to ask house viewers to remove shoes before going upstairs?!

(215 Posts)
HollieHelen Wed 18-Sep-13 09:43:36

I am really new to this as have never sold a house before. We are having the first estate agent round today to value our house, and then I want to get it on the market as soon as. Just thinking ahead to viewings ... would it sound awful to ask prospective buyers to take their shoes off before going upstairs?! It's bound to be terrible weather when they view and muddy etc. We have beige carpet ... fairly forgiving but does show marks. As a family we do no shoes upstairs but I know that might not be fair on visitors!!

JanuaryTwenty Fri 20-Sep-13 14:46:46

YANBU, HollieHelen. I used to work in an estate agency, and I lost count of the number of sellers who had their carpets and wooden floors ruined by inconsiderate viewers with muddy/oily shoes or high heels. It's your private space and if someone won't take off their shoes, it's their loss if they are really interested in buying.

Helliebean....you insist on keeping your shoes on. Is your own vanity really more important than respecting someone else's property?

exoticfruits Fri 20-Sep-13 08:35:40

That is my thought geekgal, I would have thought that people would have preferred a pair of clean sandals to bare feet. The majority of people have shoes on bare feet in the summer- women do - if not men.

geekgal Fri 20-Sep-13 07:38:47

I think I would be hesitant to ask people to remove shoes if they have no socks on, I don't even walk around my house with bare feet! And other people's sweaty feet kind of squick me out. But like I said earlier I wouldn't ask anyone to remove their shoes in my house anyway...

exoticfruits Fri 20-Sep-13 07:11:40

I am still smiling at the thought of a New Year's Eve party - all dressed up with slippers!
People still haven't said what they do about bare feet- there seems to be an assumption on socks or tights.

123rd Thu 19-Sep-13 23:51:03

Can honestly say that I have shown 10 lots of viewers round my house in the last week and they have ALL offered to take their shoes off. I haven't asked them - & I wouldn't.

Coconutty Thu 19-Sep-13 19:22:52

When I lived at home, we had a visit from the police about something and my mum even asked them to take their shoes off. I can remember them sitting in the front room with their socked feet.

That did strike me as funny but not odd IYSWIM

exoticfruits Thu 19-Sep-13 19:16:28

All MN has done is get me a bit paranoid and offer to take mine off- so far people have all looked at me as if I was a bit odd!
I don't wear socks between about May and October and I don't carry socks.

Coconutty Thu 19-Sep-13 19:08:31

I would much prefer to keep them on exotic, but have never been asked too.

If I had bare feet it would be weird, so I actually take socks in my bag if I am going to someone's house and am wearing flip flop type shoes!!

exoticfruits Thu 19-Sep-13 19:03:35

I do hope that you keep them on when asked, Coconutty, I would want you to keep them on in my house. No one has answered my question about bare feet.

vix206 Thu 19-Sep-13 18:21:16

Yes I always remove mine and my children's shoes upon entering someone's home. Unless they tell me not to. It would feel very rude to me not to do so.

When people come into my house I tell them not to worry as we have all hard floors downstairs but having had new carpets upstairs if anyone goes up there I do prefer them to take them off. Most people recognise it's a new carpet and do it automatically but I don't mention it if they fail to do so. Our only loo is downstairs so it's rare anyway.

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 18:06:13

But it seems I live in a country where people don't!

diddl Thu 19-Sep-13 18:03:08

"Maybe people should be obliged to have signs on their front doors declaring which camp they reside in."

Not necessary when you live in a country where everyone does the samewink

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 17:54:22

The world definitely seem to fall into two camps, those who think it's exceptionally rude to take your shoes off upon entering someone's home and those who think it's exceptionally rude not to.

Maybe people should be obliged to have signs on their front doors declaring which camp they reside in.

Coconutty Thu 19-Sep-13 17:50:16

I wouldn't dream of going into someone's house and leaving my shoes on, it would be really odd to me and I would feel like I was being exceptionally rude.

NotYoMomma Thu 19-Sep-13 17:34:30

do people really automatically remove shoes in other peoples homes?

I can't understand how people think asking prospective buyers to remove their shoes would NOT colour their first impression.

I would ve in an arsey mood all the way around and God forbid there be ANY mark on the floor.

I would be sure to mention it to dh in earshot

exoticfruits Thu 19-Sep-13 16:55:42

No one has given their views on the barefooted.

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 14:28:25

Tobago they're certainly cheap but I'd debate whether they're 'cheerful'. 'Crime scene chic' I'd call them.

Tobagostreet Thu 19-Sep-13 14:26:50

Couldn't you buy these: www.amazon.com/Vktech-Disposable-Plastic-Cleaning-Overshoe/dp/B00CRYETUO/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1379597118&sr=1-4&keywords=shoe+covers

Cheap and cheerful. I've been in show homes where these appear to be the 'norm'.

wordfactory Thu 19-Sep-13 14:25:45

See now you lot have made me paranoid grin.

I'll be checking for dog shit! I'll be looking under the table to see if anyone is barefoot! I'll be assessing the soft soles of expensive high heels! I'll be asking if anyone is from Sweden!

Floggingmolly Thu 19-Sep-13 14:23:38

Ah... So good I said it twice, apparently blush

Floggingmolly Thu 19-Sep-13 14:22:41

Well if they track in dog shit (and it happens to the best of us, it's not a working class thing at all, more a London thing) you can't say you weren't warned, word wink
I don't even have carpets anymore; still can't stand shoes that have been walking on London pavements on my floors.

HollieHelen Thu 19-Sep-13 14:14:47

Had no idea this would call my class (middle) and regional (northern) identities into question ...

Downstairs we have a tiled hallway and board floors elsewhere - slightly marked by a previous childrens' party guest (mum not child!!) wearing killer heels ;)

wordfactory Thu 19-Sep-13 14:07:50

Well obviously I wouldn't take offence if you slipped off your shoes mother wink...mi casa, tu casa...

motherinferior Thu 19-Sep-13 13:59:47

I would, automatically, WF.

Sometimes I keep my shoes on at parties. Sometimes not. I look pretty nice, actually, I am not some kind of bizarre slob. I just don't like wearing shoes.

HollieHelen Thu 19-Sep-13 13:59:38

So this polemic has definitely made up my mind: I will follow the viewers' lead on this one!! Keen to sell and don't want to alienate any potential buyers.

The agent who visited yesterday to value didn't take his shoes off, and I didn't mention it either! Wanted to punch him for being a patronising misogynist, but that's another post ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now