Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be furious that my daughter's school thinks educating her includes...

(159 Posts)

Taking YRs 7-11 off timetable for a day next month.....

sending them on a 10 mile walk..................

for which they will need to be sponsored by us..........

TO PAY FOR A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING!

So my two daughters lose a day's school which my Yr 11 daughter, already stressed to the max by all her A* targets (thanks school), can ill afford and I'm supposed to pay actual cash for this?

Is it me or is this absolutely unreasonable?

Latara Thu 26-Sep-13 22:14:10

YANBU. The govt should be paying for new school buildings!

cinnamontoast Thu 26-Sep-13 21:13:17

Totally with you on this, northernlurker. My DS's school sends them off on a 10-mile walk every year to raise money for the school. It was hell for my Aspergery, rather slow, non-sporty DS, who would frankly have preferred just about any other method of raising money. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for their zero-tolerance attitude to parents taking children out of school in term time. One rule for them, another for us ...

PeppiNephrine Thu 26-Sep-13 19:49:30

If shes that stressed surely an enforced day off with a nice walk is a good thing?
As for 5£ and you think they've a cheek asking for more...ha! Try giving 200€ per child as a voluntary contribution and still having to pay for books, copies, arts supplies etc.....

Yes it's a much better plan. Kind of chuffed that I wasn't the only parent reacting badly. I hadn't even got round to complaining to the school yet. Only vented on here grin

RoonilWazlibWuvsHermyown Thu 26-Sep-13 19:39:34

Wahey! grin End of June will be nicer weather too so win win!

Tinlegs Thu 26-Sep-13 19:28:45

This is not a "day off" as, presumably, the whole school is going. She will not be missing lessons (as she would on a term time holiday) as no lessons will be taking place.

We do a whole school walk every year (in June) and the kids, parents, community etc love it. Fund raising is not compulsory but what is raised is very welcome.

Update.....letter today notes that Year 11 have exams in November and says that 'several parents' have voiced concerns (think most of Year 11 parents have written in saying they will not give permission) and therefore it's postponed till the end of June. Hurrah grin

StickEmUp Tue 17-Sep-13 19:39:56

YANBU. This sounds like total bollocks to me. The school I mean.
Education is meant to be state provided not building school buildings on the sweat of former pupils.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Sep-13 19:28:52

They could still make a contribution to society in another way that doesn't involve a day away from school though

Adviceisfree Tue 17-Sep-13 19:10:08

Educationally speaking, it will be covered under Citizenship so is actually educational!!!!

Just suck it up and let them learn the value of their contribution to society.

Although, i guess if your Yr 11 will not reap the rewards next year I can see why she would be stressed!

I have to say I am little bit confused the idea that one 10 mile trek will reduce her stress levels. Not really that simple tbh. If an adult asked for help with work related stress on here yes regular exercise would be suggested to help but not as a cure all. She does swim regulalrly and am encouraging her to do more btw.

mumeeee Tue 17-Sep-13 18:29:58

mummymeister I don't mean that all teenagers should be made to. go on long walks especially if there is a good reason not to, I was talking in general. The OP didn't say her DD was unable to do the walk and said she was stressed. with het year 11 work. I was just saying that doing this walk might helo her be less stressed

SirChenjin Tue 17-Sep-13 17:37:16

Yep, kids tend to have a great time whenever they get together with their friends - but I wonder if the school would be quite so enthusiastic about them all getting together and announcing that they were doing a sponsored walk in aid of the local hospice or whatever, and so would be taking the day off school just before their exams - or would the school take a less than enthusiastic view of their plans?

I'm guessing the latter.

Buggedoff Tue 17-Sep-13 17:24:06

NL, you are one of my favourite posters on MN. I never disagree with you, but I'm afraid YAB a teensy bit U. Sorry.

I hope your children enjoy their day of hiking. Even if they personally do not manage to raise any cash, they will have a great day with their friends. They will be out in the fresh air. They can moan together about their blisters and come home with the satisfaction that they have accomplished something.

SunshineMMum Tue 17-Sep-13 16:58:57

YABU.

curlew Tue 17-Sep-13 16:56:59

I am soooo glad that both my childrens' schools seem to have a slightly broader interpretation of "education" than many on here. Still not broad enough, obviously, but at leas broader than some!

YANBU imo such an activity should be voluntary and done after school or at weekend, raising money for the school is not part of the curriculum. I have no problem with it being done but not in school time. Like others have said, if you wanted to fund raise for a charity outside school would she be allowed a day out to do a walk or other event? nope wrong on many levels for me at this stage of education. younger ok but not when exam pressure is looming. hope she is getting some support in learning good revision / studying techniques it made all the difference for my DS with AS levels as it hit him hard how difficult they were compared to GCSE and he went into a bit of a stressy meltdown.... once he had the techniques he relaxed a bit and it changed his outlook a lot. good luck.

Ireallymustbemad Tue 17-Sep-13 16:28:26

Back to the OP - YANBU to be not too keen on the idea, YABU to waste so much energy being 'furious' about it.

mummymeister Tue 17-Sep-13 16:20:46

it might de stress you mumeee but it would have completely the opposite effect on me. it also assumes that you aren't fat, asthmatic and out of condition (all 3 of which I am) 10 mile runs, cross country and the like was just another reason for me to feel crap about myself as a teenager. many will be in my shoes I would think.

mumeeee Tue 17-Sep-13 15:24:49

YABU it"s one day off timetable and a 10 mile walk. EXercise actually de stresses you.

mummymeister Tue 17-Sep-13 15:24:05

well said specialsubject. if they want to take a day out doing something to raise money why don't they also do something that supports their local community. hadn't even thought of that. now hoping that my DC's school suggest a sponsored walk so that I can counter it with this!! agree with posters who think giving a reward to the kid with the richest family and friends oops sorry that should read the kid who raises the most sponsorship money is terribly wrong. OP you say "will need to be sponsored" have they actually said she cant put in a sheet with nothing on it?

specialsubject Tue 17-Sep-13 14:50:54

it teaches the lesson to ask to be sponsored for doing something that most people would do anyway, i.e. exercise.

sponsored helping in a care home? Sponsored litter pick? Sponsored sorting out garden for someone who can't? Sponsored doing something else useful?

funny these never come up.

theodorakisses Tue 17-Sep-13 14:47:02

Oh golly, not a whole day off school! Think of the affect this will have on their education. Call the village elders, summon the army, in years to come the universities will be empty because a bunch of kids had a day off to do something worthy.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Sep-13 13:38:21

Good point oilidus

olidusUrsus Tue 17-Sep-13 13:15:37

What is the educational aspect of walking along side a ditch of water for 10 miles I have missed?

I agree it would be great if they were taught how to actively de-stress, but I don't think a sponsored 10 mile walk with your mates is the way to do it. They'll have fun yeah, but de-stress?

Would be ace if they could get a therapist/art-/drama-therapist into the school for a session to learn proper de-stressing techniques though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now