to be furious that my daughter's school thinks educating her includes...

(159 Posts)

Taking YRs 7-11 off timetable for a day next month.....

sending them on a 10 mile walk..................

for which they will need to be sponsored by us..........

TO PAY FOR A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING!

So my two daughters lose a day's school which my Yr 11 daughter, already stressed to the max by all her A* targets (thanks school), can ill afford and I'm supposed to pay actual cash for this?

Is it me or is this absolutely unreasonable?

SirChenjin Tue 17-Sep-13 19:28:52

They could still make a contribution to society in another way that doesn't involve a day away from school though

StickEmUp Tue 17-Sep-13 19:39:56

YANBU. This sounds like total bollocks to me. The school I mean.
Education is meant to be state provided not building school buildings on the sweat of former pupils.

Update.....letter today notes that Year 11 have exams in November and says that 'several parents' have voiced concerns (think most of Year 11 parents have written in saying they will not give permission) and therefore it's postponed till the end of June. Hurrah grin

Tinlegs Thu 26-Sep-13 19:28:45

This is not a "day off" as, presumably, the whole school is going. She will not be missing lessons (as she would on a term time holiday) as no lessons will be taking place.

We do a whole school walk every year (in June) and the kids, parents, community etc love it. Fund raising is not compulsory but what is raised is very welcome.

RoonilWazlibWuvsHermyown Thu 26-Sep-13 19:39:34

Wahey! grin End of June will be nicer weather too so win win!

Yes it's a much better plan. Kind of chuffed that I wasn't the only parent reacting badly. I hadn't even got round to complaining to the school yet. Only vented on here grin

PeppiNephrine Thu 26-Sep-13 19:49:30

If shes that stressed surely an enforced day off with a nice walk is a good thing?
As for 5£ and you think they've a cheek asking for more...ha! Try giving 200€ per child as a voluntary contribution and still having to pay for books, copies, arts supplies etc.....

cinnamontoast Thu 26-Sep-13 21:13:17

Totally with you on this, northernlurker. My DS's school sends them off on a 10-mile walk every year to raise money for the school. It was hell for my Aspergery, rather slow, non-sporty DS, who would frankly have preferred just about any other method of raising money. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for their zero-tolerance attitude to parents taking children out of school in term time. One rule for them, another for us ...

Latara Thu 26-Sep-13 22:14:10

YANBU. The govt should be paying for new school buildings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now