To speak to the school?

(1003 Posts)
Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 17:47:32

I've just been to collect my son from his school and he's told me that he won't be cast in his school Christmas play but all the other children will.

I am fumming. I am going to go and speak to his teacher first thing tomorrow morning but I am so angry that I can't work out whether I'm being reasonable or not.

Floggingmolly Tue 17-Sep-13 17:57:36

What do you mean, he didn't say why? Ask him!!!!

Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 17:58:49

He says its because I said he couldn't be in the play but I never said that. The schol haven't got the right to do this to him. . There is nothing wrong with my atitude.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 17:59:21

Have you formally withdrawn him from collective worship?

redskyatnight Tue 17-Sep-13 17:59:35

It's September. Why on earth is the teacher even thinking about casting the Christmas play?

I am sorry you are fuming and their Christmas play is so good. But if you storm in there telling them you don't believe in God and all that shit they are unlikely to take you seriously.

I also seriously, seriously doubt ONLY your ds has no part. So calm down, go in tomorrow and ask, nicely, what the story is.

Then fume to your heart's content if the situation warrants it.

gordyslovesheep Tue 17-Sep-13 18:00:22

maybe he told them he didn't believe in God and all that shit - so they didn't think he would care

redskyatnight Tue 17-Sep-13 18:00:42

Ah ok, so maybe you said to your DS something about "not believing in God and all that shit", he has repeated it to teacher and the teacher has said that children who are not believers don't have to take part in the play?

Floggingmolly Tue 17-Sep-13 18:01:09

Purely on the basis of your posts; they may have felt you might lower the tone if you were part of the audience? Because it's a Christmas play so there's a possibility God and shit might be mentioned?

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:01:10

The school can do what they like.

Your son isn't entitled to a part.

Drop the attitude.

WorraLiberty Tue 17-Sep-13 18:02:31

He says its because I said he couldn't be in the play but I never said that.

Well if he lied to his teacher, why are you cross with the school? confused

Floralnomad Tue 17-Sep-13 18:02:44

YABU and there is a problem with your attitude if the way you react in RL is the same as the way you are reacting on this thread . Simply go in and speak to the teacher in a non confrontational manner .

SantanaLopez Tue 17-Sep-13 18:03:03

grin at 'the right' to be in the Christmas play.

Has he been told he can help behind the scenes/ be in the chorus or something rather than an actual part?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 17-Sep-13 18:03:52

I wouldn't normally be a spelling nazi or whatever, but 'fumming' is delightful because it conjures up such impotent and ham-fisted jumping up and down with rage.

Orchwoid Tue 17-Sep-13 18:04:27

He said that they said that I said that he couldn't be in the play

Souredstones Tue 17-Sep-13 18:05:10

Can you swap him for a westlife cd?

BrokenSunglasses Tue 17-Sep-13 18:05:18

Go for it OP. Go and fumm at the school, and tell then that you were looking forward to watching him because you are quite capable of ignoring all the God Shit.

OldBagWantsNewBag Tue 17-Sep-13 18:05:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soupdragon could be right if you have withdrawn him from assemblies etc then that would include Christmas play - hence teacher saying you have said he can't be in it. It is only Sept so they are hyper organised to be casting already in which case a calm discussion might solve the issue.

FannyMcNally Tue 17-Sep-13 18:06:08

Please go in 'fuming' tomorrow! I'd love to see your face when they say you told him he couldn't be in it!

Groovee Tue 17-Sep-13 18:06:24

I would stop, take a deep breath, and in the morning, go in calm and ask if they can clarify what he has said and if what he has said is true, ask to remove the clause which you may have inadvertedly withdrawn him from. It may be that you have signed a form saying you don't want his photograph taken when you thought it was that it was giving permission for the photograph to be taken. My friend did this without realising and her son was withdrawn from everything without her realising until we did a photo with PTA members children and her son was part of that and the school questioned it.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:06:39

Have you formally withdrawn him from collective worship?

HangingGardenofBabbysBum Tue 17-Sep-13 18:06:53

there Christmas play is supposed to be good even though we don't believe in God and all that shit

So out of idle interest, what exactly do you celebrate at Christmas?

PatriciaHolm Tue 17-Sep-13 18:07:02

Your attitude comes over as very aggressive, and way too ready to fume about something with on the face if it is quite absurd. Go into school and politely ask; say DS said this but you don't think it can be true, can they clarify?

If you barge in shouting the odds no one is going to go out of their way to sort this out.

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 18:07:16

Because if you have, then you have said he can't be in the religious christmas play.

emuloc Tue 17-Sep-13 18:07:23

Oh I see you said he could not be in the play. That explains it then!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.