To speak to the school?

(1003 Posts)
Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 17:47:32

I've just been to collect my son from his school and he's told me that he won't be cast in his school Christmas play but all the other children will.

I am fumming. I am going to go and speak to his teacher first thing tomorrow morning but I am so angry that I can't work out whether I'm being reasonable or not.

merrymouse Thu 19-Sep-13 14:00:37

I don't know what happens in church schools, but I have experience of county/community state schools both now and 30 years ago and Christmas was about as religious as it got in primary school. (not saying christmas wasn't religious, just that there wasnt more religion at other times of year). If you can understand Christmas in a non specific cultural way, I don't understand why the rest of it couldn't be understood in a non specific, 'lets all be nice to each other', 'loving your spin on the old pagan rituals way' too.

I mean this is the c of e we are talking about.

(Unless this is a catholic school, in which case OP should have paid more attention to prospectus)

ilovesooty Thu 19-Sep-13 13:59:37

Filee is coming over as one of those parents who think that teachers should be dealing with each child's problem on an individual basis despite the fact that his stupid mother fucked up in the first place and expected the school to be
mind readers when she changed her instructions to the school.

HangingGardenofBabbysBum Thu 19-Sep-13 13:57:24

No Christmas is not a Christian festival. It is a cultural festival which is why lots of non-Christians celebrate it and why the shops shut and stuff.

That's going in my Smythson engraved Christmas Cards.

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:55:20

Phew!

TSSDNCOP Thu 19-Sep-13 13:54:32

God bless Louise!

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:54:22

End the madness!!!!

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:54:06

Gah

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:53:44

School is entirely inclusive of all children and all religions.

Mum decided to exclude her child

And that's all there is to it!!

Inertia Thu 19-Sep-13 13:53:18

Maybe DS could be the T Rex? That's not really a God part.

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:52:48

Anymore !!

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:52:30

Her

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:52:17

Let

YouTheCat Thu 19-Sep-13 13:52:04

How about stubble? Is that okay?

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:52:04

Don't

Wildmeanfairlyhipkid Thu 19-Sep-13 13:50:41

I love you orchwoid, whoever you are. This was a great thread.

YouTheCat Thu 19-Sep-13 13:50:00

Omg! Wtf? grin

So if he or she didn't have a moustache it would all be fine?

Incredulous - utterly grin

cjel Thu 19-Sep-13 13:48:21

Filee I have to say one more time you are wrong. There could have been no other start to christmas than christ. Other celebrations yes christmas no.
Also find it very presumptious of you to try and tell me your beliefs are fact? they can be no more fact than my beliefs. Talk about trying to indoctrinate.

gordyslovesheep Thu 19-Sep-13 13:47:59

oh this thread is great grin I doubt many pagans would celebrate CHRISTmass really

CHRISTmas is a CHRISTIAN celebration ...the clue is in the name

there are other celebrations around the same time and with similar themes but they aren't the same

Is that hard to grasp????

Orchwoid Thu 19-Sep-13 13:47:50

Christians arent evil but sometimes the vicar comes to school and you cant see his mouth under his mustash but sometimes its a lady vicar.

DropYourSword Thu 19-Sep-13 13:46:27

Ok, I have to hide this thread now. Filee is infuriating me beyond belief!!

TSSDNCOP Thu 19-Sep-13 13:46:06

Filee you've missed your calling in life, you'd be fucking fantastic under torture.

Christians do not live in a vacuum, thus the major events in their calendar will obviously have picked up references to other coinciding cultural celebrations, symbolism and even other religions in the last 2,000 years.

But for the love of the baby Jesus, the birth of Christ is without doubt a religious event observed by those pesky Christians. They get 2 days a year dedicated to their religion which in this country is marked out as 25th December and whatever day Easter Sunday falls upon, and lets not even go there with the almost complete oversight of Good Friday these days.

I doubt any parent would get away with saying "I'm not having my child educated about Diwali" because I don't believe in all that Lakshmi shit" but if they've gone to the trouble of writing that down and evaded arrest it's tough tits if their kid gets benched and they miss out on video camera gold.

Wildmeanfairlyhipkid Thu 19-Sep-13 13:45:14

Exactly, notthe. I'll be telling my school that I don't want religious education, but quite happy to be part of end of term play. Regardless of if its about Asgard, Bethlehem or the dreaming.

nicename Thu 19-Sep-13 13:43:31

This is what happens when you haven't thought out your arguments.

We had some communist kids at school (yes really, Red Clydeside and all that) who were excused from the whole kit n caboodle with regards to religion, not just pick and choose and go to the bits that were fun.

You either want the poor wean to be exposed to the evil Christians or you don't. The nativity is about said evil Christians. Very mixed messages to the child.

Go with your principles by all means but don't sit on the bloody fence or you'll get splinters in your bum.

YouTheCat Thu 19-Sep-13 13:42:55

The child hasn't been excluded from anything at all being as it hasn't happened yet and the OP's ds has been offered the part of shepherd. hmm

notthefirstagainstthewall Thu 19-Sep-13 13:41:01

A nativity has bugger all to teaching a child about the birth of Christ because is all "made up". It's a play for the parents to watch.

This thread is not accepting new messages.