To wonder how necessary this question is?

(57 Posts)
MarilynMoanroe Mon 16-Sep-13 10:27:07

My dh went to asda yesterday and bought a pair of kitchen scissors.

At the checkout the cashier asked him whether he was planning on stabbing someone with them?

Aibu to think this is a daft question, or would this really prevent potential scissor stabbings?

cory Wed 18-Sep-13 09:12:21

I was refused to buy CD by a popular female singer a few years ago because I was accompanied by my 12yo dd at the time and might have been buying to supply a minor you bet I was. The songs were on the radio all the time and hence available to anyone entering a store, but of course it is well known that infant ears can only be sullied by an item that has actually been paid for.

The supermarket cashier saw the silliness of the whole thing and after a quick sideways glance leant forward and whispered "of course if you leave your daughter here and go to a till at the other end of the shop..."

MadeOfStarDust Wed 18-Sep-13 08:57:58

I had to refuse to sell varnish (company policy is 21 or over for solvent based products) to a heavily tattooed, multiple pierced 20 year old guy yesterday.... he just raised his eyebrows and left...

reggiebean Tue 17-Sep-13 14:43:14

grin

nickelbabe Tue 17-Sep-13 12:39:47

bloody hell runaway shock

no wonder my customer got arsey!

nickelbabe Tue 17-Sep-13 12:37:22

reggie - i heard a pistol noise with your pew pew! smile

eatriskier Tue 17-Sep-13 09:46:25

onetwo you weren't planning on throwing one nor those plastic plates and decapitating someone were you? wink

I got asked for ID last week.........

.......to buy plastic plates.

I also still get asked every time for ID when I'm buying alcohol. There is a 'think 25' initiative very active in this area, but I haven't been 25 for a very long time.

27cats Tue 17-Sep-13 07:55:53

Like ricecakes and some others, I was asked my age when buying an item from the kitchen accessories section - a wooden spoon! smile

MoneyMug Tue 17-Sep-13 07:44:41

In my old house, the only source of heating downstairs was a log burner.

It was freezing cold and I'd stupidly let the fire go out. Id also run out of firelighters, so o went to the shop to get some, but they wouldn't sell them to me as I had no ID to prove I was over 16. (21 at the time) I went home but couldn't find my passport so i had to just freeze until DP came home the next day.

I've been asked for ID to buy alcohol free cider. It had zero% alcohol in it, but Can't be sold to minors cuz it looks like cider!

Vecta Tue 17-Sep-13 07:23:49

I was warned that an oboe I was buying must only be used for musical activity. Was slightly worried about what other activities could be done with an oboe, tbh.

Clearly, you have never seen American Pie. grin

SoupDragon Tue 17-Sep-13 07:15:30

a lot of these questions are designed to remove any defence you may have in court if you are dodgy

In the case of the US Visa Waiver though, if you turn out to be a genocidal drugs baron with terrorist tendencies, you're not going to have much of a defence smile

In the case of the scissor stabbing, I imagine the cashier was just having a joke based on needing to check the age of shoppers, regardless of whether she claimed to be "serious" or not.

runawaysimba Mon 16-Sep-13 23:57:34

Years ago when I worked in a cellphone shop, a pair of women came in and spent up huge, paid for the whole lot in stacks of $20 bills. I joked, "have you robbed the bank?" Turns out they had - their partners had held up an armoured van and seriously injured one of the guards. The police caught them because they'd given us all their contact details to get their phone contracts.

caroldecker Mon 16-Sep-13 23:54:32

a lot of these questions are designed to remove any defence you may have in court if you are dodgy

mignonette Mon 16-Sep-13 23:45:46

And have you ever been a member of the Communist Party? Err. No (yes, aged 16)

Do you have any narcotics on your person? Err no. (Yes hence ten minutes spent flushing Co Proxamol and DF118 down the plane toilet five minutes prior to landing)

Itsaboatjack Mon 16-Sep-13 23:45:10

I saw a guy at Gatwick get hauled away by armed cops pretty quickly when he joked he had a bomb in his bag.

zipzap Mon 16-Sep-13 23:40:44

My dad used to supply some stuff to the local American base. They had a generic contract for services that seemed to cover everything from loo rolls to nuclear warheads. It was huge and most of it (especially the warhead bit!) completely irrelevant to him and a huge waste of paper.

He always used to wonder why they were so happy to send out this to everyone - no need for spies to go in hunting for info, it was all laid out in the tenders, you'd just have to set up a little local business wanting to supply them with pies or whatever and they'd send the whole ruddy lot to you. It was one of those documents that was measured in inches and kilograms rather than by number of pages!

Oh and op yanbu - that question is never going to be answered honestly by anyone planning on stabbing anyone with the scissors!

pigsDOfly Mon 16-Sep-13 23:30:46

Yes, stupid questions, but be careful how you answer; didn't someone end up in prison several years ago when passing through, I think, Heathrow luggage check, he joked he had a bomb in his luggage.

phantomnamechanger Mon 16-Sep-13 22:49:14

OP, he should have done a manic grin and said Yes, I want to stab the next shop assistant who asks a daft question.

I mean, seriously, what WAS she thinking.

reggiebean Mon 16-Sep-13 22:42:47

Ha! Well... not currently involved, but who knows what the future holds, eh?!

(somehow, don't think that answer would go down very well!)

GoldenGytha Mon 16-Sep-13 22:35:36

Those American Visa forms also used to ask if you were a terrorist, had taken part in any terrorist activity, or were planning to in the future grin

ramblingmum Mon 16-Sep-13 22:32:51

SueDoke that made me laugh

reggiebean Mon 16-Sep-13 22:21:12

That was a pistol noise, by the way grin

reggiebean Mon 16-Sep-13 22:20:50

Yes, but surely if I was in the arms and/or ivory trade, I would be looking towards the Caymans or Switzerland for my banking needs?!

And can you imagine the rebel armies running around with ivory-handled pistols? Pew pew!!

nickelbabe Mon 16-Sep-13 21:51:10

ooh reggie guns used to have ivory handles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now