Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think I won't bother helping out next time?

(78 Posts)
Pancakesforbreakfast Wed 18-Sep-13 15:52:32

A friend of mine was ill,not seriously so,but enough to make her feel terrible,so yesterday I had her twins overnight,to give her a break,and said I'd take them to school for her.

This morning before taking them to school,I gave them breakfast. Neither wanted the cereal I had,so I made banana pancakes for them,admittedly because I had a craving for them,though I almost never eat breakfast. They had the pancakes with cashew but butter,yogurt and fruit,and ate the lot.

I then took them to school,collected some items from Boots,and dropped them off to my friend. She asked what they'd had for breakfast,and I told her. She was not happy that I'd given them 'sweet foods' for breakfast,instead of their usual Rice Krispies or Cornflakes. She went on about spoiling them,and said next time make sure that they just have cereal. She didn't even say thank you.

AIBU to think that there won't be a next time with that attitude? Or am I just being a grumpy sod?

AveryJessup Fri 20-Sep-13 04:11:16

I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of difference in sweetness content between Rice Krispies and pancakes, to be honest, so I can't see what she's objecting to.

Either way, she should have thanked you for your help regardless of what you fed them for breakfast so you are not being grumpy or unreasonable.

MistressDeeCee Fri 20-Sep-13 02:02:24

ermmm...*next time?!*

If you have her kids over again OP then yes, I will say YABVVVU - to yourself

sandwichyear Fri 20-Sep-13 01:45:32

YADNBU- what an ungrateful cow after you did such a lovely thing?

Btw- are those pancakes American style 'fat' ones or thin crepey ones? They look utterly delicious.

louisea Fri 20-Sep-13 00:22:24

YANBU. Rice Krispies are just air and cornflakes soggy mush. I'd much rather have banana pancakes for brekkie.

ungrateful in the extreme! i'd be indebted to you for eternity if you helped me out like that!

and cornflakes and rice crispies have loads of sugar.

she's a hypocrite. unbelievable.

CbeebiesIsMyLife Thu 19-Sep-13 08:34:09

Woke up thinking about these today! I have 1 banana and 1 egg left so have made some. Not sure why anyone would tell you off for this! They are gorgeous. Thanks or the recipe smile

VanitasVanitatum Wed 18-Sep-13 23:28:48

Thanks for the recipe!

festered Wed 18-Sep-13 23:25:03

YANBU. If somebody does you such a big favour, you should appreciate everything. Pancakes aren't going to kill them and cereal isn't the best choice either as others have said. Even if she DID disapprove, you've done something nice for her , cared about her-she should have thanked you and appreciated the gesture.

WafflyVersatile Wed 18-Sep-13 22:25:36

If I told you I'd had pancakes for breakfast you can very much believe it would not have been healthy! grin

EllesAngel Wed 18-Sep-13 21:52:51

YANBU

Can I come for breakfast? Pretty please smile

WingDefence Wed 18-Sep-13 21:49:01

Ooh thanks for the recipe thanks

hermioneweasley Wed 18-Sep-13 21:47:37

YANBU. You could explain the lack of thank you due to her being fuzzy headed/poorly etc, but to complain about what you fed them for breakfast is just rude. And she's ignorant about food and nutrition.

Moxiegirl Wed 18-Sep-13 21:45:43

Yanbu cheeky cow.

samuraispider Wed 18-Sep-13 21:42:15

I keep saying it but people never cease to amaze me.

I suggest you don't do her any favours again. EVER.

ohmymimi Wed 18-Sep-13 21:41:15

What a great and nutritious breakfast you provided ( and maybe that was what really narked her). But, with the way some cereals are so misleadingly promoted as 'healthy' despite their sugar/salt content, it isn't surprising some people have misconceptions.

WafflyVersatile Wed 18-Sep-13 21:34:20

I would try to be charitable and put her grumpiness down to feeling like crap. It's easy to be grouchy if you feel ill.

Maybe she'll say thank you and maybe even sorry when she feels better.

Or maybe not.

WeAreSix Wed 18-Sep-13 21:34:15

YABU for not cooking pancakes for all of us too!

She was ungrateful and the catchphrase 'Did you mean to be so rude?' would have been appropriate.

bootsycollins Wed 18-Sep-13 21:30:15

I want pancakes! NOW! smile

SeaSickSal Wed 18-Sep-13 21:29:57

Was she still feeling ill?

guiltyconscience Wed 18-Sep-13 21:27:34

Perhaps she was still not feeling very well and she was the grumpy sod.

Alconleigh Wed 18-Sep-13 21:27:04

She'll be one of those morons, and they are legion in this country, who thinks that cereal is healthier than bacon and egg. Or pancakes, more relevantly. Ignore, and don't have her kids again.

SpottyDottie Wed 18-Sep-13 21:25:34

What did you say at the time though, OP? I would have pointed out how much sugar is in breakfast cereal and that you'd given them a more nutritious breakfast. As other posters have said, I would have been bloody grateful to you!

I wouldn't offer again either!!

elcranko Wed 18-Sep-13 21:23:24

YANBU. Ungrateful and rude!

Viking1 Wed 18-Sep-13 21:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Wed 18-Sep-13 21:15:40

YANBU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now