Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Seriously, finding things out through FB?

(63 Posts)

Brother is at the hospital after been attacked by someone his room mate knows and I only found out because my brothers friend has taken him and commented on FB about it?!

Its not like my brother doesn't have a phone so he could phone us. His mate we have know n years too.

It was also FB where I found out a relative had died and then when the funeral was. Why cant people just pick up a phone?!

cogitosum Thu 19-Sep-13 10:51:03

When my ds was born dh's niece posted it on fb before I'd had a chance to tell everyone (or post anything myself). It was quite sweet she was so excited but I wasn't pleased as I would've rather told people or announced it myself.

Yanbu

Gin No rage, he wants me to go with him to get his stuff out. Hes gone to the police as I suggested.

Hes only 14 month younger than me and about 1 foot and half taller yet he knows he needs me when shit is going down grin

I'm normally first person he is in touch with when he has a hospital trip.

The relative dying I know that family did it out of spite. I'm no longer counted as part of that family as mum and dad divorced.

Gin No rage, he wants me to go with him to get his stuff out. Hes gone to the police as I suggested.

Hes only 14 month younger than me and about 1 foot and half taller yet he knows he needs me when shit is going down grin

I'm normally first person he is in touch with when he has a hospital trip.

The relative dying I know that family did it out of spite. I'm no longer counted as part of that family as mum and dad divorced.

Phone site is doing the long please wait thing then posting it more than once!

VanitasVanitatum Thu 19-Sep-13 13:42:45

Know how you feel SP, Facebook is a really impersonal way to find out things like that. Hope the situation gets sorted ASAP

SarahBumBarer Thu 19-Sep-13 14:42:27

Yanbu in this specific situation but lots of other posters BU. FB is just how things are done now. Move with the times.

With minor exceptions I'd rather post something on FB (free within my mobile phone dataplan) than text loads of people having to reply individually to them with the same old bloody queries etc. Much easier on FB where everyone can see each others questions/responses etc.

PrincessKitKat Thu 19-Sep-13 16:52:42

Ah, now I have unlimited free texts and only a 1Gb data bundle, which is why I would take the time to personally let people I care about know their close relative was hurt, in trouble or had died.

Whether being U or NU in this situation is clearly dependent on your price plan.

hmm

Isn't 1GB alot? I have 500mb which I think is half of 1GB? I actually have no clue

PrincessKitKat Thu 19-Sep-13 17:30:43

I was just being a cockwomble SP.

I was trying failing to show that I personally felt using the parameters of a phone bundle as your reason for passing on personal news through FB, rather than calling or texting family was a fairly upsetting sign of the times. And not one that I want to 'move with' thanks.

But yes, 1Gb is a lot! I could pass on infinite deaths, births and serious injury posts should the need arise smile

Glad your brother is ok.

Love cockwomble grin

hotritenow Thu 19-Sep-13 17:59:30

We found out my husbands nephew died on FB..and it was our daughter who was in another country who told us....none of my husbands sisters or brother bothered to pick up the phone and tell us....

Dorris83 Thu 19-Sep-13 21:08:09

SIL announced the birth if my DS before we'd even told all of my family... I had literally given birth less than an hour before and MIL had excitedly text all of her closest family members.
I was amazed that she'd done it and set MIL on her grin

It came down within 5 minutes, I don't think anyone important saw it

It is mostly thoughtless action though, rather than spite. She was just excited

YANBU - and don't see why 'thoughtless' counts as an excusable reason either. Admittedly it's a better 'motive' than spite, but still.

Perhaps a posting for 'God and the world' to see is more efficient than individual contacts, but it feels impersonal & gossipy - more a "look at the drama" than anything else. Efficiency is what one should strive for in business, not personal, networks.

Glad he's going to be ok and hope they catch the people who did it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now