Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I'm sure I am but it pisses me right off

(118 Posts)
MrsWinklepicker Mon 16-Sep-13 19:34:41

My ILs do not have and have never had a dishwasher. I, on the other hand, would not be without mine. Whenever they come to stay, after having a cup of tea they will go and wash their own cups up, or their bowls after breakfast or whatever. It really gets on my tits. I have a cocking dishwasher, it's going to be turned on anyway to wash up my bowl which you haven't touched, so why wouldn't you just put your things in there. Or, better still, stay out of my kitchen.
aibu to feel a bit stabby?

daftdame Mon 16-Sep-13 19:53:46

InSpace Nothing...in theory....

MisselthwaiteManor Mon 16-Sep-13 19:54:01

I think you're being weird, but going by this thread it seems owning a dishwasher does that to a person. grin I wash up in the sink, I do the rinse, I also leave things to soak. In my own kitchen though.

miffybun73 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:54:06

YANBU, MIL does this and it drives me crazy.

Chusband Mon 16-Sep-13 19:54:46

But people who are not familiar with dishwashers are going to be reluctant to touch them. They don't know how it works. They don't know where the cups go and what goes in what rack. They don't know how to open the door.They don't know if what's already in there is waiting to be washed or is clean and needs to be unloaded. They don't know how full is too full.

<wrings hands anxiously>

MrsOakenshield Mon 16-Sep-13 19:56:04

to be fair - they are trying to be helpful! I think you are perhaps a touch U. Just a wee bit.

usualsuspect Mon 16-Sep-13 19:56:24

Would you run a dishwasher with just a few things in it then?

MrsOakenshield Mon 16-Sep-13 19:56:53

Chusband you are so right. There is a dishwasher at work, I don't go anywhere near it. Wash my own mug and stay well away from it.

picnicbasketcase Mon 16-Sep-13 19:57:04

My ILs have a dishwasher, know that we have a dishwasher, and still do this anyway. Have a cup of tea, wash the cup. Cup gets left on draining board. Me or DH come along to load the dishwasher and are so used to just gathering up anything left around the sink area that clan cup gets put in anyway. Waste of water and washing up liquid really.

picnicbasketcase Mon 16-Sep-13 19:59:20

^ Clean cup. We don't have a clan cup.

EverythingIsSoThrowback Mon 16-Sep-13 19:59:34

I know it'd be easier, but I, personally, have a problem with dishwashers.. I prefer doing things by hand.

DuchessFanny Mon 16-Sep-13 20:00:15

My ILs do this too, I don't know why it makes me grit my teeth and mumble under my breath, but it does -- drives me crackers !!

IcedTeaOneSugar Mon 16-Sep-13 20:00:41

My ILs have a dishwasher (we don't) but rinse everything before it goes in, and then run it on a rinse cycle before adding any glass wear and then finally putting the damn thing on.

TBH you could wash, dry an put away in less time.

Apparently this is all essential otherwise the glasses go "milky" this was blamed on BIL until recently for drinking milk in glasses, but the blame has now shifted to the dishwasher.

I'm convinced they don't actually know how to use it properly, but I know better than to get involved.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 16-Sep-13 20:00:41

My ILs and my mum do this. Its just their generation I think. Like someone above said, if this is your only gripe about your ILs then you are very lucky indeed.

daftdame Mon 16-Sep-13 20:00:48

grin I got used to a dishwasher then moved back home when my parents did not have one. I chucked my cup under the sink a couple of times. Just shows what habits can do to you.

NellysKnickers Mon 16-Sep-13 20:01:01

MIL does this too, bless her, we just take the things she's rinsed off the drainer and pop them in the dishwasher, its a bit annoying but not worth the stress.

BinarySolo Mon 16-Sep-13 20:01:10

I do this at my il. They have a dishwasher we don't. I'm trying to help so I do the washing up. I'm probably making mil stabby in the process.

bellablot Mon 16-Sep-13 20:02:04

At least they fecking wash up! I have people come who leave their dirty crockery in the sink angry

YANBU

SPBisResisting Mon 16-Sep-13 20:03:28

We have a draining board. Since the dawn of time, it has been used to ALLOW CLEAN STUFF TO DRAIN. So why do my ILs insist on putting their dirty cups and spoons on it, rather than on the other side of the sink where stuff gets piled up before it goes in the dishwasher. Sometimes they even move some clean, draining stuff out of the way to do this. I don't get it - do they not see it? Do they see it but feel their way is so much more right?

usualsuspect Mon 16-Sep-13 20:03:48

Why would you wash them again?

MrsOakenshield Mon 16-Sep-13 20:04:33

my mum has a dishwasher but she insists on soaking everything in the washing up bowl first. It has backfired on her though, as it annoys my sister and I so much that we now don't bother helping clear up after a meal.
Wow, just typing that makes me feel stabby.

FriskyHenderson Mon 16-Sep-13 20:04:41

DH puts things in the sink, when the dishwasher is on. Why? Put them on top of the dishwasher ready to go in it, therefore not getting the stuff wet and causing extra bending/carrying of/for the dishwasher-filler

Shutupanddrive Mon 16-Sep-13 20:06:08

Really? They are just trying to help surely? I think your overreacting

whois Mon 16-Sep-13 20:09:20

You lot are mad!!! Dishwashers use 10 times as much water, electricity, loads of detergent, salt and god knows what. What's wrong with washing up by hand??

Bull shit. Use google. They actually use less water and power.

gordyslovesheep Mon 16-Sep-13 20:11:29

I would do this - because I don't have a dishwasher and so am not used to them (I dislike them with a passion) I wouldn't do it to piss you off - I'd think I was being hepful

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:13

I think having a dishwasher does something strange to your brain. Everyone I know who owns one is weirdly anal about it- must be stacked a certain way, can't let anyone else do it, etc etc. Wheras I don't have one, and feel very relaxed about washing up. I don't like doing any, but hey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now