Tell me how to get rid of mice! Desperate!

(110 Posts)
FlatsInDagenham Thu 19-Sep-13 08:22:07

We've had mice in our Victorian terrace for too long. Many months. We've used a humane trap and we did catch 2 mice ages ago using that, but this latest batch don't go near it.

Every morning I come downstairs to find mouse poo behind my sofas and all over my DD's highchair angry. They are also slowly killing my piano from the inside by leaving poo / wee / dog biscuits inside it.

Last week we put poison down, but so far there is absolutely no change and the bait trays don't look as if they've been disturbed.

What should I try next? An old fashioned spring trap?

By the way, I don't really want to kill them but the poo on the highchair really gives me The Rage and the humane trap isn't working.

MistressDeeCee Sat 22-Feb-14 05:20:20

The only way of keeping mice out of your property is to block all entrances..they can squeeze through 1/4 inch gaps, if not smaller. It can be a long painstaking job especially if you have a large property but do bit by bit, over time. Otherwise more will come in to replace the ones youve killed. Block gaps with steel wool, plaster over any large holes. Make sure you check for cracks in skirting boards too. Mice hate peppermint oil, stick it on cotton wool balls and leave around your home (& inside your piano!). They hate mothballs too, Id try a combination of those and the oil. Agree with peanut butter as best bait for traps. I prefer the humane traps..let the mice out quite far away from your home or theyll just find their way back to you. The council around here are useless, a friend had mice they just came and put down bait which didnt work.

VulvaBeaker Fri 21-Feb-14 13:26:24

Get a male and female cat for complimentary mousing characteristics and enjoyable pets. End of vermin problems.

Get them done, though, if you don't want small cats.

sussexmum38 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:24:20

…nut!

sussexmum38 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:23:56

We have tried humane but with little success. The good old nipper traps works best for us. They are cheap and throw them out with mouse afterwards. Peanut butter is the best bait. They don't seem to mind organic or standard but if you are using crunchy leave off the but!

Thymeout Fri 21-Feb-14 13:17:40

i didn't have any wire wool, so stuffed brillo pads in all gaps, especially round pipes. We have field mice that tend to move in when the weather gets cold.

Snap traps are the best. Always worked for me. I buy lots so I don't have to empty them, use tongs to pick up and put in carrier bag, then bin. Mice tend to run along walls, so position trap accordingly. Peanut butter and chocolate best for bait.

hamptoncourt Fri 21-Feb-14 11:46:43

My cat actually brings the mice in and helpfully drops them in the kitchen, where they run between the washing machine and cupboard and set up camp. useless fucker.

No amount of poison/traps works as he just brings another one in.

Littleen Fri 21-Feb-14 11:45:29

Cat! Male cats seem more keen to hunt and kill from my experience. Our issue is that they leave them on the door mat or play with them in the house when they've killed them off - but we have no problem with live mice or mousepoo indoors :P

Potentially you could get a cagetrap that doesn't kill the mouse, it goes in, steps on a leaver thingy and the door shuts behind them. I'm sure someone has mentioned it with the proper name, I have no idea what they are called smile Also release them quite a bit away from your house :P

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 11:26:32

Get plenty of traps.

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 11:25:38

grin I was going to say - they love peanut butter and chocolate. The peanut butter is sticky so they can't whip it off the trap quickly enough to avoid getting trapped.

IME the mice freed from humane traps just come straight back.

Borrowing a cat is usually effective too IME

trixymalixy Fri 21-Feb-14 10:39:14

We tried all sorts of traps repellers etc. They were all crap.

The only thing that worked for us was putting a couple of these behind the kick boards in the kitchen.

The mice chewed through our phone lines, which cost is a fortune to get fixed.

Since we've put the poison boxes down we haven't had an issue and that's been a couple of years mice free, with other methods it was a constant hassle.

bluebell19681 Fri 21-Feb-14 10:32:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

hellymelly Mon 23-Sep-13 12:24:38

I agree Damnautocorrect. I am shocked they are legal too. As to the inhumanity of non-killer traps, actually mice re-locate all the time, which is how they arrive in our houses to start with! They are well equipped to deal with it. Obviously it is stressful for them, but rather less stressful than being stuck on a glue trap and having to chew ones own leg off.
We get far more bank voles than mice here, and they are rather lovely, but get humanely caught and re-located to the woods with a stash of peanuts. They only come in when the weather gets cold, they are fine outside. With house mice we have sometimes used the snappy kill traps as they do kill instantly.

