Tell me how to get rid of mice! Desperate!

(110 Posts)
FlatsInDagenham Thu 19-Sep-13 08:22:07

We've had mice in our Victorian terrace for too long. Many months. We've used a humane trap and we did catch 2 mice ages ago using that, but this latest batch don't go near it.

Every morning I come downstairs to find mouse poo behind my sofas and all over my DD's highchair angry. They are also slowly killing my piano from the inside by leaving poo / wee / dog biscuits inside it.

Last week we put poison down, but so far there is absolutely no change and the bait trays don't look as if they've been disturbed.

What should I try next? An old fashioned spring trap?

By the way, I don't really want to kill them but the poo on the highchair really gives me The Rage and the humane trap isn't working.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Thu 19-Sep-13 18:09:37

My cat is a useless fucking ginger twat. He brings them IN from outside nevermind getting the inside ones. Anyway, eventually we got a Jack Russell and she's fabulous.

FrigideBarjot Thu 19-Sep-13 18:13:47

We had mice in our attic recently, despite having a cat. We got rid of them with little nipper traps - effective but not for the squeamish.

Please don't use poison, we had a cat that died a lingering death after eating mouse/rat poison or a mouse that had consumed poison. sad

facedontfit Thu 19-Sep-13 18:16:14

We have 3 cats and still have mice. confused

valiumredhead Thu 19-Sep-13 18:24:03

Ring your council, 5 years ago when I lived in London it was free, where I live now you get 3 call outs per year.

Personally, I lay bait mixed with chocolate or jam and traps baited with peanut butter.

Block any visible holes and bleach EVERYTHING.

Put all food away including fruit bowl. All cereals etc in plastic containers.

Btw there is nothing humane about humane traps - you release them into an environment they don't know and just starve to death. Snappy traps are the best.

LegoWidow Thu 19-Sep-13 18:27:37

I had this problem on and off for years and tried everything. Traps, poison, plug ins etc I had council and private pest control and nothing solved the problem. They ignored the humane traps, the poison and the snap traps and strolled right past the plug ins. Occasionally we'd think that they'd gone but within a couple of months, they came back.

Without wishing to sound like a complete wuss - I was terrified of them. It was getting to the stage that I wouldn't go into the kitchen on my own (a handy excuse not to have to cook dinner eh?!) as it was making me panicky. The buggers would sprint across the room. And we saw them upstairs too - including seeing droppings below the baby's cot shudder

A friend recommended a company called Block Mice - and it was the best money I've ever spent. They totally solved the problem. They fill up all the holes basically (gaps in skirting boards, floorboards, gaps around pipes etc) They charge a one-off fee and guarantee this for a year (ie if you see a mouse in a year, they'll come back and keep looking to see if they've missed a hole). Apparently, they almost always get the job done first time, with them having to do a 2nd call out in occasional cases. Apparently we were one of their trickest cases and they ended up coming about 10+ times (no extra fee) and were determine to crack the problem. We have a rickety old georgian terrace house so not dissimilar to you if you live in a Victorian house. They did all sorts of things to fill up the holes in a way that we'd never have managed (well we probably could have if we'd done it rigorously enough) - and ultimately they tracked the route of the mouse (to help them find the final undetectable hole!) with luminous powder. The final hole was behind our fitted kitchen cupboards (we knew they were jumping over the kick board but couldn't work out where they were coming from) and they ended up cutting the back of the drawer unit, and blocking it before putting a panel on the back of the drawer unit.

I've not seen a mouse in about 3 years. I think it cost me about £300 - they base the fee on the size of the house.

LegoWidow Thu 19-Sep-13 18:31:51

Just looked at their website and they only cover London and the SE. I think that the fees are probaby a bit more than what I thought too - they say that they start at £215 for a 1 bed property. Read their FAQs - they explain more about their methods and why they are more successful than pest control generally.

valiumredhead Thu 19-Sep-13 18:38:44

Oh and sprinkle talc on floor to see where it's disturbed and you'll see where they're coming in!

OryxCrake Thu 19-Sep-13 18:57:24

We've seen a couple of mice in the house over the past year (sadly our cat died a while back - we never saw any signs while she was alive) and I surprised myself as well as everyone else by screaming and running away (didn't think they'd bother me but they did).

The humane traps were useless despite using copious amounts of peanut butter, bits of Snickers bar etc.

What worked for us was plugging even tiny holes with wire wool and putting peppermint-soaked cotton wool pads around the house where we'd seen them. Actually I don't know whether the peppermint worked because they may just not have been able to get in any more but it gave me peace of mind.

