AIBU to think I won't bother helping out next time?

(78 Posts)
Pancakesforbreakfast Wed 18-Sep-13 15:52:32

A friend of mine was ill,not seriously so,but enough to make her feel terrible,so yesterday I had her twins overnight,to give her a break,and said I'd take them to school for her.

This morning before taking them to school,I gave them breakfast. Neither wanted the cereal I had,so I made banana pancakes for them,admittedly because I had a craving for them,though I almost never eat breakfast. They had the pancakes with cashew but butter,yogurt and fruit,and ate the lot.

I then took them to school,collected some items from Boots,and dropped them off to my friend. She asked what they'd had for breakfast,and I told her. She was not happy that I'd given them 'sweet foods' for breakfast,instead of their usual Rice Krispies or Cornflakes. She went on about spoiling them,and said next time make sure that they just have cereal. She didn't even say thank you.

AIBU to think that there won't be a next time with that attitude? Or am I just being a grumpy sod?

SimplyRedHead Wed 18-Sep-13 16:57:20

How do you make banana pancakes? I might try some with my lot later!

StuntGirl Wed 18-Sep-13 16:59:41

If you are willing to have my kids overnight when I am I'll you can feed them ice cream for breakfast if you really want!

This exactly! Bloomin' heck, even if she wasn't ill and you were just having them for the night, unless there's a dietary/allergy issue surely you thank your lucky stars someone else was willing to take your kids for the night and feed them!

Homemade banana pancakes sound delicious, AND have one of your five a day, so she can jog on grin

VanitasVanitatum Wed 18-Sep-13 17:03:08

She's being beyond unreasonable. Recipe please?!

Thepowerof3 Wed 18-Sep-13 17:04:20

Your breakfast sounds gorge, think exeexepat has hit the nail on the head

oldgrandmama Wed 18-Sep-13 17:09:31

Sounds a wonderful start to the day. May I bring my five grandchildren to yours for a sleepover and gorgeous breakfast? grin

CbeebiesIsMyLife Wed 18-Sep-13 17:15:28

If you are willing to have my kids overnight when I am I'll you can feed them ice cream for breakfast if you really want!

This, whole heartidly this!
I'm sorry he didn't say thank you. Maybe her illness is affecting her judgement? Just after I had my youngest baby many many people helped out while I was ill. Looking back I must have come across as an ungrateful cow when in reality I wasn't I just wasn't thinking clearly and often berated myself when I forgot to say thank you or was unintentionally short with someone.

expatinscotland Wed 18-Sep-13 17:17:56

Next time? I'd have told her exactly what SDTG said.

WingDefence Wed 18-Sep-13 17:21:23

Can I have the recipe too please? grin
YANBU

Viewofthehills Wed 18-Sep-13 17:24:44

Perhaps she is kicking herself now for being ungrateful? (she should be)

I'd like the recipe too please!

I would absolutely LOVE a friend like you smile You did nothing wrong, and anyway, cereal is chock full of processed sugar.

Pancakesforbreakfast Wed 18-Sep-13 17:30:17

I can't take any credit for the recipe. All credit goes to A Girl Called Jack. The recipe was the easiest,so I went with that one. I couldn't be bothered faffing around with sugar and melting butter.

I used two bananas,but one is fine. I also added a little vanilla extract,but that 's not a must either if you're putting something on them.

I'm ill at the moment, and if someone offered to look after my DD I would be on my knees with gratitude and showering them with gifts! You are very kind, she's being extremely ungrateful.

SmallBee Wed 18-Sep-13 17:31:55

all I want now are banana pancakes.

Also you're not being unreasonable.

Pancakesforbreakfast Wed 18-Sep-13 17:32:14

Recipe is here.

I didn't add raisins or sultanas because they're the devil's droppings IMHO.

I wonder if she feels a bit shown up? The kids will have loved that breakfast in place of cereal. I'm not knocking cereal btw, mine have it most mornings <lazy>

I didn't add raisins or sultanas because they're the devil's droppings IMHO

My dd would definitely love you, she has the exact same feelings about raisins grin

avolt Wed 18-Sep-13 17:34:50

Maybe she was just feeling ill and spoke without thinking. I'd like to think so anyway.

You are a very good friend.

Blatherskite Wed 18-Sep-13 17:36:42

I'm with WillSingForCake Anyone willing to have just one of my children - never mind twins! - overnight for me while I was ill would be deserving of nothing but my eternal gratitude. Banana pancakes sound like a lovely alternative to sugary cereals.

Hopefully she'll apologise when she's well

DamnBamboo Wed 18-Sep-13 17:37:12

She's an ungrateful cah!

YANBU.

Fling a pancake at her gob if she ever asks for help again

DamnBamboo Wed 18-Sep-13 17:37:38

And she clearly knows fuck all about nutrition either

honeybunny14 Wed 18-Sep-13 17:38:20

She is soooo ungratefull yanbu

Aniseeda Wed 18-Sep-13 17:41:27

YA sooooooooooooooooo NBU!!

If someone had had my lot overnight when they were little and I was ill, I'd have kissed the ground they walked on and they could have given them a bag of sweets and can of coke for breakfast for all I cared!

I'd be buying you a bottle of wine not moaning at you!

Aniseeda Wed 18-Sep-13 17:42:20

Oh and that was a lovely breakfast you gave them. I'd be thrilled if my children ate that grin

Nanny0gg Wed 18-Sep-13 18:55:37

Very rude.

And I think you should point that fact out to her.

Inertia Wed 18-Sep-13 19:12:10

Banana pancakes with yogurt and fruit sounds like a pretty well-balanced breakfast to me. There's plenty of sugar in rice crispies / corn flakes too. I assume there are no allergy issues that could be worrying her?

I think your friend is being pretty ungrateful , and very presumptuous in assuming there will be a next time! you did a kind thing and she's throwing at back at you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now