to be furious that my daughter's school thinks educating her includes...

(159 Posts)

Taking YRs 7-11 off timetable for a day next month.....

sending them on a 10 mile walk..................

for which they will need to be sponsored by us..........

TO PAY FOR A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING!

So my two daughters lose a day's school which my Yr 11 daughter, already stressed to the max by all her A* targets (thanks school), can ill afford and I'm supposed to pay actual cash for this?

Is it me or is this absolutely unreasonable?

NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 19:21:53

you need to address your dd's stress and anxiety levels asap

speaking as someone with an anxiety disorder

your 'education in how shit you think it is' will NOT Be helping

I honestly have no ambitions for my dd's GCSE grades. I don't give two hoots whether she gets the A*s or not. I just want her all in one piece at the end of the year. What does gall though is that the school place a lot of emphasis on this and then turn the playing field over when it suits their pockets -which they shouldn't have to be responsible for anyway.

McNewPants2013 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:25:39

Tbh I do think its a rubbish idea.

A school dance with ticket prices around £5 per person would have the same effect of raising money and actually fun for the children. This also could be done on a Friday evening.

itsametaphordaddy Mon 16-Sep-13 19:25:50

I used to work at a school that got a new build. Unforeseen circumstances meant they overspent by tens of thousands. We were left without paper, no photocopier, no pens etc. Teachers ended up buying them for their classes. Wish that school had the common sense to do a sponsored walk.

noblegiraffe Mon 16-Sep-13 19:25:53

If you want a new school building they can always allow themselves to be taken over by some weird religious academy chain with pots of cash. Would that suit you better?

Bowlersarm Mon 16-Sep-13 19:26:33

I note your views but I maintain IANBU!

I like your style OP grin

itsametaphordaddy Mon 16-Sep-13 19:27:27

Mcnewpants. Would you expect the teachers to give up their Friday night to supervise the dance? We do that enough for residentials, clubs, Xmas parties etc

TheLightPassenger Mon 16-Sep-13 19:29:25

agree completely with k8. yanbu. 10 mile walk - fine. for a good charitable cause - fine. for school buildings that our taxes/vat ought to be paying for - not fine. prize for raising most sponsor money - a bit dodgy.

Notyo - firstly my tongue was somewhat in my cheek in that post and secondly, yes of course I am aware of that but as I'm sure you understand I can't wave a maternal wand and make it better. Going on past experience with the school the teachers who are losing lesson time in this week will tell the class to cover x,y and z before the next lesson. This isn't a 'day off'. The work will still have to be done but at home - meanwhile she spends school time raising money.

HopeS01 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:30:04

YA*N*BU, this kind of activity should be optional!

ukatlast Mon 16-Sep-13 19:30:59

YABa bit U my son's school does this once a year - half the money raised goes to charity and half to the school.
It is much better to get this out of the way with a single event rather than be constantly doing fundraising during the year. That schools should have to raise funds as State schools is a whole other issue but I prefer that my child gets resources than goes without.
Physical fitness is part of the curriculum surely? They get the rest of the day off after they have finished as well which is a good motivator.
If she would rather be revising for exams, you could give her a 'mental health' day I suppose.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Sep-13 19:32:02

YANBU

I'm sure that if the parents and the school put their collective heads together they will be able to come up with a way of raising funds which does not involved children missing a day of their education. If I'm not allowed to take the DCs out of school because it's disruptive and neglects their educational progress then it works the other way round afaic.

ukatlast Mon 16-Sep-13 19:32:57

YANBU re 'new school building' being the target - that is not for parents to pay for. It would take far too many sponsored walks I feel. Interactive whiteboards and new lockers are more appropriate uses.

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Mon 16-Sep-13 19:33:44

YANBU

The activity has no purpose or merit other than to raise money. Given the view of the present government that even to miss one day if school there has to be exceptional circumstances I cannot see how Mr Gove would approve of such a thing.

If she wanted to do it I would let her. If not I'd keep her home.

I would feel just as annoyed as you do.

vj32 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:33:46

I agree its lame and badly thought through.

If they need to raise money for a school building they should get the kids to arrange events to fundraise. It could even be related to the contents of the new building. Then the group managing it do get an educational experience.

No way would any school I've worked at take all kids off timetable for a sponsored walk to get the school funds. But then they were both city schools, so despite being about to fall down they didn't have a load of rich parents who they could just ask to pay via 'sponsorship'.

SirChenjin Mon 16-Sep-13 19:35:47

Our primary school raised funds for a new gym hall over many months, with lots of different activities (none of which involved taking the children out of school). It's perfectly possible.

NotYoMomma Mon 16-Sep-13 19:35:50

I see a lot of myself in your dd (although mine hit in later life) which is why I posted.

I know my mum and dh tried loads to help but often it adds to the stress especially if you let your feeling rage (I can only advise keep it on MN for the time being)

I would totally recommend breathing exercises and meditation. (seriously not taking Mick) as it really helped me take 30 minutes, calm down and then crack on. I got a lot more done in tge end once I reigned it in.

Is it optional? what work will they be missing? is it coursework already set or revision, or New topics?

ihearsounds Mon 16-Sep-13 19:38:02

She needs to talk to the school about the stress. She shouldn't be stressing this much, even with the imminent mocks. A day off from school will do her good. She can walk and have a laugh with her mates at the same time. She gets to relax, and have her mind on something else... Don't see the problem myself.

As for the school building. I could be like when ours was designed 15 years ago. Plans were revised when the LA decided to go ahead with the build. Obviousy things had gone up over the years. But someone from the LA in their infinite wisdom decided that the 10 years between the first plan and the go ahead, the price hadn't increased that much so awarded less than was needed.... So a lot of frantic fundraising followed to get the build completed. Never mind the ongoing fund raising 4 years later to actually get the equipment in rooms that they were built for lol.

This is not a regular thing btw. This is a one off, they've never done this before.

topicsactiveimon Mon 16-Sep-13 19:39:44

I do find the near-universal YABU amusing. If you'd asked to take DD out for a day at the Natural History Museum, you would have been raked over the coals by at least 50% of posters. But to walk 10 miles along a muddy ditch for questionable goal... that's a valid reason for a day off lessons. grin

That said, the muddy ditch walk won't do her any harm.

McNewPants2013 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:41:44

Could get in parental help with the disco along with teachers who do want to help.

The teachers will be using the nee school for a lot longer than the current pupils.

Indeed topics grin

Remotecontrolduck Mon 16-Sep-13 19:46:47

She shouldn't be this stressed poor thing, it's going to get much worse so try help her out with that

YANBU though, I don't think it's a very good idea. You're right, they're putting pressure on you to give money you might not have, to pay for a new building. Are they really taking ALL of 7-11 on this walk? That's going to take a hell of a lot of supervision isn't it. Not everyone's going to be a fast walker either.

BrokenSunglasses Mon 16-Sep-13 19:50:48

YABU.

I think it's good to let children know tht there schools and education cost a lot of money, and I think it's a good thing o get them involved in it.

Flibbedyjibbet Mon 16-Sep-13 19:56:05

Eeh you sound like a right laugh. Bet you don't get invited on many 10 mile walks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now