19-Sep-13 16:44:17

I work in the City and your dress code is our "summer dress down". An external saleswoman turned up to a meeting over the summer wearing a business suit and long dangly earrings and afterwards everyone in the meeting from our side, spontaneously said "err - what was with the earrings?" So it's a beyond conservative environment.

I don't really care per se but if the school has a strict uniform code for the children, then the staff dress code should reflect that. Otherwise it's just plain bizarre and just breeds resentment with the kids. Denim for all on Jeans for Genes day and so on.
Wearing overtly sexual or revealing clothing is really unprofessional when working with children but teenagers in particular imo.
Tattoos/piercings - rightly or wrongly you will be judged for these. If you wish to appear to be a serious, credible teacher they will need to be minimised.
Scruffy clothes - as in torn or falling apart. Again represent an image of someone who doesn't care and is unprofessional imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now