Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to really dislike the things that Shona Sibary writes

(88 Posts)
mynameismskane Thu 19-Sep-13 11:35:55

Her latest 'effort'
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2424643/I-know-little-girls-young-school-I-need-bit-time-says-SHONA-SIBARY.html

It is NOT about the fact her 4 year old has started school, if I had had an August baby I would have probably sent them to school too. It's her smug writing - and the fact that in an earlier article she spoke about giving her kids medication when they go on a plane to knock them out.

Really don't like the way she writes about things.

BlackbeltinBS Wed 25-Sep-13 09:59:14

I think Shona is a sock puppet for Liz Jones. The more you read of Shona's stuff (and Lucy Cavendish and Katie Hopkins), the more you like Liz Jones because at least she's not selling her children at the same time, she's just insane.

WhatHo Wed 25-Sep-13 10:29:32

Greythorne definitely. She must run it past her DH at the very least.

And the money is bloody good. If anyone's interested, most magazines pay £150-£450 (rumour has it a new travel magazine is paying 3p a word, so that's about £25-£40 a feature. Free holiday though!) Therefore £1,000 plus for some guff you can run up in a couple of hours is a no-brainer. If you're prepared to sell your soul...

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 11:59:22

Yes greythorne it is toxic.

WhatHo I think the Fail is a particularly lucrative one for freelancers to break into. Hence the desperation evident in Sibary's ramblings.

TheHammaconda Wed 25-Sep-13 13:40:20

£1,000 you say. I might run up an article explaining how I encouraged my teenage daughter to get pregnant by an eastern european migrant in order to live a life of luxury on benefits and how I had plastic surgery on the NHS so I could fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a Cherie Blair lookalike. Do you think the Mail would take it?

WhatHo Wed 25-Sep-13 13:53:36

TheHammaconda If you were prepared to take pics of your plastic surgery and knocked-up daughter, and you could bear to become the laughing stock of the nation, then hell YES DM would love that story.

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 13:55:47

I actually have written for the Fail, for the mag that is: I got away with some remarkably lefty-liberal stuff, in fact. And yes, the money was terrific.

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 13:57:32

Now, however, I'm returning to a feature that is a rather more usual rate...

Pawprint Wed 25-Sep-13 16:07:28

She writes to get attention but then isn't that why people write for rags like the DM anyway? And the money, of course.

I've read some of her articles and have enjoyed one or two. The rest I have found either totally egocentric or just a bit dull. I'm not really interested in her family or what they are up to.

Pawprint Wed 25-Sep-13 16:25:31

Ok, just read that she slaps her daughter. Nice. I take it all back about enjoying her stupid articles. She can fuck RIGHT OFF. Stupid bitch.

Twitterqueen Wed 25-Sep-13 16:29:56

She's prostituting her children and her family - earning money on the back of their characters, problems, wants and needs.

I think she is truly awful and I feel so sorry for her poor children.

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 17:15:24

motherinferior you might not be as rich but do you feel better about yourself when you are not writing for them ? grin

motherinferior Wed 25-Sep-13 18:29:50

I did actually feel quite good about writing about the situation of young people with learning disabilities who have nowhere to move on to at 18+. Like I say, it was a remarkably liberal-lefty piece!

grin

I sneaked it in...

GingerBeerAndTinnedPeaches Wed 25-Sep-13 18:32:32

Well done. There is the odd one that I wonder how the writer got it past the editors. The MoS is a tiny tad less bigoted than the DM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now