The Block Mice company sounds like a good bet if you're not sure you've got all the entry points. Good luck!

paperlantern Thu 19-Sep-13 18:58:15

cat or sticky paper

only two things that have ever worked for me. (yes I know the sticky paper is inhumane, but it does actually work)

LegoWidow Thu 19-Sep-13 19:18:10

OryxCrake - yes that's the thing, we'd tried wire wool etc before but just hadn't got all the entry points and just hadn't been thorough enough. Block Mice used cameras on bendy wires (a technical term!) to check everywhere and filled different holes with all sorts of things - silicone, foam etc. I still occasionally hear a mouse under the floor boards but the buggers can't get in now. Even if poisons etc work (which they didn't for us), it's not getting to the root of the problem, in that more will come back. Apparently pest control companies do sometimes do some proofing but not to this degree, and they don't generally believe that it can be done to such a comprehensive degree. Block mice aren't just like builders though - they are pest experts, so it's combining those 2 aspects. I should do their PR!

I think my fear of mice might stem from the time in my old flat when I cooked one (accidentally!) in my toaster. I couldn't understand why the toaster was smoking when the bread hadn't been in their long enough to burn. I took the break out and there was a mouse behind the grill bit. I'm having palpitations just thinking about it!

LegoWidow Thu 19-Sep-13 19:19:39

"there" not "their" and "bread" not "break". Eek.

Cheesy123 Thu 19-Sep-13 19:25:42

Mine moved all the poison into a slipper!

JustGiveMeFiveMinutes Thu 19-Sep-13 20:17:39

shock at Legowidow's toasted mouse story.

Cocodale Thu 19-Sep-13 20:19:10

Old fashioned traps with peanut butter in, chocolate they can grab and get away peanut butter they have to lick at.

We are surrounded by woodland and always have mice, our rescue cat is the best deterrent.

AmberLeaf Thu 19-Sep-13 20:25:50

Holy crap @ toasted mouse shock

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Thu 19-Sep-13 20:28:39

PIL used a humane trap and we marked the mouse with an ink pen - we caught him 21 times!

I had them in a flat once. Nearly drove me demented with the poo all over the work surfaces every morning. They didn't go near the traps. Then a friend brought her kitten over for two days. It didn't know what to do with the mice & just stared at them, but they disappeared and never came back.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 19-Sep-13 21:00:33

Same old same old: block holes in walls, floorboards; keep house clean of crumbs; put cereals etc. in plastic/out of reach (I hang bags of crisps in a carrier from my ironing board hanging thing confused); use Little Nipper traps (£1.10 round here) and bait with chocolate.... We live in a Victorian terrace and have been told they are inevitable, due to the lofts/under floors. I have also been told that this last year has been very good for mice (and we had an explosion of them). We pulled out everything we could and checked all the skirting and walls. I suspect, due to a neighbour having cats and thus not hole-proofing her house, they might be back, but I was very cheered (although it was a bit grim) to hear one going bonkers behind a skiritng board one night, as it meant they couldn't get out. I think neighbours further down are using poison, as we've had bad smells come up from underneath the floorboards confused.

Our Council comes out free for rats but doesn't come out for mice (though it will provide free poison).

We used flour to see where they went.

iWantChampagneOnColaBudget Thu 19-Sep-13 21:22:21

mum swears by peanuts being mice / rats favourite food, cheese is what cartoon vermin crave,
tomatoes were also dragged across the worktop
shudders

iloveny001 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:52:44

I've just caught one! Used 'the revolver'. It kills them in a contained box so you don't have to see it, and just chuck it out.

SigmundFraude Thu 19-Sep-13 22:00:41

Rentokill or Environmental health. I tried in vain with 'humane' traps, no joy, tried for ages. Environmental health got rid of them within the week. Just don't think about the rotting corpses in your roof space!!

DoItTooJulia Thu 19-Sep-13 22:01:05

If you're serious, you need sticky pads or glue boards. And lots of them. They need to be places in a continuous line across door ways or entry points and around the perimeter of the affected areas.

The best bait is nutty chocolate.

You need to be meticulous with food hygiene. The baby's high hairs could be full of hidden crumbs, which is a mouse banquet. It's really really important that you disinfect it every morning before DC use it for the day.

You need o leave the boards down every night nail you have two fll nights with o catches once you have started catching them. Once you are sure ou have Lear nights, then pest proof. Take a standard girl. If it fits in a gap a mouse will too. Check the doors or gaps underneath them, floorboards, ventilation bricks. A 5 mm mesh will pest proof larger areas or vent bricks.

WARNING mice caught o. Sticky boards aren't happy. They squeal and may try and chew their limbs off to get off. It's not humane at all. But it's effective.

Good luck

Rudejude7 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:01:31

The local council are cheap and can use stronger poison than the stuff you can buy in shops but be warned when they start to die off the smell is AWFUL !!!

iloveny001 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:02:38

Should clarify 'revolver' is the name of the product!

ceeveebee Thu 19-Sep-13 22:03:17

We had a big cheese trap called "killing station" - its a box with a trap inside, small hole for the mouse but too small for my toddlers to hurt themselves. Worked first night within an hour, and we were clear within a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now