Tell me how to get rid of mice! Desperate!

(110 Posts)
FlatsInDagenham Thu 19-Sep-13 08:22:07

We've had mice in our Victorian terrace for too long. Many months. We've used a humane trap and we did catch 2 mice ages ago using that, but this latest batch don't go near it.

Every morning I come downstairs to find mouse poo behind my sofas and all over my DD's highchair angry. They are also slowly killing my piano from the inside by leaving poo / wee / dog biscuits inside it.

Last week we put poison down, but so far there is absolutely no change and the bait trays don't look as if they've been disturbed.

What should I try next? An old fashioned spring trap?

By the way, I don't really want to kill them but the poo on the highchair really gives me The Rage and the humane trap isn't working.

trixymalixy Fri 21-Feb-14 10:39:14

We tried all sorts of traps repellers etc. They were all crap.

The only thing that worked for us was putting a couple of these behind the kick boards in the kitchen.

The mice chewed through our phone lines, which cost is a fortune to get fixed.

Since we've put the poison boxes down we haven't had an issue and that's been a couple of years mice free, with other methods it was a constant hassle.

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 11:25:38

grin I was going to say - they love peanut butter and chocolate. The peanut butter is sticky so they can't whip it off the trap quickly enough to avoid getting trapped.

IME the mice freed from humane traps just come straight back.

Borrowing a cat is usually effective too IME

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 11:26:32

Get plenty of traps.

Littleen Fri 21-Feb-14 11:45:29

Cat! Male cats seem more keen to hunt and kill from my experience. Our issue is that they leave them on the door mat or play with them in the house when they've killed them off - but we have no problem with live mice or mousepoo indoors :P

Potentially you could get a cagetrap that doesn't kill the mouse, it goes in, steps on a leaver thingy and the door shuts behind them. I'm sure someone has mentioned it with the proper name, I have no idea what they are called smile Also release them quite a bit away from your house :P

hamptoncourt Fri 21-Feb-14 11:46:43

My cat actually brings the mice in and helpfully drops them in the kitchen, where they run between the washing machine and cupboard and set up camp. useless fucker.

No amount of poison/traps works as he just brings another one in.

Thymeout Fri 21-Feb-14 13:17:40

i didn't have any wire wool, so stuffed brillo pads in all gaps, especially round pipes. We have field mice that tend to move in when the weather gets cold.

Snap traps are the best. Always worked for me. I buy lots so I don't have to empty them, use tongs to pick up and put in carrier bag, then bin. Mice tend to run along walls, so position trap accordingly. Peanut butter and chocolate best for bait.

sussexmum38 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:23:56

We have tried humane but with little success. The good old nipper traps works best for us. They are cheap and throw them out with mouse afterwards. Peanut butter is the best bait. They don't seem to mind organic or standard but if you are using crunchy leave off the but!

sussexmum38 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:24:20

…nut!

VulvaBeaker Fri 21-Feb-14 13:26:24

Get a male and female cat for complimentary mousing characteristics and enjoyable pets. End of vermin problems.

Get them done, though, if you don't want small cats.

MistressDeeCee Sat 22-Feb-14 05:20:20

The only way of keeping mice out of your property is to block all entrances..they can squeeze through 1/4 inch gaps, if not smaller. It can be a long painstaking job especially if you have a large property but do bit by bit, over time. Otherwise more will come in to replace the ones youve killed. Block gaps with steel wool, plaster over any large holes. Make sure you check for cracks in skirting boards too. Mice hate peppermint oil, stick it on cotton wool balls and leave around your home (& inside your piano!). They hate mothballs too, Id try a combination of those and the oil. Agree with peanut butter as best bait for traps. I prefer the humane traps..let the mice out quite far away from your home or theyll just find their way back to you. The council around here are useless, a friend had mice they just came and put down bait which didnt work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now