Damnautocorrect Mon 23-Sep-13 10:00:11

Glue traps, seriously?!? That's got to be the cruelest thing, how are they even legal?!

sarahtigh Mon 23-Sep-13 09:47:02

snap trays are most humane mouse dead in seconds, humane traps are not humane to be rid of mice need to release at least a mile away, may then starve to death or maybe in another mouses patch so fight

poison slowly kills them glue traps cruel so my money for humane working soluuion is snap traps with chocolate or peanut butter spread check daily when we had a problem the first day we emptied traps 4 times but in a week or two were free of the blighters

BMW6 Mon 23-Sep-13 09:18:41

I think mine have moved away (fingers crossed). I bought some Peppermint essential oil and put some drops behind cooker and in doorway to kitchen.........

Not a squeek heard since (Friday lunchtime) and dog has stopped sniffing round the kitchen units.

Am going to keep the access to back of cooker blocked, and refresh the peppermint oil, for a month to make sure the blighters have moved to a new home. They must have been starving, cos there was not a crumb of food that they could get at for weeks!

Crowler Mon 23-Sep-13 06:27:43

Oh my god, I'm shocked by the toasted mouse story. Gross. Poor you.

Can the person who used the bucket trap come back? Does this really, actually work? How many mice have you caught this way?

I am sandwiched between two little old ladies. I think they're both hoarders. I have to deal with mice about once every 2-3 months. Ugh.

bronya Mon 23-Sep-13 06:06:00

Get a cat. Seriously. Problem solved for ever!

Mimishimi Mon 23-Sep-13 03:24:03

A cat and a bucket trap. Suspend some tasty bait (peanut butter, snickers NOT cheese) etc on a string over a bucket half filled with water. You'd have to suspend it off something slippery that they hopefully can't climb (eg shiny metal lightstand/hatstand etc). Put something against the bucket to act as a ramp. They will jump for the bait, miss, land in the bucket of water and drown.

Really enjoying these mouse anecdotes and getting mildly paranoid that I've got'em as well

iloveny001 Sun 22-Sep-13 22:09:20

I should not have been so blasé. Am now onto dead mouse no 3, should never have presumed there was only one. Had a big clear our today, and will be calling landlord in the morning.

BMW6 Fri 20-Sep-13 08:17:22

I am having a battle with mice in my victorian terrace.
The first night I put down humane traps I caught one tiny mouse. Since then, nothing (though I have just re-baited with chocolate raisins).

They are running along a worktop & then dissappearing down the back of the range cooker, so have blocked off that route to try to get them to go onto the floor, where my terrier might catch them. He spends hours sniffing along the floor by the cooker, so he knows that they are there and wants to get them!

Re Toasters - it never occured to me that they would go into the slots at the top, but just after we first realised we had mice, I took out the crumb tray and found zero crumbs, lots of mouse poo.......toaster now wears a cunning hat (upside down biscuit tin) when not in use. That has worked.

Suggest you go check your toaster crumb trays.....good luck!!

after trying everything, a cat was the only thing that did work

LegoWidow Fri 20-Sep-13 00:10:52

To those of you who shudder at the thought of the mouse in my toaster - I can tell you, I was a complete wimp. It was before DP and I lived together. My flat mate came and had a look too but then neither of us would go back in the kitchen (pathetic!) and so I had to get DP to come round (he lived nearby) to dispose of the toaster whilst we shut ourselves in the living room. You'd be amazing how many people were incredulous that I'd thrown the toaster out. The mouse was BEHIND the bars, and the toaster had been turned on! How the hell would one even begin to dig a dead mouse out of that? I'm incredulous that people would even have considered using the toaster again! My DP thought it was hilarious to wait till I was drifting off to sleep that night and do mouse running up my arm impressions with his fingers. Ha bloody ha.

That was the only time I ever saw one where I used to live, but as I say we used to have loads in this house on and off until we used "Block Mice".

I have a bit of a thing about small rodenty things - ugh. DP and the kids want to get a hamster/gerbil/guinea or suchlike. I've said no way - I spent large sums of money getting rodents out of my house, so I'm certainly not going to invite them in willingly!

hellymelly Thu 19-Sep-13 23:05:27

Glue traps are cruel. I think they should be banned tbh. Killing things may sometimes be the only way but those traps are torture, I couldn't sleep at night with mice stuck on those. Am really shuddering at the thought of them, I think I'd rather live with mice.... If you must kill the old fashioned traps are better.

Terrortree Thu 19-Sep-13 23:05:21

Apparently bushels of mint are supposed to send them scurrying, but I think buying bags of mint from your local supermarket may prove costly long term.

I have two cats, who bring them in, and release them for a midnight feast later. Had one in the cooker the other day, and it jumped out and landed on my fat cat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now