To speak to the school?

(1003 Posts)
Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 17:47:32

I've just been to collect my son from his school and he's told me that he won't be cast in his school Christmas play but all the other children will.

I am fumming. I am going to go and speak to his teacher first thing tomorrow morning but I am so angry that I can't work out whether I'm being reasonable or not.

HooverFairy Tue 17-Sep-13 18:07:24

I'm guessing the lack of respect for the fact it's a religious event may have something to do with it. Have you made any requests for your DS to be removed from collective worship? At my school we would assume that parents who choose not to participate in religious events would also opt out of parts in the Xmas play - with it including religion and all that shit.

Seriously, calm down and speak to the teacher. If you go in all wound up then when there is a real issue they won't take you seriously. Your DS might have got the wrong end of the stick, maybe it's being used as a behaviour thing or something.

Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 18:07:26

He doesn't go to assemblys because I don't want them to teach him about religion or make him be forced to pray or sing any religion songs. But I never said he dcouldn'tt be in the Christmas play because that is a really important part of the school year in my head. I am still fumming that they didn't ask me first and just told him. It is so rude.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:08:27

Ok then. It is your fault he has no part in the religious celebration of Christmas.

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:08:29

Last I checked Christmas was a religious festival

You have removed your child from collective worship of 'God and shit'

You do the maths

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 17-Sep-13 18:08:38

Eh?

If it is a religious play, and you have asked for him not to be in religious activities, then that may be the case.

I am amazed they are even thinking about it yet.

You do come across as rather entitled, by the way. I think you'll find the school can do what they like. And if you came up and spoke to me in the tone you're typing in, I'd make damn sure he never got a speaking part ever.

LookingThroughTheFog Tue 17-Sep-13 18:08:43

I think you're a day ahead to be fuming. First, you need to check whether your son hasn't got the wrong end of the stick. Assuming he hasn't (I suspect he has) you need to find out why.

If you start out fuming before you have all the facts, you're going to do yourself a mischief.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:01

The school is simply complying with your wishes.

MrsOakenshield Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:07

YANBU to speak to the school, but please do so calmly. Sounds like there's been some confusion.

oh, and don't say anything about 'God and shit', you'll be doing him no favours whatsoever.

Sindarella Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:08

That solves it then, you did say he couldnt be in it, its a play but also an assembly

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:39

Ah, crossed posts.

The Christmas play does tend to be a little bit religious, you know. Ours often feature God and all that shit.

Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:41

At Christmas all the family comes round and we have a chicken or a turkey dinner and give all the presents out from Santa Claus.

FannyMcNally Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:43

I love the word fumming! I'm going to try and use it more often.

spiderlight Tue 17-Sep-13 18:09:55

I can virtually guarantee that there will be crosed wires here. Ask his teacher in the morning before you waste any more energy fuming about it. My DS came home one day last year and declared that he was 'Not anything in the Christmas play. Not Joseph OR Mary!' but he was actually one of the narrators. Every child in the Infants had a speaking part. I would be very surprised if (a) the cast had been decided yet and (b) your son had been excluded unless, as mentioned upthread, you have withdrawn him from collective worship and they've assumed that this means withrawal from the play as well.

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:03

I luff Mumsnet grin

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Dominodonkey Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:24

You have get to answer the question. Have you withdrawn him from collective worship? If you have then the school is being entirely reasonable to assume you would not want your child to take part in a nativity.

Buzzardbird Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:25

My spidey senses are detecting some T-Rexing coming on...

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:36

And hymns are a pretty vital part as well.

YouTheCat Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:38

He said that they said that I said that he couldn't be in the play hmm

Wtf?

You have said then - if you have removed him from religious teaching and the Nativity comes under that heading. You can't have it both ways.

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:49

buzzard mine too

SantanaLopez Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:55

So he's right- you did tell the school that he couldn't be in the Christmas play.

TheProsAndConsOfHitchhiking Tue 17-Sep-13 18:10:57

Is Louise the new Sharon?

It sounds like miscommunication, for which you and the school are both partially responsible, Orchwold. I think you need to have a CALM discussion with the school, and make it clear that you are happy for him to be in the Christmas play. It is weeks 'til Christmas - there is plenty of time to rectify the situation, and include him in the play, if you deal with this calmly, politely and quickly.

Yes, go and have a chat with the teacher, and ask her how this situation can be resolved.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Tue 17-Sep-13 18:11:41

Maybe they could do one of those modern nativities - with the T-Rex in it.

Sharon might do the refreshments, if you ask her nicely.

MrsOakenshield Tue 17-Sep-13 18:11:49

ah, just read your last post. So you have withdrawn your child from collective worship, and so unsurprisingly the school, and you son by the sound of it, think you don't want him involved in the Christmas play due to, I have no doubt, the religious aspect of this particular production.

Well, what did you expect? You can't expect the school to second-guess your inconsistencies. Either you don't want him involved in anything of a Christian nature, or you do. Make your mind up.

This thread is not accepting new messages.