Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I'm sure I am but it pisses me right off

(118 Posts)
MrsWinklepicker Mon 16-Sep-13 19:34:41

My ILs do not have and have never had a dishwasher. I, on the other hand, would not be without mine. Whenever they come to stay, after having a cup of tea they will go and wash their own cups up, or their bowls after breakfast or whatever. It really gets on my tits. I have a cocking dishwasher, it's going to be turned on anyway to wash up my bowl which you haven't touched, so why wouldn't you just put your things in there. Or, better still, stay out of my kitchen.
aibu to feel a bit stabby?

Pinkpinot Tue 17-Sep-13 14:13:02

My mil will keep and wash one cup
My parents have so many cups of tea that I run out of cups, so sometimes is rather they washed up

SybilRamkin Tue 17-Sep-13 14:07:59

My MIL actually washes dishes before putting them in the dishwasher! It drives me bonkers! Do one or the other but there's no need for both! I think she's taken pre-wash rinsing to the extreme.

I know it's totally none of my business how she conducts her kitchen life, but it still gives me the unreasonable rage!

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Tue 17-Sep-13 11:44:30

Ok.... Now I really want one

MrsBW Italy Tue 17-Sep-13 07:59:58

Inspace... I get what you're saying about cost of elec and dishwasher tabs.

Tabs always on offer though ... Just bulk bought 200 on Groupon for £20

The dishwasher is A+++ (i think) rating, so not worried about elec.

The time it saves is ridiculous. Only bought it 2 months so and it's changed my life.

MrsBW Italy Tue 17-Sep-13 07:57:08

The Eco mode on our dishwasher uses 6L per cycle... Less than a washing up bowl

I get stabby when DH washes things by hand... Total waste of water.

MrsHoratioNelson Tue 17-Sep-13 07:53:01

Glad to hear it InSpace

My work here is done <accepts fiver from the British Dishwasher Council>

grin

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 16-Sep-13 22:37:00

Jesus, really? You need something more in your life

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 16-Sep-13 22:29:29

We call ours the Dirty Cupboard.

It's a small one, nine settings rather than 12. DP doesn't fully understand how to load it despite being shown a dozen times and sometimes if I'm back late and he's done tea, I find he's helpfully decided to make a start on the washing up. He will have done the glasses, mugs and plates and left them to airdry, leaving the pots, baking trays etc nicely congealing in cooling greasy water. And because he's fifty-something and needs reading glasses for close work, but doesn't put them on to wash up, the plates and glasses are still actually dirty.

Using the principle of pick your battles I've currently given up on this one... I have nearly trained him to sort the recycling properly, it's only taken a year and a half.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 16-Sep-13 22:16:51

Well mrshoratio you've very nearly convinced me. Now, what can I chuck out so I've got room for a dishwasher.....

Gossipmonster Mon 16-Sep-13 22:15:20

Only on MN - five pages discussing washing up grin

MrsHoratioNelson Mon 16-Sep-13 22:10:45

Well we'll have to disagree. I'm glad you rinse when waking up, DH doesn't when he does the nice glasses that are too tall for the dishwasher and it drives me mad.

I don't rinse before loading the dishwasher and everything comes out clean. Dishwashers rinse before they start the main cycle anyway, so there's no need.

FixItUpChappie Mon 16-Sep-13 22:09:40

I can't be arsed to looked at the whole thread but YABU. My stay with us for long periods of time (problem a) and just hoist their dishes on the counter without so much as rinsing them off (we have a dishwasher too). I'd much rather they cleaned up after themselves.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 16-Sep-13 22:09:11

usualsuspect grin

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 16-Sep-13 22:06:49

mrshoratio of course I see what you're saying- but I use only one nearly full bowl of very hot water for most meals, with about 2 litres of water in the half bowl for rinsing. For a huge amount of washing up I change the water and use another half bowl. And my dishes are perfectly clean. And I don't have to buy expensive dishwasher tablets and spend extra money on electricity to run it. And! If you don't rinse stuff before putting it in the dishwasher [using more water] you end up with welded on crap all over everything. Bleugh

MmmmWhiteWine Mon 16-Sep-13 22:05:42

Only on MN could a MIL washing their own cup up be called smug

This!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackeyedSusan England Mon 16-Sep-13 22:01:39

i do not have a dishwasher. i would be ecstatic to leave my mucky pots in one where I was visiting. guilt free mucky pots.

oh and I do think running dishwasaher is extravagant nad mybe not so environmentally friendly, (well, I have to console myself somehow) but using extra water to hand wash pots when you are going to wash them anyway would be worse.

ydnbu

MacaYoniandCheese Mon 16-Sep-13 21:57:32

Think you are being U. Lots of people don't have dishwashers and/or view running them as extravagant. It is also a well known fact that dishwasher owners are very particular about the way dishes are pre-treated and loaded <looks around accusingly and at self in mirror>. I think they are trying but failing to be helpful.

Slightly irrelevant story: I've had dishwashers my entire adult life (so I know how to use one, fgs) but this summer we rented a cottage with one in and we broke it because we weren't familiar with the controls of this particular model blush. Am now slightly wary of all unfamiliar dishwashers

usualsuspect Mon 16-Sep-13 21:53:07

Competitive washing up grin

Loving the PA 'you do rinse don't you'

MrsHoratioNelson Mon 16-Sep-13 21:47:07

I'm not suggesting that washing up by hand is unhygienic. I'm saying that its not a fair comparison. You can't do the washing up of a fully loaded dishwasher (especially taking into account a change of water eventually, rinsing - you do rinse, don't you??) with one bowl of water.

RobotHamster Mon 16-Sep-13 21:46:01

Why are washing up bowls filthy confused

themummyonthebus Mon 16-Sep-13 21:45:05

I taught my parents how to stack the dishwasher. It's backfired though as every time I put it on they manage to open it halfway through the cycle to put in another teaspoon, but not notice everything is dripping and steam is coming out so don't restart it.

So we get up to a dishwasher full of dirty plates and pans and end up having to do the washing up by hand so we've got something clean to eat breakfast out of.

<<stab stab>>

Tilly333 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:43:01

Not just mine then .... and WHY WHY WHY (whilst we're at it) do they put the 'odd' knife or teaspoon in the empty washing up bowl!!! I have to retrieve it and put it in the washer (and touch the odd 1/4 inch cold water) ugh ugh! WTF!!!

pixiegumboot Mon 16-Sep-13 21:40:40

what's with a washing up bowl? filthy things, just fill the sink with water. and while you're there clean the bloody tea cups properly in HOT water so the stains come off fgs!

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 16-Sep-13 21:39:16

YANBU - my in laws also do this, yet they have a dishwasher so should know the rules! I know it's totally irrational but I have a little rant under my breath every time I find the "helpful" washing up they've done and left for me to put away.

sherbetpips Mon 16-Sep-13 21:32:07

Tops not tips, could have been worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now