To ask if a school turning its canteen halal of kosher is them imposing a faith on people

(440 Posts)
Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:27:28

I don't know how I feel about this but a Facebook post has really made me think if a school canteen is halal or kosher then isn't it imposing a faith on its pupils? Or is it? I don't know so I defer to the wise ladies of Mumsnet for a decision

Turniptwirl Tue 17-Sep-13 18:28:35

No it's not. Unless its making them take part in an act of worship it's not imposing religion. It's just food!

TheRunawayTrain Tue 17-Sep-13 18:28:36

I don't think so- surely for people of another faith, it will be food just the same, which they can eat just the same? I'm not sure confused

YouTheCat Tue 17-Sep-13 18:29:13

No it's not.

Halal meat isn't going to 'turn kids Muslim' hmm

I'd expect it is just easier that all meat is Halal.

teacherandguideleader Tue 17-Sep-13 18:30:46

It simply speeds up the canteen as no one has to check what meat thy can have and saves the chef cooking two dishes the same with halal and non-halal meat

FreudiansSlipper Tue 17-Sep-13 18:31:28

oh I agree I suddenly started reciting the Koran after eating an Indian takeaway

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:32:03

But what If you opposed to the slaughter of meat in a religious manner and just wanted your child to eat standardly butchered meat (for want of a better way of phrasing it!)

YouTheCat Tue 17-Sep-13 18:33:36

Do you enjoy a takeaway curry OP? hmm

Meat is meat. Halal meat is slaughtered as humanely as any other meat.

FlapJackFlossie Tue 17-Sep-13 18:34:02

If you had any idea of HOW they butcher halal meat, you would object most strongly. It's disgusting and the animal is fully aware and conscious when they slit its throat.

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:34:40

I'm indifferent on the matter and want persuading one way or the other

cantspel Tue 17-Sep-13 18:34:58

No but they should still give the choice.

I wont eat halal meat as i object to the method of killing and the fact that an islamic prayer is said over it. if i go to a country where the meat is going to be halal i go vegetarian so i wouldn't be happy if anywhere be it a school or hospital or mcd's served me halal without telling me.

mrspremise Tue 17-Sep-13 18:35:50

Then you would be a bell-end. If you want to eat meat but have no religious grounds for preferring a method of slaughter, eat it however it's slaughtered or if it's the actual slaughter that's the problem, be a vegetarian instead of a hypocrite

NMercury Tue 17-Sep-13 18:35:50

Perhaps you should be more worried that the animals being served to your DC were killed in barbaric and inhumane manner just to appease a particular sky pixie.
I am no lefty veggie - I am a carnivore and have been in more than one abattoir - but I am rather disturbed by the Halal method of slaughter.

Have a quick google - however, as usual make sure to pay most attention to those sites that are well referenced.

NMercury Tue 17-Sep-13 18:36:41

Perhaps you should be more worried that the animals being served to your DC were killed in barbaric and inhumane manner just to appease a particular sky pixie.
I am no lefty veggie - I am a carnivore and have been in more than one abattoir - but I am rather disturbed by the Halal method of slaughter.

Have a quick google - however, as usual make sure to pay most attention to those sites that are well referenced.

reggiebean Tue 17-Sep-13 18:37:05

I know what you mean, OP... If it's halal, then they would have to have separate meat for those who are Jewish, as Muslims can eat kosher food if necessary, but Jewish people can't eat halal (I think). So I suppose it would be easiest if everything were kosher... But, in most places, kosher food is more expensive than "regular" food, which makes me feel a bit that it's the parent's responsibility to provide food if they eat anything different to a "regular" diet, IYSWIM? Otherwise, I think it could quite easily be interpreted as favouring one religion over another.

timidviper Tue 17-Sep-13 18:37:41

I don't care. I think that, if you eat meat, you have to have an awareness that the animal has to be killed as part of the process.

YouTheCat Tue 17-Sep-13 18:38:20

The animal is not fully aware and concious.

hackmum Tue 17-Sep-13 18:38:28

Sikhs are banned from eating halal meat, so you do have a problem there.

Bonsoir Tue 17-Sep-13 18:39:17

Kosher food tends to be quite unpalatable to those unused to it.

Shallishanti Tue 17-Sep-13 18:39:34

Of course it isn't, what rubbish.
If you are concerned about animal welfare then don't eat meat, or, if that's too challenging, pay the premium for organically reared meat.

Trifle Tue 17-Sep-13 18:42:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LynetteScavo Tue 17-Sep-13 18:42:41

I think if the majority of the school is Muslim, or Jewish it makes sense.

There will always be someone who isn't happy. If I were catering for the school, I would provide what would be acceptable to the majority.

Shallishanti Tue 17-Sep-13 18:42:54

Sikhs are banned from eating halal meat? link please?

actually all these problems would be solved quite brilliantly if all food provided in canteens was veggie, then me and my dcs wouldn't have to be asking what stock was used in the soup and explaing that A FISH IS NOT A VEGETABLE

wouldn't that be much better, OP?

Jolleigh Tue 17-Sep-13 18:43:52

I disagree with the way Halal meat is slaughtered so would have a huge issue with this. I buy a lot of vegetarian options when I eat out specifically for this reason, despite being an enthusiastic carnivore. It's just so rarely the case that I can guarantee a restaurant will serve me 'traditionally slaughtered' meat (wish there was a better phrase) that I'd rather not eat meat I don't know the origin of.

Sad that it's so hard to ascertain.

YANBU

zirca Tue 17-Sep-13 18:45:31

As a member of another faith, I wouldn't feel comfortable eating Halal meat. Imagine the uproar if we asked Muslims to eat Kosher meat? Why should the rest of us not get a choice or have an opinion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now