To email this woman about a spelling mistake on her products?

(24 Posts)
bumbleymummy Mon 16-Sep-13 15:51:09

A local lady makes crafts and has started posting up photos of some of her Christmas products on the FB local business page. Some of them are quite cute but she has used the word 'reindeers' a few times and I'm wondering whether I should PM her a polite message to point out that it should be 'reindeer'. I wouldn't normally bother but it would put me off buying it and I wonder if other people would be put off too and if she would maybe get more sales if she corrected it. What do you think?

ShatnersBassoon Mon 16-Sep-13 15:54:34

I doubt she'll lose sales because she's using an alternative but valid plural.

Is it really putting you off buying from her? confused

Rebelrebel Mon 16-Sep-13 15:56:24

I think it would be a helpful thing to do. I would want someone to tell me. However, I did very gently point a spelling mistake out to someone in a similar circumstance and they got a bit pissed off with me. Some people are very defensive about their spelling. I was just trying to protect her professional reputation!

ilovechips Mon 16-Sep-13 15:57:00

If I was looking to hire her for extra English tuition for example, then yes I would be put off. However just buying a few crafts? Are the crafts nice? If the crafts are nice and not covered in spelling mistakes then I wouldn't send a message!

Tee2072 Mon 16-Sep-13 15:58:30

Is it misspelled on the crafts or just on the listing?

Because if it's on the listing? YABU

Rebelrebel Mon 16-Sep-13 16:00:36

Maybe I have misunderstood but I assumed the word "reindeers" is actually written on the product (rather than just on the description). If so, then no I would not buy it. If it is just on her website or whatever then of course it wouldn't put me off.

squeakytoy Mon 16-Sep-13 16:00:44

you would look a bit of a tit really, as it can legitimately be written either way..

oldgrandmama Mon 16-Sep-13 16:06:15

I usually tell people about spelling or grammatical mistakes ... I suppose I get away with it because in my working life, I was an editor. No-one's ever got arsy with me. I've even pointed out howlers in advertising material displayed in Boots, M & S stores. Amazing how many people still get their use of the apostrophe wrong.

reggiebean Mon 16-Sep-13 16:08:14

I would point it out, but prepared for her to get angry about it.

Branleuse Mon 16-Sep-13 16:15:52

send her an anonymous message

It would put you off.....really.....why???

You have way too much time on your hands if this bothers you smile

Lazysuzanne Mon 16-Sep-13 16:19:05

it looks unprofessional...but since she's doing arty crafty stuff I think I'd be able to see it as part of her 'artistic temperament'

bumbleymummy Mon 16-Sep-13 16:59:12

It's on the item itself. Yes, it would put me off and no, I don't have too much time on my hands. It is quite noticeable when you visit the page because it is on several of her Christmas items.
I've never used 'reindeers', my children have been taught 'reindeer' and I wouldn't want them to start using 'reindeers' tbh. It may as well be 'sheeps' afaiac.

bumbleymummy Mon 16-Sep-13 17:00:09

There was also a woman selling cards with 'congratulation's' written on them.

ilovechips Mon 16-Sep-13 18:46:49

God the "Congratulation's" would have my blood boiling tbh...yanbu for that one!

redexpat Mon 16-Sep-13 19:15:01

I'd tell her. She obviously doesn't know and if no one tells her she never will!

SaucyJack Mon 16-Sep-13 19:17:06

I bet you're fun at parties.

Taz1212 Mon 16-Sep-13 19:30:50

I would tell her. I once sent Maisie Fantaisie (London cake company) an email pointing out a typo on their website and I got a lovely thank you note back.

SlobAtHome Mon 16-Sep-13 19:33:45

YANBU tell her but in a really really gentle way whilst complimenting the item <wuss>

Lazysuzanne Mon 16-Sep-13 19:44:36

yes tell her nicely, that doesnt make you a wuss, it makes you a nice person grin

bumbleymummy Mon 16-Sep-13 20:03:15

Thanks all...will have a think. Any suggestions about how to word the email? smile

Dawndonnaagain Mon 16-Sep-13 20:15:52

There is a (I am sure, lovely) chap near me who renovates furniture and advertises on facebook. He always states: 'for full dissipation see ebay' with a link to his ebay page. I'm sure he means description. I don't know whether to tell him or not.

whatastar Mon 16-Sep-13 20:19:54

yabu agree with betty

Lazysuzanne Mon 16-Sep-13 22:21:31

Well you could say something like
I know how easy it is to make these typos, I do it all the time but I happened to spot yours so thought I'd point out that you put X instead of Y

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now