to ask house viewers to remove shoes before going upstairs?!

(215 Posts)
HollieHelen Wed 18-Sep-13 09:43:36

I am really new to this as have never sold a house before. We are having the first estate agent round today to value our house, and then I want to get it on the market as soon as. Just thinking ahead to viewings ... would it sound awful to ask prospective buyers to take their shoes off before going upstairs?! It's bound to be terrible weather when they view and muddy etc. We have beige carpet ... fairly forgiving but does show marks. As a family we do no shoes upstairs but I know that might not be fair on visitors!!

FatPenguin Wed 18-Sep-13 11:57:25

I don't understand why people get so offended when asked to take their shoes off, especially in this weather. I wouldn't walk around my own home in shoes - my floors are clean and stay clean if people don't wear shoes indoors.
As a pp said, it shows you want to keep the carpets clean which would be a selling point to me.

beginnings Wed 18-Sep-13 12:11:31

I wouldn't object and have always offered when I've been to view houses. We have hard floors downstairs so I don't ever expect people to do so in my house but I do like it if they offer or do it automatically when they go upstairs. I would always go to see a house in decent socks smile

LoopThePoop Wed 18-Sep-13 12:16:39

We've viewed houses that had shoe covers at the front door.
I don't know where they bought them though.

They're those blue plasticky ones. They are a great idea IMO. nice little basket at the door and just pop them over the shoe.

weaselish Wed 18-Sep-13 13:14:55

No problem to ask people to take their shoes off - it would make me feel like the house was well looked after, and indeed when we were looking to buy a house a few years ago, we always offered.

Beccagain Wed 18-Sep-13 13:19:10

I am definitely in the camp of generally thinking that people who ask you to take your shoes off on entering are bonkers at best and inhospitable at worst. HOWEVER............

if I were buying your house I would be impressed that you were so anal meticulous about it and that would probably encourage me to think that it was well kept in other areas too! grin

StuntGirl Wed 18-Sep-13 13:21:56

All these peole getting their knickers in a twist over taking off shoes...you do know these people don't come wth the house, right? grin They won't be there demanding you remove your shoes once it's yours!

HollieHelen Wed 18-Sep-13 13:23:49

Yep, anal fussy and obsessive is right, Beccagain!
I'll see what the agent does when he visits later and ask his views too maybe ...

BrokenSunglasses Wed 18-Sep-13 13:25:54

It will put buyers off, and it's rude anyway.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 18-Sep-13 13:26:22

It would just make me think that the house had those annoying carpets that showed every mark. That would not be a selling point to me.

I wouldn't, I was asked to remove my shoes when viewing a house once. I spent the entire viewing looking at the carpet and grumbling that it wasn't even that new or clean. There was also a truly awkward moment at the end as we all crammed into the hallway to put our shoes back on and the estate agent was left talking to my bottom as I bent over. We did not buy the house.

LeaningTowerOfGaffney Wed 18-Sep-13 13:29:48

I wouldn't mind at all. I usually offer to take off my shoes. And I agree with wishful - it would make me think that the current owners had looked after the house and taken pride in it.

whois Wed 18-Sep-13 13:30:41

I would be happy to take my shoes off. My DO would not be happy, he hates taking of his shoes and putting them back on again, it's a major performance for him. He probably wouldn't bother to look round the house!

Bowlersarm Wed 18-Sep-13 13:31:42

I would find it quite demeaning to be asked.

PeazlyPops Wed 18-Sep-13 13:38:17

YABU. I'd take my shoes off anyway though.

I really don't get why some people are so attached to their shoes, and would be upset if asked to remove them!

ilikemysleep Wed 18-Sep-13 13:55:24

I might feel mildly uncomfortable if I hadn't thought to offer, but am very surprised that people are saying that the fact that the current owner asked them to take their shoes off would prevent them spending a couple of hundred grand on a house that is otherwise just right. I just don't believe that smile

ilikemysleep Wed 18-Sep-13 14:00:10

'Darling, it's in the right location, lovely garden, you could move right in, the bedrooms are good sizes, off road parking, we can afford it...what do you think?'

'I don't know Sweetheart. I felt a bit uncomfortable for a second when the current owner asked us to take our shoes off...'

'Yes, dear, you are absolutely right. Let us never speak of this house again...'

Catsize Wed 18-Sep-13 14:00:21

You're selling the place. Do you really care?

StuntGirl Wed 18-Sep-13 14:19:17

ilikemyseleep grin

LeaningTowerOfGaffney Wed 18-Sep-13 14:19:33

Catsize I think the OP isn't keen on cleaning up after each viewer, which she'll need to do if she wants the house to look nice for other viewers.

ilikemysleep grin

HH personally I wouldn't ask viewers to take their shoes off because it gives the impression that the carpets are really impractical and will show every mark. That's a negative (even though it's not a big deal in the scheme of things for a purchaser to buy new carpets if they want) and it's best to try and avoid negatives as much as possible. I find most people offer to remove their shoes when they come to my home but I usually say it's OK not to; make people as comfortable as possible, just put good doormats at every entrance and deal with the dirt if it happens.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Wed 18-Sep-13 18:00:27

I wouldn't dream of asking ANYONE to take their shoes off when coming into my house. If they leave mud, you clean it.

pinkstinks Wed 18-Sep-13 18:02:06

Do estate agents actually take off their shoes when showing someone around a house? Bizarre. Do phil and Kirsty? Noone has done this or asked to when we have been renting... Also if I took my shoes off I would be so embarrassed by my little cheese boats sad

Coconutty Wed 18-Sep-13 18:03:31

I asked when we sold our last house and would do it again. Sold it quickly so didn't put them off!

exoticfruits Wed 18-Sep-13 18:07:55

Basically you will upset about half the prospective buyers-but funny owners won't put them off if they really want it-so it is up to you.

MrsMook Wed 18-Sep-13 18:08:58

Asking sets an unwelcoming atmosphere which could put people off. When we bought our house, I had baby attached to my chest in a carrier, so it would have been blooming awkward wobbling around on one leg in a narrow hallway. Potential buyers don't tend to come in fresh from yomping in muddy fields.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now