to be furious that my daughter's school thinks educating her includes...

(159 Posts)

Taking YRs 7-11 off timetable for a day next month.....

sending them on a 10 mile walk..................

for which they will need to be sponsored by us..........

TO PAY FOR A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING!

So my two daughters lose a day's school which my Yr 11 daughter, already stressed to the max by all her A* targets (thanks school), can ill afford and I'm supposed to pay actual cash for this?

Is it me or is this absolutely unreasonable?

SantanaLopez Mon 16-Sep-13 18:49:21

If she can't miss one day you've got much bigger problems.

Calm self.

No trips to theme parks here and sports day only goes up to Yr 9. It was a day off timetable working as a team and trying to excel. That's fine, as is the 2 weeks off timetable she's had at the end of the summer term to work on costume for the school play. Again she's been excelling at a skill. This on the other hand is the wrong time of year, the wrong activity and for the wrong purpose.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 16-Sep-13 18:53:21

Well I agree with you on the state education / levy on parents point. The expectation that parents fund fundamental things like school buildings basically gives advantaged schools in advantaged areas even more privileges. What about children in deprived areas whose parents have no money to donate? Do they sit in the open air?

But i don't think the walk itself is that bad - it shouldn't take a day though? 3 hours max surely?

HesterShaw Mon 16-Sep-13 18:54:07

A 10 mile walk would do the majority of teenagers good particularly if it's raining.

Bet no one will moan at the resulting improved facilities.

MrsOakenshield Mon 16-Sep-13 18:56:05

it's not a levy on parents, though, is it, as no parent is actually obliged to sponsor anyone. Your DD doesn't have to partake and you don't have to sponsor her.

I have no idea what her academic aspirations are but given the competition for uni places these days, extracurricular stuff like this is all to the good.

TidyDancer Mon 16-Sep-13 18:56:14

If I didn't recognise your name, I'd think this was a wind up.

It's one day. There is no harm in this whatsoever. If you don't want to sponsor her, don't.

Bowlersarm Mon 16-Sep-13 18:56:30

It's you!

YABU.

It's one day. Lovely healthy way to spend a day.

sparklekitty Mon 16-Sep-13 18:58:51

Probably would have been ok if the building schools for the future hasn't been scrapped.

I guess the AIBU answer depends on how you voted really

The school have said they do all have to take part and are offering a £15 voucher for the child who raises the most.

I note your views but I maintain IANBU! grin

Sparkle - I voted Labour.

Goldmandra Mon 16-Sep-13 19:01:37

Taking part in such an event is educational.

I think it would be fair to question how taking part in this event is educational.

I would be asking how my child was going to benefit from this activity. What are the learning targets?

If it isn't acceptable for them to have a day off school to have a family day out, however educational, they need to justify how it is acceptable for the school to do this.

If my DD already walked three miles a day and didn't want to participate and the school couldn't tell me what she would be learning, I would allow her to stay home and revise.

curlew Mon 16-Sep-13 19:02:43

If your dd is "stressed to the max" by her GCSEs already then you really need to talk to the school about it. And start thinking of some strategies for her- the pressure gets much worse and the year goes on,

And the people saying 10 miles is too far- really??????? For healthy teenagers?

Don't like th idea of the sponsorship being for a school building, though. A well chosen charity would be better. But apart from that, I think a sponsored walk is a good idea.

MmmmWhiteWine Mon 16-Sep-13 19:05:52

YABU. It's one day, doing a fun activity for the benefit of the school and its pupils. Is your DD really likely to be adversely affected by missing a single day's normal timetable?

redexpat Mon 16-Sep-13 19:05:57

So are you more pissed off at her missing a day so close to exams, or pissed off that education is free at the point of delivery and parents shouldn't have to pay for school buildings? I don't think YABU for the latter, although it teaches them about having to contribute before they can benefit from something. Would you be less pissed off if it wasn't so close to her exams?

HavantGuard Mon 16-Sep-13 19:07:23

One day? I can't see the issue.

hippo123 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:08:18

How can raising funds for a new school building be for the wrong purpose? Or is it as your dd is in year 11 she won't benefit, therefore your not supporting it? Yabu. A day off will do your dd good, sounds like she's under a lot of unnessary pressure.

Runningchick123 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:08:49

YANBU.
Especially as the school are offering prizes to the child who raises the most sponsor money.
I'd be tempted to keep her off school for the day and take her to a spa to de-stress.

Thanks curlew - yes am working on the stress aspect.

I don't think 10 miles is too far for any teenager to walk, of course not - but in the context of a school day I am questioning what the point of it is - except to raise money for something I shouldn't have to pay for!

Goldmandra - that is exactly the point that aggravates me. I will be having that day off work anyway as dd3 has a training day. Dd1 and dd2 are off the previous day for a training day. If it's an educational experience free for all I could take them to London, to the V&A where they could all have a great time drawing things. But of course I don't get to do that do I?

kali110 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:09:27

Think yabu.
If you don't want to sponsor her then fine, but this will do her the world of good.
Your dd sounds like me.i was stressed to the max with exams. I put so much pressure on myself (and still do). Air, exercise and being with her pals will be a nice well deserved break!

curlew Mon 16-Sep-13 19:09:41

And at my dd's school,bother a allowed to go home after they get back so she'll have a nice long revision evening.

hippo - we will benefit as dd1 is likely to stay on for 6th form then there's dd2 and dd3 in a few years. I don't think the school should have to fundraise to replace it's own buildings but if they're going to yes we will benefit. It's the fact that this fundraising is effectively being bought with a days education that is one of my grounds for objection. Seems like a massive double standard - I'm not allowed to make that choice for my child - and yes a spa day could be a good idea grin

maddy68 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:14:29

Tbh I think it's a great thing for them to do, they get to chat to teachers on the way round in an informal setting. My school also does a sponsored walk and I feel I get to know more about the kids on that day than I do the rest of the year. It's about team building and exercise as well as raising funds. I love it -- even if I am far too unfit --

ThePinkOcelot Mon 16-Sep-13 19:15:27

YABU! You are talking about 1 day, hardly going to make a huge dent in their schooling is it?!

complexnumber Mon 16-Sep-13 19:17:18

Personally I see 'education' being more than GCSE grades.

Schools are communities. Anything that can be done to encourage pupils to engage in this community and to contribute to the wider social benefit is a good thing in my view. Even if this means making sacrifices (sometimes financial)

If we don't do this, then schools are merely reduced to exam factories.

K8Middleton Mon 16-Sep-13 19:19:38

Yanbu. This is not an optional activity and it is for a purpose that should be provided by the state.

The financial incentive for raising the most cash is outrageous. I hate sponsored crap but enforced sponsored crap that marks out the less well off and rewards the privileged is abhorrent.

Don't the school have to spend a minimum number of days educating pupils? I bet ofsted would have something to say about this (not that I'm suggesting you involve them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now