Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask for the child benefit to be split?

(59 Posts)
marieclare168 Mon 16-Sep-13 22:02:10

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post.

My husband was married previously and has 2 teenagers. He has joint residency and therefore receives child benefit for one of them (their mother gets CB for the other - this arrangement was put in place when they split 8+ years ago).

We now also have 2yo DS together and I have my own CB claim for him. My payments for DS are at the 2nd child rate. DH receives payments at 1st child rate for stepson.

It just occurred to me that this seems unfair and that we really should be pooling the total we both receive from CB and splitting it 50/50 between the 2 children.

Husband cannot see my point of view at all and says it's never going to happen. He says I would be taking money off stepson if we split the funds as his award is for his specific child and my award is separate. My thought is, if my claim were genuinely separate I would be receiving the full amount for our DS but clearly the CB treat us as a household and theoretically assume the 1st/2nd/subsequent amounts are pooled in any household and shared for the benefit of the children.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 17-Sep-13 00:05:37

And the difference is about £6 pw not £3 pw

The eldest child gets 20.30
Subsequent children get 13.40

topicsactiveimon Tue 17-Sep-13 00:12:31

I would have an issue with this if CB was going into a savings acct for the children - clearly they should both get the same amount put in each month. But as you're spending it on them as needed then why even bring this up, unless you feel DS is being done out of something essential that comes to £3.50/week?

You are right, of course, about the non-equitable split. But it amounts to nothing.

Now, do you have another reason to worry that your son is being financially disadvantaged?

topicsactiveimon Tue 17-Sep-13 00:14:19

Sorry, £6/week. YANBU to point this out, but if the rest of the financial arrangement between you and DP is healthy, then I'd let this one slide.

gobbynorthernbird Tue 17-Sep-13 00:49:59

But it's only half of £6 per week. So £3 is the amount being argued over.

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 17-Sep-13 06:17:59

Presumably you've calculated your finances so that each of you contributes equally in your own way. Do you both have equal spending money for yourselves? I disagree that you're being taken for a mug if this is the case.

No idea re: maintenance etc.

Also think yabu for quibbling over £3 a week. If you go out as a family, he pays. Maybe that extra few quid is absorbed there.

iamadoozermum Tue 17-Sep-13 07:30:55

Thing is though, £3 a week comes to £156 a year. That would buy a fair amount of clothes/toys etc.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 17-Sep-13 08:46:50

Topics I didn't think of it like that.

whois Tue 17-Sep-13 09:01:19

I find it ridiculous that maintenance is viewed as a joint family expense but nursery fees aren't. You're being taken for a mug

^This

Seriously, sort it out! Your JOINT child's expenses should be coming out of the family pot. Seriously not on the way things are now and the situation is bigger than the CB split.

apachepony Tue 17-Sep-13 09:42:14

As mentioned above, it is absolutely ludicrous that maintenance for his child with his ex is coming out of the joint household account whereas nursery fees for your joint ds are being paid solely by you. I would be angrier about this than about the child benefit to be honest. I am assuming he would definitely kick off if you raised that issue though for me it would be a fight worth having. Children in a second family are not the sole responsibility of their mother, the father has equal responsibility for both sets of children, for the first family, shared with their mother, for the second family, shared with his partner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now