To be upset by this incident in Sainsburys?

(205 Posts)
FlobberWobber Wed 18-Sep-13 15:25:39

I've just been into Sainsburys with DS (2) who I always put into a trolley seat as it's quicker than him walking. Was in a hurry as didn't want to be late for school run and all the checkouts were busy. I only had 6 small things so I transferred them into a basket with Ds still trolley and went to the basket only aisle which was free. The cashier told me I was cheating, I said I had a basket, she said I should go and use one of the other aisles, I said there were none free and I did have a basket.

She huffed and told me I'd have to move DS out the aisle, which was really wide as the till next to it was closed and no one wax waiting in ours. I moved him to the end of the aisle and came back to my basket. She then pointed out her aisle was only for little bits, I said my basket had 6 small items. I felt quite humiliated by this
point, and annoyed especially
as I spend about £150 a week there!

kali110 Sat 21-Sep-13 11:06:15

Ofcourse they compensated you, its not worth it for them.

nennypops Sat 21-Sep-13 10:16:40

Owlinatree: Have only read to end of p 2 but terrible need to point out that it should be 10 items or fewer, not 10 items or less!!!!

Absolutely. And the fact that Waitrose signs say "10 items are fewer" is just one reason why I love them.

everlong Sat 21-Sep-13 10:12:39

Nice one OP.

FlobberWobber Sat 21-Sep-13 10:04:55

Well I complained and they were very apologetic and have sent me a £10 giftcard. I also phoned them a couple of years ago because I bit into a frozen snail in my salad (shudder), I thought the crunch was a shard of ice (shudder) and they gave me £25. I think they have great customer service, just let down by some staff sometimes as with any business.

LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed Sat 21-Sep-13 07:34:05

I love mumsnet sometimes- so many sensible posts which show understanding towards the needs of parents with young children grin

OP, of course yanbu. envy

diddl Fri 20-Sep-13 08:01:28

But if no one complains, the shit service continues...

Maryz Thu 19-Sep-13 22:55:43

usual - "It's not worth complaining and getting irate over though." Don't be ridiculous, of course it is hmm

[arf]

fingers, toes and everything else crossed MrsDV. Hopefully the money will help him realise that jobs are a good thing. And when he is settled, I'll send ds to you [mutter]

Madeyemoodysmum Thu 19-Sep-13 22:55:19

Was it WGC sainsburys as some of the staff in the are horrid!

BettyandDon Thu 19-Sep-13 22:55:03

OP, exactly this situation happened to me. In a Sainsbury's too. I emailed customer service and complained and they gave me 10 pounds of nectar points and said they would speak to the rude assistant.

OwlinaTree Thu 19-Sep-13 22:52:47

Have only read to end of p 2 but terrible need to point out that it should be 10 items or fewer, not 10 items or less!!!! grin

Sales assistant was BU tho, not you.

campion Thu 19-Sep-13 22:47:18

edam for the record... I reversed my car up to a Tesco petrol pump to make it easier to fill up.Plenty of room for everyone else etc.Put nozzle in tank-nada.Went in pay station as I thought pump not working.
Was told my car was wrong way round and I couldn't have any petrol till I turned it round.Asked him why and when he'd racked his brain long enough said err company policy.
Unimpressed I drove up the road to BP.Had a down on Tesco ever since (me?bear grudges?).

Waitrose suits me fine but dh likes toddling round Sainsburys with a list and so that's fine too...

MrsDeVere Thu 19-Sep-13 22:45:31

Its great innit maryz grin
I hope it all goes ok <fret>

He really wants to work now though so that is a big improvement.

notanyanymore Thu 19-Sep-13 22:33:16

'Mardy' sums it up pretty well!

EugenesAxe Thu 19-Sep-13 22:32:45

Whaaaat? YANBU and I'm surprised at some of the initial responses to be honest. It's not trolley versus basket in consideration of the physical size of them in the aisle, IMO, it's to do with the length of time you will theoretically need to checkout your items.

usualsuspect Thu 19-Sep-13 22:31:39

It's not worth complaining and getting irate over though.

JassyRadlett Thu 19-Sep-13 22:31:02

Christ, I was late to this thread. Oops.

Maryz - would make my blood boil. Against the whole spirit of the thing. Is what's wrong with Britain today, etc etc.

YANBU - the reason that the tills say "baskets only" is either because Sainsbury's was sick of dealing with the "that should say fewer, not less" pedants or because people were having fisticuffs over 11 items.

You had a basket. You had 6 items. I would have complained about her attitude.

usualsuspect Thu 19-Sep-13 22:28:45

The check out woman was a bit mardy.

notanyanymore Thu 19-Sep-13 22:25:46

Who was a bit mardy?

Maryz Thu 19-Sep-13 22:25:32

Oi MrsDV - ds has a job? Wow, good for him, and good for you hanging on in there! Does he get a discount - or it it totally uncool to actually wear anything from next? It would be useful for the little ones though.

MoominsYonisAreScary Thu 19-Sep-13 22:25:14

Utter madness

Does that mean i cant take my double buggy and basket to the basket till? Its just as likely to get in peoples way as a trolley would

kali110 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:24:46

Longer take it.plus people on the floor got all the crap when managers changed layouts and policies. People seemed to forget we had no control over anything!

usualsuspect Thu 19-Sep-13 22:24:13

She was a bit Mardy, but it's no biggie really.

Maryz Thu 19-Sep-13 22:23:58

Here's a question for you all.

Is it cheating to have a full-to-overflowing basket, queue up (and faff around for ages), bag it all up, and then produce a second equally full basket and say it is for your mum?

Two lots of shopping in two baskets paid separately (albeit by the same person) are allowed in the basket queue, are they not?

That's what the woman in front of me did last week. I was furious a tad pissed off.

kali110 Thu 19-Sep-13 22:23:15

Yeh i must be. This is why i gave retail up after a decade, people just seemed to be getting meaner and ruder i coud no l

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now