To want to run away after 4 months of being woken 8-11 time a night

(32 Posts)
Afrodizzywonders Mon 16-Sep-13 06:29:19

I can't take it anymore, my 9 month old DD is teething really badly, we co- sleep. I calpol her, use teething gel and granules but none of it makes a difference, she's also wearing an amber necklace I'm too scared to take off even though I'm sure it does nothing. I cannot think anymore. I am still BFing her and she whimpers and yells all night until I put my boob in her mouth and then she sucks away and it's bloody hurting. Half the time I can't get back to sleep even though I am exhausted.

I bf my DS who's 3 this week for 2 years and he was a bad sleeper too, but not like this.

I have no family nearby, live in the middle of nowhere, DH often works from home but a couple of times a week he has to do a 6 hour round trip to work. He looks after DS if he wakes up but DD is my responsibility. My fault as I have no idea how to settle her apart from BFing.

Help, this current state of affairs is totally unsustainable, I am now feeling unable to function. I look after both children during the day and run my own business from home, I feel like a zombie. I'm no fun, all I want is to go to a hotel for a week on my own and sleep.

DoJo Mon 16-Sep-13 20:10:30

Do be careful with the teething necklace - there's no evidence to suggest that they work and the risk of it breaking and becoming a choking hazard.

timidviper Mon 16-Sep-13 20:23:38

I know it is not popular on here but we used controlled crying with our DS after 15 months of contant waking. We went to a sleep clinic, referred by the health visitor, they excluded health problems, excluded food allergies/intolerances, advised us on routines, overstimulation, etc then finally, having excluded everything else, gave us a plan to follow. It was horrible to do but within a week he was sleeping and was a happier child all round.

He is now grown up and appears relatively normal (apart from being gorgeous, talented, etc grin) so I don't think it has harmed him.

catgirl1976 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:29:18

Do you have anyone who could take him for a night and give you a break? I know you said your family is not near by but do you have a friend you trust?

Sleep deprivation is hell

CC worked for us but obviously, not something you can start when they are teething, but once this stage is over, if he is still waking then it might be something to consider if you are not adverse to it

YY to getting his ears checked. DS had an ear infection at about this age and it really messed up his sleep.

If you can get him to take a bottle (of expressed milk if you don't want to do formula) then maybe your DH could do some night feeds and give you a break?

Really hope you get some sleep soon. It's hell and it sounds like you are doing brilliantly.

BashfulBunny Mon 16-Sep-13 20:40:19

brew well done for lasting so long! My ds woke 4-5 times per night minimum til last week when he got his tongue tie fixed. He's 12.5 months. It's utterly exhausting. You absolutely need your dp to help. Can he take your dd and ds in the morning before work and at weekends to give you some rest? You definitely need to share the load.

Is there any chance she has reflux (maybe silent) or tongue/lip tie which is causing her pain at night and making her want to feed for comfort - but compounding the problem? Saying that your breasts hurt sounds like there might be something not quite right.

Good luck

Editededition Wed 18-Sep-13 15:12:51

Just popped back to see how things are going, OP.

Are you feeling any better?
Hoping some of the suggestions bought you a little more sleep?

oohdaddypig Wed 18-Sep-13 15:17:16

OP went through something similar and you have my sympathy. Now I understand why sleep deprivation is a form of torture.

I stumbled across the baby whisperer book. Literally saved my sanity AND no controlled crying. Can't recommend it enough even if the tone of writing is for the American market.

Be warned though - dd will have to be in own cot, own room etc

FlapJackFlossie Wed 18-Sep-13 15:24:50

Put her in her own cot. Stop using your boob as a dummy/soother. Only feed when hungry, give water apart from that.

You probably don't realise it but you are most likely waking each other up by co-sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now